Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Shark Bytes] Vote for Your Favorite Setting Idea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Choose the Shark Bytes Serial Setting!
1. Monolithic
12%
 12%  [ 11 ]
2. Mafia Meets Medici
16%
 16%  [ 14 ]
3. Dying Sun Magicians
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
4. Erth 2500
21%
 21%  [ 19 ]
5. Reboot
8%
 8%  [ 7 ]
6. Kinetic
34%
 34%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 87

grubman
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddha wrote:
AGGHHH!!! #1eek

grubman wrote:
Players Guide articles I have planned so far are...

-Mixed Veggies (details for creating intelligent mutant plant player characters & edges)

To get dibs on an article simply request it and promise to have it done in a certain timeframe (designated by the Sharkbytes editor in chief)Öif no one else is working on it (or if it is long overdue) itís yours to develop with my minor input and approval.

grubman, I want Mixed Veggies!!! Man, I loved GW's mutated plants and fungi! #1cool Telekinetic Tentacled Mushrooms, GO!

Sorry... It's probably way too early to call dibs, but note my interest if Erth 2500 gets selected!

Buddha

Judging by the vote since the beginning, it will be me writing for you...and you'll have your hands full Smile

But if things do swing my way It's all yours!

Mixed Veggies is a working title (My first adventure (rough draft done) is called Canned Veggies...nuff said #1naughty )
buddha
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grubman wrote:
Judging by the vote since the beginning, it will be me writing for you)...

Shucks, Embarassed I sure hope I get selected, but I know from plenty of past experience that it ain't over 'till it's over!

grubman wrote:
...and you'll have your hands full Smile

Now that I'll look forward to! Big Ups See my next post for my first vague ideas about making Kinetic a serial setting. (Mmmm... cereal... #1drooling3 )

grubman wrote:
But if things do swing my way It's all yours!)

Thank you very much! I hope I?ll be able to do it justice!

grubman wrote:
Mixed Veggies is a working title (My first adventure (rough draft done) is called Canned Veggies...nuff said #1naughty )

Laughing

Buddha
________
New jersey medical marijuana

Last edited by buddha on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
buddha
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's the post I was running by Cutter XXIII. It hasn?t been approved, but I?m hoping it?ll be cool to post it! Some of this stuff has already come up, so sorry about that...

Hey all,

Cutter XXIII wrote:
I see Kinetic as being about regular people in crazy circumstances, rather than about heroes with cool powers. There's a moral and ethical dimension you wouldn't get with, say, Marvel Super Heroes or Necessary Evil.

Cutter XXIII, this is definitely the feel I was going for, with the powers being scary things to have, powerful but alienating. There is another aspect, that of exploring these abilities, learning what they can and can't do, that I would love to emphasize. Of course, I'd be opening up the setting to other people, so this is only the place I'm starting from, not necessarily the place it'll go!

Also, some good points were raised about the flexibility/completeness of Kinetic, as opposed to some of the other settings. I was thinking that, if this setting gets chosen, I would open up the whole ?Mind War?, with different aspects of it being set out by plot points/adventures, very much like WW's "Orpheus" rpg, with some new plot points introducing new playable character types and enemies...

This would allow people to expand the setting, adding in all sorts of cool stuff that the government has been experimenting with, while leaving the setting pretty modular for those who want to use only some of the material. So, yeah, the setting is basically our world today (or in the very near future), but with our additions. In other words, the setting would be very much a group effort. Anyway, that was my idea.

Buddha

P.S. I really love that people feel strongly about the setting, one way or the other. For those who aren?t interested in it, please vote for one of the other excellent submissions!!! And thanks very much for your comments. They make me think harder about the setting and where it can go (and hopefully where I can make it better!).
________
Gamo flat caliber match pellets

Last edited by buddha on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grubman wrote:
Since the thread has turned to questions about what the settings might actually contain, article and rule wise, I might as well post my outline for the plans for Erth 2500Öif itís picked.

Knowing all about your gaming ADD, I wish you the best of luck -- keep focused and don't get off the meds... Wink
grubman
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblittlefield wrote:
grubman wrote:
Since the thread has turned to questions about what the settings might actually contain, article and rule wise, I might as well post my outline for the plans for Erth 2500Öif itís picked.

Knowing all about your gaming ADD, I wish you the best of luck -- keep focused and don't get off the meds... Wink

Like you told me before, doing everything yourself is a bitch! Smile This is a group project. I can happily work on whatever trips my trigger at the time, while others work on what tripps thiers. Everyone is happy Smile
MountZionRyan
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: [Shark Bytes] Vote for Your Favorite Setting Idea Reply with quote

After further description from the authors, I voted for Erth 2500. But what I really want is P-Dog 3000!

grubman wrote:

In original conception (years and years ago when I lived in Roswell New Mexico, used to constantly watch the Prairy Dogs and research thier lifestyles) it was called P-Dog 3000. Basicly the player characters played intelligent mutant prairy dogs, and the setting was foucused around thier sprawling underground cities, tunnels, mythology, political structure, and such and the bizzare top world (which, again, was the same setting as Erth 2500).

Don't tease!
grubman
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: [Shark Bytes] Vote for Your Favorite Setting Idea Reply with quote

MountZionRyan wrote:
After further description from the authors, I voted for Erth 2500. But what I really want is P-Dog 3000!

grubman wrote:

In original conception (years and years ago when I lived in Roswell New Mexico, used to constantly watch the Prairy Dogs and research thier lifestyles) it was called P-Dog 3000. Basicly the player characters played intelligent mutant prairy dogs, and the setting was foucused around thier sprawling underground cities, tunnels, mythology, political structure, and such and the bizzare top world (which, again, was the same setting as Erth 2500).

Don't tease!

Prairy dogs are really interesting. They have these huge (miles and miles) underground complexes, and operate in family units. I just imagined what it was like if they were intelligent. Inside the tunnels was going to play out with lots of political and city plots, like the rats of nim, and outside was going to be very Gamma-Worldesque. In the end I couldn't see how to make it into a well rounded game for extended play, and opted for the more generic and versitile Erth 2500.
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only four days left and we're hanging at 80 votes!

(The above message constitutes a shameless *bump*.)
grubman
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day left! Now is the time! #1chaos

ORDER 66!

I said ORDER 66!

...crap
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, Dave...I've just made a deal that will keep the Empire out of here for a long time.

I'll announce it once the voting's done. Should make a lot of people happy. (Or at least 46 of them.) Smile
grubman
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutter XXIII wrote:
Don't worry, Dave...I've just made a deal that will keep the Empire out of here for a long time.

I'll announce it once the voting's done. Should make a lot of people happy. (Or at least 46 of them.) Smile

I'll jump to the assumption that you are debating using the top two settings?

Personally I would be "against" this. With the size of the community, readers, and potential writers, I think trying to do two or more settings as a group project would be spreading potential contributers too thin...and just lead to a lack of articles actually getting done in time for them to be usefull.

I think focusing on just one setting (as originally planned) is the way to go (even if that particular setting isn't everyones cup of tea). If that one goes well and as planned, then we can start thinking about running another setting.

Just my $.02
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt any eventuality could lead to a greater lack of articles than Shark Bytes is already experiencing. Wink Time was JB could publish 100-page issues; nowadays we're lucky to get 25.

My thought was that Kinetic would require lots of info about Characters (since the "setting" is basically modern-day), while Erth 2500 would likely require more in the way of Locations (since the setting is "weird"). That's a generalization, of course, but you know what I mean. Both would do well with Savage Tales.

Quote:
I think trying to do two or more settings as a group project would be spreading potential contributers too thin.

I see the opposite. If we have settings that appeal to more people, more people will contribute. And any way I can get more people contributing more material, the better.
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutter XXIII wrote:
I doubt any eventuality could lead to a greater lack of articles than Shark Bytes is already experiencing. Wink Time was JB could publish 100-page issues; nowadays we're lucky to get 25.

Actually, the majority of the articles were either authored by myself or the same 3-4 regular contributors or they were OGC adaptations....I never received many outside submissions.

Last edited by jblittlefield on Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubman, given the interest in Erth 2500, would you be willing to do it as a "one-shot" setting similar to Fate of the Terra Ariel?
grubman
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutter XXIII wrote:
Grubman, given the interest in Erth 2500, would you be willing to do it as a "one-shot" setting similar to Fate of the Terra Ariel?

Very possibly yes. A lot of the player and GM articles are things people can do on thier own anyway, and custimize it to their own prefferences. An overview of the setting along with pre-gen characters is all that would really be needed to play an adventure in the world.

My only problem is that it's impossible to include all the stuff in a single adventure, Smile The first one I wrote (rough copy) doesn't even touch on the aliens or the domed cities, ect.

But yes, very possible. The adventure will be a bit more time consuming than an article, but I will start the long typing and editing process. Smile
grubman
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way...

Congratulations Buddah! Smile
buddha
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks grubman!

Still got the rest of the day, and I've got to get back to work, but I've got my fingers crossed! I'd be very pleased if other settings got picked too! There are some great ideas I think a lot of us have for the various settings! Maybe it could be an alternating thing? Like every other, or every third issue? If there's enough material, there could be more issues!!!

Buddha
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa

Last edited by buddha on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
grubman
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddha wrote:
Still got the rest of the day, and I've got to get back to work, but I've got my fingers crossed!

Ha ha! I don't think you have to worry, it's been a landslide from the beginning. I'm looking forward to the first article and seeing this thing develope.
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grubman wrote:

My only problem is that it's impossible to include all the stuff in a single adventure, Smile The first one I wrote (rough copy) doesn't even touch on the aliens or the domed cities, ect.

But yes, very possible. The adventure will be a bit more time consuming than an article, but I will start the long typing and editing process. Smile

If you're interested in collaborating, I'm currently running a Savage Post-Apoc game set in what was once northern Montana. Here is a bunch of it; you can incorporate anything that strikes your fancy.

Also, I'm an Editor in real life; I'd be happy to help you with that portion too.

And congrats to you, Buddha...I'm looking forward to writing some stuff for Kinetic!
Billybuck Dancer
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, congratulations are in order. You have me cleanly divided, Kinetic. Do I write for you and support the setting search that was so kind to me, or do I go my own way and see what Monolithic has to offer?

Would Shark Bytes be interested in an Invisible Cities-style travelogue? I certainly hope so, because that is going on the idea pad for the time being. Beyond that, what's the next announcement concerning Kinetic?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: