Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question on How to Throw a Lightning Bolt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volt875
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Question on How to Throw a Lightning Bolt Reply with quote

Hey all, like many gamers I imagine I came to the glory that is Savage Worlds after playing much D&D. So I was wondering, is there a power out there that is like D&D's lightning bolt? More specificly the "Line" type targeting? I've been doing some converting of old D&D modules to Savage Worlds and got to thinking about how to do a black dragon's acid spit.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bolt power doesn't cut it (in that it only hits one target), you could use the Fantasy Companion's jet power, which creates a damage stream in a straight line 1" wide and 12" long from the caster. Damagewise, it works just like the burst power (in that targets dodge or take 2d10 damage).

Lightning and acid would of course both be the elemental trappings found in SWD or the Fantasy Companion.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Volt875
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thank you very much Thunderforge (fitting name given the topic's title anyhoo) I think that jet power is just what I was looking for.
Bavix
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, every time I've seen Jet used it's been as a lightning bolt. It just fits.
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, is there a power for something like chain lightning? My friend came up with a really good idea on how to do it (granted he was getting lightning bolt mixed up with chain lightning at the time but anyhoo). You'd cut a piece of string 12 inches long and then use that as your range thingy.
Energy
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volt875 wrote:
As an aside, is there a power for something like chain lightning? My friend came up with a really good idea on how to do it (granted he was getting lightning bolt mixed up with chain lightning at the time but anyhoo). You'd cut a piece of string 12 inches long and then use that as your range thingy.

The closest you're going to get is Blast. Taking out a piece of string to figure out the exact number of dudes hit by lightning is pretty much the direct opposite of Savage World's, FFF, throw-down-a-template-and-wipe-some-extras-off-the-board gameplay style.

It's your game and all, so if string sounds awesome, go for it, but it's almost certainly more trouble than it's worth.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some games sytems the lightning bolt and chain lightning are different and in some almost the same. Sometimes it goes in a line and hits any thing in that line and sometimes it can hit one target and then turn and hit the next closest target and so on and so on till five targets are hit. Sometimes the power of the strike against each victim is the same and sometimes weaker with each hit.

The fun with this is how often you kill you parties members or you do the math and lay out a fire plan and figure the last hit will be on your party but only the lowest damage type. In one game I had a perfect line up and a magic user at each end of the enemy line had a chain lighting spell and killed 5 enemy at once. And then I spent house reloading the "Spell Jammer" PC game due to the lighting spell making random bounces off walls I had not expected.

The 12 inch string is a good idea for chain lighting, decide how many targets it can or HAS TOO hit and then figure out if the damage is constant or gets weaker with each hit. Will it bounce off any obstacle and are they are FFF (Fun Fatal Fumbles) with snake eyes
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also just use Bolt to represent chain lightning, describing multiple bolts as the lightning arcing from one opponent to the next.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
In some games sytems the lightning bolt and chain lightning are different and in some almost the same. Sometimes it goes in a line and hits any thing in that line and sometimes it can hit one target and then turn and hit the next closest target and so on and so on till five targets are hit.

The former would be covered by the Jet power (which didn't make the transition from the Fantasy Companion to the SWD).

Quote:
The 12 inch string is a good idea for chain lighting, decide how many targets it can or HAS TOO hit and then figure out if the damage is constant or gets weaker with each hit. Will it bounce off any obstacle and are they are FFF (Fun Fatal Fumbles) with snake eyes

Love that alternate FFF. Twisted Evil
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volt875 wrote:

Really, I'd go with a trapping for Bolt. Start with the firing of 3 2d6 bolts, and work from there...

Chain Lightning Trapping - The character spends 3 PPs and makes his Spellcasting roll as usual (3 Spellcasting dice and one Wild Die). Chain Lightning must be used on at least 2 different targets in range, and attacks must alternate between targets. The first bolt does 2d8 damage, the second does 2d6 damage, and the third does 2d4 damage.

www.peginc.com
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighting Bolt! Burst power, but change the area to a 1" by 12" line.

Chain Lightning! is either a multiple-target Bolt power or the Burst power. If the Burst power only hits enemies (never allies) then increase the cost by +2 (that's a significant advantage to the trappings).

That's how I've handled them in my games. Because Trappings are awesome.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:

Which makes it identical to the jet power! Wink

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:
ValhallaGH wrote:

Yeah, but I didn't have to buy a book to get it. Wink
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
Thunderforge wrote:
ValhallaGH wrote:

"Hey kids, tonight's ramen is courtesy of ValhallaGH!" Wink

www.peginc.com
Volt875
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
ValhallaGH wrote:
Thunderforge wrote:
ValhallaGH wrote:

Awwww, well I already own the fantasy compaion so now I'm gonna have to go buy Hell on Earth and Nemisis so Clint can upgrade to Mac and Cheese so I don't have to feel bad ha ha
MagusRogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what, you DON'T have those books?!!? Get on it!!!! #gunbattle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord Stone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:
ValhallaGH wrote:

Which makes it identical to the jet power! :wink:

I am guessing this is why it didn't make SWD... an alternate template is a perfectly good trapping, no need to print another power because of it.

MagusRogue wrote:
what, you DON'T have those books?!!? Get on it!!!! :blam:

Waiting for the Deluxe Edition of the Fantasy Companion... besides, it is very hard to find in print for a reasonable price these days. (PDF is fine of course, but I prefer to have a print version).
Starhawk
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volt875 wrote:

Awwww, well I already own the fantasy compaion so now I'm gonna have to go buy Hell on Earth and Nemisis so Clint can upgrade to Mac and Cheese so I don't have to feel bad ha ha

I will gladly donate a bottle of tasty Heinz ketchup to go on top of Clint's kids' Mac and Cheese.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:

Man, I wish I had ramen.
ahoapap
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this guy sums it up very succinctly and efficiently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=j_ekugPKqFw#t=3s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: