Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

House Rules: Both Strange and Cool
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I cribbed from the World of Darkness games I attempted to play:

I have my characters choose a Nature to further define their characters, and give one Bennie a session for role playing Natures or Hindrances well...

Natures are very broad ideals of what the characters general demeanor my be, for example:

Bravo: There are winners and losers in
life, and you are definitely a winner. You reinforce your self-worth by dominating situations, whether they're physical brawls or political intrigues. You might terrorize or protect the weak, but such weakness is not something you tolerate in yourself. You don't know the meaning of fear, and failure is not an option. Then again, you're not sure what discretion means either, and compromise isn't on your list of choices.
Gain a Benny whenever you make someone else back down.

Or...

Architect: You are driven to create something of lasting value for those who come after you, whether you create a new social order, a company, art or some other legacy. Disorder and decay are your enemies; you hope to bring about order and progress through your efforts. If you become fixated on your goal, you may force your dream on others.
Gain a Benny when you accomplish a significant goal.

I've found the combination of Natures and Hindrances can make for some very cool roleplaying moments, and even my combat monsters dig it when they get to play these out!!!

Boo-Yah!!! Wink
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look like White Wolf's natures.
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are. Smile The post even said so when it said "World of Darkness".

To be evil is to live backwards
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They are. The post even said so when it said "World of Darkness".

What he said... Laughing

Wink
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you found a use for them then, because they just never seemed to do anything for us in WoD, hehe
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they really didn't. I figured that in Savage Worlds, although a lot of it is geared for fats combat resolution, using this, and attaching an actual mechanic to it can up the ante a bit for role playing, even those that don't do it often. It has worked beautifully so far...
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kythkyn wrote:
I'm glad you found a use for them then, because they just never seemed to do anything for us in WoD, hehe

Laughing It is good to know that I was not the only one to come to this conclusion. I like the idea of them giving bennies, they actually have a point. I will have to dust off my old Vampire stuff and see if I can also use this in my games.

I have seen some really good ideas on this thread. Savage Worlds is one game that I have found needs very little rules tinkering. However there are specific settings that benefit from such tinkering to give a certain feel or play style. Some alternate rules fit different GM styles, too.

To be evil is to live backwards
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I kind of like the idea of using the natures in the way you have it, Virgobrown72. I may try to use it with a smaller group and see how it goes.
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeeleyOne wrote:
Kythkyn wrote:

:lol: It is good to know that I was not the only one to come to this conclusion. I like the idea of them giving bennies, they actually have a point. I will have to dust off my old Vampire stuff and see if I can also use this in my games.

I can safely say I won't need to dust my olde Vampire books off, hehe. They still get quite a good amount of use at my table.
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yh, with the Natures+Hindrances, it really brought a few characters to life, and made for some cool and amusing roleplaying moments...

Give it a whirl!!! Wink
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonah Hex wrote:

On a success but no raise, you act as normal but it counts as an action (-2 MAP on any actions taken this round).

Consider this stolen
Nordicnomad
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I like that we're doing right now is no one hit incapacitation, so monster damage can only do two wounds in a single turn.

But to even it out the GM designates a consequence for getting your clock cleaned and the character is unceremoniously thrown across the room and prone. Examples:
- Important equipment is lost or broken. Gun has barrel snapped off, eye glasses are missing, you lose a shoe. If you're lucky you can tell something's broke before you try to use it again. :/
- Specific injuries. Concussion that makes -2 knowledge rolls until healed, sprained knee that reduces pace, hair or eyebrows are burned off in evenly causing a -2 to charisma until it grows back.
- Character has on the fear or sanity tables.
- Where appropriate, the character is prone and unconscious for one turn before he can get up.

Livens things up a bit beyond your typical character gets his ass kicked with one massive blow situation.
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont do strength minimums for weapons. Confused
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virgobrown72 wrote:
I dont do strength minimums for weapons. :-?

Do you still use the rule about STR needing to be the same or higher than the weapon's damage to do full weapon damage?

Like, if a d4 STR character used a longsword, would she roll d4+d4 for damage or d4+d8?
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent one that I implemented (thanks to another GM I know):
Magical healing is not modified by the wound levels on the target (unless the healer is trying to heal himself of course)
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Clint wrote:
Common sense always trumps anything pretending to be an "overarching" rule.
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Do you still use the rule about STR needing to be the same or higher than the weapon's damage to do full weapon damage?

Like, if a d4 STR character used a longsword, would she roll d4+d4 for damage or d4+d8?

D4+D8. I just rock with the fact that they aren't as likely to do as much damage as a character with higher strength...
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virgobrown72 wrote:
Quote:

D4+D8. I just rock with the fact that they aren't as likely to do as much damage as a character with higher strength...

Ok, I see. Have you noticed any difference vs. the RAW?
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhhhhh, mainly in the fact that with RAW, chara ters who do t have the requires die suffer a little more when it comes to weapon use. It kinda bergs them a little, cause RAW kills any weapon bonuses too. The way ive been playing it, it just seems simpler, but still playable...
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

• When characters advance, they can purchase a new skill at a d4 for one skill point, just like in character creation.
  • You can take any combination of Major and Minor Hindrances during Character Creation, but cannot gain more than 4 Hindrance Points. (e.g. you can take two Majors or four Minors, not necessarily one Major and two minors)
  • If you don't purchase an attribute increase for an advance in one rank, you can get it at a later rank (e.g. if you don't do an attribute increase as a Novice Advance, you can do two in Seasoned Rank). Same with the New Power Edge.
  • When using the Skill Specialization setting rule, you get one free Skill Specialization when you get the skill at a d4.
  • If you miss on a Throwing roll, the object goes in a random direction 1 inch per number you missed the TN by (rather than 1d6 inches regardless of how badly you missed)
  • In Necessary Evil and other high tech settings, Piloting covers the functionality of Boating and Driving
  • In some settings, I merge Climbing and Swimming into Athletics (Agi).
  • When I make pregens for cons, I rename "Investigation" to "Research" to avoid the problem of people thinking it's for CSI crime investigation
  • In Deadlands, all characters must have a hat

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Dylan S
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boating in 50F is tied to the player's choice of Agi or Smarts, depending on what kind of sailor they want their character to be.

If you play SW on your birthday, you get 3x bennies that carry over to subsequent sessions 'til they're spent.

Uh... that's the only one I can think of offhand, although I use a few others that've been mentioned here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: