Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question on how bonuses and modifiers work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Mercy
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: question on how bonuses and modifiers work Reply with quote

I've noticed that whenever there's a difficulty modifier to a skill roll, it's always in implements of 2: for example a difficult task is -2 and a very difficult one is -4. However, there's never (unless I overlooked something) anything mentioned in the rulebook about -1 or -3 modifiers (the exception, of course, being a few select items like gang-up bonuses, etc.) Is there a reasoning behind this? There are some instances where a -4 seems like too heavy a modifier to a certain task a player has in mind, whereas a -2 isn't quite enough.
Also, I noticed that there are no edges that grant +1 to damage. Why is this?
Thanks!
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: question on how bonuses and modifiers work Reply with quote

Red Mercy wrote:
I've noticed that whenever there's a difficulty modifier to a skill roll, it's always in implements of 2: for example a difficult task is -2 and a very difficult one is -4. However, there's never (unless I overlooked something) anything mentioned in the rulebook about -1 or -3 modifiers (the exception, of course, being a few select items like gang-up bonuses, etc.) Is there a reasoning behind this? There are some instances where a -4 seems like too heavy a modifier to a certain task a player has in mind, whereas a -2 isn't quite enough.

There's no restriction against -1 or -3 modifiers. In fact, those modifiers do exist in the book.

There is a -1 modifier in Wound penalties, Encumbrance, Fatigue, Light Cover, Dim Lighting, Spell Maintenance, and a missed Fear Check to name the most common.

-3 is more rare but exists as well in Wounds and Encumbrance.

The GM can of course apply any modifier he wished, but typically they run in the categories of -1, -2, -4, and -6. Mostly, this is for two reasons. It fits the odds for success/failure very well, and both 1s and even numbers are faster and easier to handle the math on.

Red Mercy wrote:
Also, I noticed that there are no edges that grant +1 to damage. Why is this?

That's kind of a complex question. For one, there weren't many core Edges that were deemed necessary to grant a bonus directly to damage. The two off the top of my head are Berserk and Giant Killer, which fit their effect.

The reason why they didn't need a direct bonus to damage is because most combat Edges include an indirect bonus to damage already. Since the system allows a bonus +1d6 damage on a raise on the attack roll, any Edge which provides a bonus to the attack roll automatically provides the potential for increased damage as well.

In fact, since the average on the bonus 1d6 is a little over 4 points of damage, and it is gained by rolling 4 points higher than the TN, it can kind of be surmised that any +1 bonus to the attack roll will provide on average an equivalent +1 bonus to damage.

So in a way, any Edge that provides a bonus to attack rolls is providing a bonus to damage as well.

There are some other aspects of the reasoning (some effects were deemed manuevers like the Drop and Wild Attack as opposed to Edges), but that's probably the main thing.

Hope this helps.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: