Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your setting genre of choice for using with SW?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your setting genre of choice for using with SW?
Heroic Fantasy
28%
 28%  [ 35 ]
Grim Sword and Sorcery
13%
 13%  [ 16 ]
Hard Science Fiction
8%
 8%  [ 11 ]
Space Opera
5%
 5%  [ 7 ]
Post Apocalyptic
13%
 13%  [ 16 ]
Pulp Adventures 1930
12%
 12%  [ 15 ]
Superhero genre
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Horror / Cthulhu
10%
 10%  [ 13 ]
Modern day espionage-action
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 123

jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
I think most of us would really like to know,

"Where does one find the time and players to play in and/or GM all the cool SW settings we would like to?"

You just need to look...I work and am a full-time student, married with child -- I have no problems finding time to game, spend time with the family, and study. Time management (and keeping the weekly gaming session to 4 hours or less) is the key.

My players are up for anything -- they usually don't know what we'll actually be playing until they show up and I tell them.

Settings are a snap. I can "convert" pretty much any setting into a Savage Setting over a weekend (at the longest -- most take only a few hours). Wink
Mike McCall
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heroic Fantasy (both sword-and-sorcery and Tolkienesque)
Space Opera
Post Apocalyptic
Pulp Adventures 1930
Modern day espionage-action
Over-the-top near-modern action (wire-fu)

The only genre I play that isn't on my list above is superheroes. I don't have NE, and as I am deliriously in love with Silver Age Sentinels/Tri-Stat and can't really work up any enthusiasm for the setting, I probably won't anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bloodshadows
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too found myself looking for the "All of the Above" button. I voted Horror since I'm running Rippers right now and will probably do either Deadlands Reloaded or some modern Horror next but I've ran Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Bloodshadows, Conan, Delta Green and a converted D&D game with SW.... it can handle any and everything.

As for Sci Fi not getting it's due, the market is flooded with Fantasty and for many, that was the first genre they played in. I asked my players about this and they immediately came up with the big two of space adventure: Star Wars and Star Trek. They couldn't name anything else off the tops of their heads. I asked them about Fantasy and they were naming various D&D settings, novels, movies and comics.....

From a gaming standpoint, you'll always find fantasy gaming material wherever there are RPGs but that's not the case for many of the other genres sadly.
Manowar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: All the Above Reply with quote

Well, I have to say "all the above" as well. I've run fantasy on The Orb, science fiction with savaged Mutant Chronicles, and horror with The Babylon Working.

My most recent campaign is a time/dimension hopping slugfest against the minions of the Elder Gods; however, two characters are now working for Nyarlathotep in one of his many guises, but this only happened after the following:

The PCs encountered Mi-Go and a teleportation device in the California desert during 1928. This led them to Xochicalco in Mexico and their encounter with the minions of the dark god Nyarlethotep. They tried to stop the "operation" taking place in the ancient ruins and accidently damaged a time/dimension gate and set it off, causing them to be "swallowed" by a time worm.

They were transported back to 117 AD and the Roman Empire. There they learned Latin, made money in the arena, and eventually gained employment with a wealthy collector of antiquities who sent them off to recover lost artifacts that should have already been sent back from Britain. This led to their discovery of the legends surrounding Joseph of Arimathea, the Staff of Thorns, and the Carpenter's Cup (Holy Grail). They eventually fought the Cornish giant Cormoran and his wife Cormelian (with the help of a young Dumnonii tribesman named Jack, of course #1burnout ) as a means of gaining entrance to the top of St. Michael's Mount. There they entered a Doomesque structure called "Hell's Cathedral" and battled creatures from the underworld to gain the Cup. After fighting off time-travelling Nazi Nordics (members of the Thule Society) who had arrived just moments too late to stop the party, the archangel Michael appeared to the PCs and explained that their help was needed if man was to avoid an eternity of suffering. He told them to "purify" the Well of Ur.

The party recovered one of the Nazis' Time Spheres and used the dark technology to travel to ancient Mesopotamia. There they overcame incredible odds and used the Holy Grail to purify the Well of Ur and end the magical distortions across the dimensional fabric separating the million worlds--these disruptions had been facilitating the dark gods return. There were several PC deaths during the attack on Ur-Nammu, but a small group of survivors was able to escape in the Nazi sphere just as more Nazi Nordics and an SS sorceror arrived.

A failed repair roll by the Weird Scientist landed the party in the Deadlands setting, circa 1876 in Tucson, Arizona. Players of deceased PCs picked up new characters there and they soon began a war against Bayou Vermillion. There was more time travel insanity as one PC insisted that the group use the sphere to go back in time to save his family from a slave revolt that had occured on their plantation some 20 years before. During this fiasco, which backfired on them in terrible ways, they met an aspect of Nyarlethotep who told the PCs they had interfered enough. He forced them back into their time/dimension sphere and manipulated the dark technology to dump the party on a beach in 18th century Australia; the sphere ended up damaged beyond repair.

There they met Captain Cook who had beached his ship, Endeavor, for repairs and had sent out a party to look for food and fresh water. Only half of the party returned, and all of those were screaming gibberish about dead men and a horrific ruin not far inland. The party investigated the terrifying catacombs and barely escaped with their lives. A wave of zombie fever broke out and the crew was nearly halved before the PCs could get it under control. The Endeavor left Australia with barely enough sailors to see her home. After several mad adventures, the party ended up in the New World, in Mexico once again. There, at the altogether unruined city of Xochicalco, they discovered conquistadors armed with high technology, including an airship armed with a lightning gun. The party annihilated the invaders (who were working for the big "N") and took the dirigible. The crossed the continent and started back across the Atlantic toward Europe; that's where they encountered a fog bank and a crying child's voice, then the storm hit...

The PCs have since been on Caribdus, doing all they can to save the drowning world. Nyarlethotep has since revisited two of the characters and has convinced them to help him. Interestingly, "N" wants the world saved, too. At least that's what he says...

Yeah, I know its weird, but we've been having a pretty good time. I can't tell you why "N" has tolerated the PCs--my players may read this--other than to say that evil may not be at all what they expect.
zeth
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted pulp. Funny I haven't really played a pulp game yet.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
I think most of us would really like to know,

"Where does one find the time and players to play in and/or GM all the cool SW settings we would like to?"

Well, it's a bit of a cheat, but maybe a "Sliders"-style campaign would work - one where the same heroes get to (or have to) visit a different genre-world every adventure. Wink
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I was the first to vote Supers. I had never really played a Supers campaign until SW came along. I had messed around with the Marvel Super Heros system when I was a teen but never did more than make a bunch of characters and play out a few combats.

I've never played in alot of genre's though. I've usually GM'd fantasy or horror. Whatever my players feel like but once I created my own Supers campaign my players still say it's their favorite so far.

I wouldn't have went for "all of the above" because there are so many up there that don't really interest me. As for running a game, I'll never use anything but SW again. If I get to play (which is never), I'd be will to give anything a shot.

As for sci-fi....I think i'd like to play in a WH 40K game. Thats about the only one that would peek my interests. I love sci-fi to watch and read. Never had a desire to RP it though.
blackwingedheaven
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
Well, it's a bit of a cheat, but maybe a "Sliders"-style campaign would work - one where the same heroes get to (or have to) visit a different genre-world every adventure. Wink

Or run a genre mash-up game where all of them apply at various times. For example, I'm currently running Savage TORG, in which you have:
*Modern action/espionage (Core Earth)
*Cyberpunk (NipponTech/Cyberpapacy)
*Pulp superheroes/mystery men (Nile Empire)
*Heroic fantasy (Aysle)
*Pulp "Lost World" exploration (Living Land/Land Below)
*Space opera (Space Gods)
*Horror (Orrorsh/Tharkold)

And that's before you add in any of the myriad worlds that PCs can be from without actually having that world be involved in the Possibility Wars. XD

Jeremy Puckett

Check out my Savage Worlds blog, Urbis Tenebrae: http://urbistenebrae.blogspot.com/
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently in Freeport; so call it pirate fantasy. My player's characters are way too self serving to be called heroic; yet they always manage to do the right thing.

I will be running, in a few short months, a mash up of Slipstream and Deadlands. So call that Space Western Horror.

Nothing we Savages do ever fit into neat categories.
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Post-Apoc. But I would always choose it regardless of system; there's something which links me to world destruction, ...

Aww crap #1eek13 .
Mike McCall
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put down Heroic Fantasy, but my next choice is beer-and-pretzels superheroes. I think I'd prefer a more flexible powers system for playing more in-depth superheroics, as my groups tend towards alternate solutions and very creative power uses, but when the order of the day is "smash the supervillain in the face", SW works very well for us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kaltorak
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are currently playing a shared setting based on Stargate.

"Shared" meaning that, clockwise, every player DMs an adventure creating a sort of loose campaign.

Personally, I am developing some adventures in the Warhammer setting.
RPTroll
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think SW does Fantasy really well. Its build for heroic, larger than life characters that can still be taken down (after running out of bennies of course).

I GM withing my own setting named Tehas. Recently I purchased Sundered Skies and am running that as well. I just purchased Slipstream and will be running a one shot on Halloween called Awful Dead Things that's a rip off of Awful Green Things (complete with Zigwortz).
Framework Support Forum
DoubleW
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Pulp 1930s, but if I had the chance I would have voted for "grim sword and sorcery" as well (also known as pulp fantasy). Love that stuff, far more than the high fantasy of most roleplaying games.
chugosh
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another all of the above, with slight leanings for PA.
Another forgotten setting is the victorian sci-fi: Lost World, etc. Never had a successful game of Space 1889, but I really liked the idea for a while. Something along the same line but in a diferent direction is what I'm doing for my next game.
RPTroll
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say for a fact that SW does pulp Sci Fi really, really well. My group loved the Slipstream-style adventure.
Framework Support Forum
luisto
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think this is missing Historic Fiction, or something like that. I play Pirates of the Spanish Main (PotSM) but there's no option for it!! Crying or Very sad

Luis
quigs
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblittlefield wrote:
Turanil wrote:
I see that much more people prefer fantasy over sci-fi. I am curious as to the reason, and will probably start another thread on the subject...

Fantasy (any style) bores me to no end these days...haven't seen an interesting fantasy setting in years. Wink

You're not looking hard enough then Wink I've picked up quite a few fantasy settings, mostly d20, but am running them in SW and they rock! Dark Legacies, Pathfinder, Dark Sun, Birthright, The Black Company, and Song of Ice and Fire are just a few of those.

I agree there are some pretty boring vanilla settings out there though. I can't stand Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, or anything like those really.
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as to how Eberron seems boring and vanilla. I thought it would make a perfect setting for Savage Worlds.
Skycast
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite is a mish-mash, let's call it low-magic alternate history with a dash of horror thrown in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: