Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Question for/from the Unskilled!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Talon One
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: A Question for/from the Unskilled! Reply with quote

OK, so totally new to the game but I like everything I've read thusfar. I do have a question however. It states that unskilled characters roll a d4-2 to succeed in an area they have no skill in. Although this makes complete sense, there doesn't seem to be anything to differentiate between characters who might be more likely to succeed because they have a higher primary stat in the attribute that would have been used to rate the skill.

Here is what I mean. Take two characters that are not skilled Climbers (i.e. they have no points spent in Climb Skill). According to the rules (if I am reading them correctly), they would both need to roll a d4-2 to check for success. This would not bare ito account the chance that one of them might be a d12 strength weightlifter, while the other might be a d4 strength old man. Shouldn't there be SOME differentiatiation?

My suggestion if there isn't one (and this might be my house rule): maybe allow a +1 per dice increase above d4 (in the appropriate attribute) to provide a little help. This way, the aforementioned bodybuilder might be required to roll a d4, but would in fact have a +2 (-2 + 4) modifier to succeed. The d4 old man would continue to suffer the d4-2. This of course would mean non-Fighting-skilled combatants would continue rolling d4's, but would be helped by better agility. GM's could of course always disallow certain actions altogether.

Of course, if I am reading the rules incorrectly, none of this might be necessary. That's why I am posting!

Thnaks ahead of time for the help!
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: A Question for/from the Unskilled! Reply with quote

Talon One wrote:
OK, so totally new to the game but I like everything I've read thusfar. I do have a question however. It states that unskilled characters roll a d4-2 to succeed in an area they have no skill in. Although this makes complete sense, there doesn't seem to be anything to differentiate between characters who might be more likely to succeed because they have a higher primary stat in the attribute that would have been used to rate the skill.

Here is what I mean. Take two characters that are not skilled Climbers (i.e. they have no points spent in Climb Skill). According to the rules (if I am reading them correctly), they would both need to roll a d4-2 to check for success. This would not bare ito account the chance that one of them might be a d12 strength weightlifter, while the other might be a d4 strength old man. Shouldn't there be SOME differentiatiation?

My suggestion if there isn't one (and this might be my house rule): maybe allow a +1 per dice increase above d4 (in the appropriate attribute) to provide a little help. This way, the aforementioned bodybuilder might be required to roll a d4, but would in fact have a +2 (-2 + 4) modifier to succeed. The d4 old man would continue to suffer the d4-2. This of course would mean non-Fighting-skilled combatants would continue rolling d4's, but would be helped by better agility. GM's could of course always disallow certain actions altogether.

Of course, if I am reading the rules incorrectly, none of this might be necessary. That's why I am posting!

Thnaks ahead of time for the help!

You had it right. Both characters would roll a d4 (and their Wild Die if a Wild Card) and subtract 2 from the final result.

For actual Skill use, Attributes don't matter. Attributes come in when learning a Skill. The character with a d12 can learn Climbing better easier (cheaper) than the character with a d4; that how the high Attribute helps with the Skill.

That's simply the SW design for how Attributes impact Skills. Everything with Skills is dependent on training and experience; Attributes just affect how easy it is to pick up that training/experience.

If you want to discuss it or look at house rules, you'd need to take that to General Chat so others can comment. I can say that idea has been proposed before and is usually rejected as bonuses such as those seriously skew the odds of success/failure.

Hope this helps.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: