Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Obatron Productions] New Licensee Opening with Kickstarter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickeya
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: [Obatron Productions] New Licensee Opening with Kickstarter Reply with quote

Hello!

Some folks recognize my forum name from posts when I freelanced with Savage Mojo, and others are likely to recognize it from my posts about Savage Insider. Today, I introduce myself as the co-owner of Obatron Productions. The other co-owner is my husband, Bob. From a couple of new "likes" we've gotten, I'm pretty sure a few folks have already noticed our logo on the Savage Worlds licensee page, which I'm really excited about!

We are wrapping up the work on our debut product, Tunse'al Setting Guide, and have gone ahead with a Kickstarter in order to raise funds to participate in Free RPG Day, which is June 2013. Tunse'al is a tribal, fantasy setting taking place somewhere that is clearly not Earth. Our Kickstarter gives you a chance to pick up the Tunse'al Setting Guide, before anyone else can even buy it, as well as many goodies that will be released later, including the Free RPG Day product, Tunse'al Quick Starts and Side Tracks.

To learn more about the Kickstarter project as a whole and Tunse'al in particular, please visit our project page. We've created a couple of videos and outlined what we thought was the most helpful information for at-a-glance reading.

Thank you for your time!

Vickey
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vickey and I previously agreed to have all of the content from the PDF be importable into Wild Card Creator once both products are released. So if you get the Tunse'al Setting Guide PDF for Savage Worlds, you'll also get the ability to make characters for the setting using a character creator!

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordinarily I tend to shy away from most fantasy settings, but this looks very interesting. I may have to purchase this one when i learn more of it... Wink
vickeya
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virgobrown72 wrote:
Ordinarily I tend to shy away from most fantasy settings, but this looks very interesting. I may have to purchase this one when i learn more of it... Wink

Well then, I shall endeavor to provide you learning material! Smile

You might have already seen this bit on the Kickstarter:

Quote:
Tunse'al is a tribal, fantasy setting in a world very different from our own. There are five dominant races, four of which are playable. The Gelid are blue-skinned diplomats and scholars who find paths across the rugged Baarek Mountains; the Kresh are the amphibious conservationists of the swamps who, from their homes in The Wetlands, have vowed to protect Tunse'al; the Korrin are the large, red-skinned, two-horned people of great passion who dwell in the jungles of The Footlands; and the Gales are the desert folk sporting weathered skin, nictitating membranes, and an uncanny knack for navigating the sands as they roam The Drylands.

The fifth race, the Skin Eaters, is a twisted version of the Kresh, created by the same goddess who created the Kresh, but not before she had gone quite insane. The Skin Eaters being an enemy is one thing all the other races can agree on.

The races presented are not all that's different from what we see on Earth. Tunse'al is a super continent, thousands of miles wide and tall. Tunse'als have two suns, three moons, and all the havoc such a celestial set-up plays on a planet. Magic exists, coming either from the deities or from the land's resources themselves. Then there are the ferocious reptile-like beasts, saurs, that make Tunse'al their home, too. From trees that look as if they touch the sky to mountains that actually do, to plants that can kill by touch and fey that are sometimes friendly and sometimes horrifying, Tunse'al is a place where honor is everything, money does not exist, and the world really is out to get you!

There's so much to tell and I didn't want to overload the Kickstarter with too much information, so here are some other interesting bits about it:

*There are no humans. None. Nada. There are two races, the Gelid and Gales, who have strong similarities to humans, but they have striking differences.

*Magic exists, but is not innate; all have the potential to either learn it or have prayers answered by the gods, but either happens only through the practice of the language of magic

*Mining ore is taboo, so metals are rare, limiting technology to those things that can be made from other material; that also means there are no coins

*Money does not exist, but commerce does; that means Tunse'als have to be motivated by something other than money; it also means groups who like to incorporate interpersonal skills as part of the story line have an easy way to do that most any time since there is some degree of "what's in it for me" or "why would I want to do THAT" in accepting challenges

*Honor is everything largely because nothing is money; the global society is tribal, so the only thing that gets you accepted, respected, or elevated is your honor; those at the top of the tribe are generally revered; the idea of what is honorable varies, though - to some, it's doing what you say, to some, it's fighting fairly, to some, it's doing something you don't want to do for the sake of another

*The world really is out to get you; surviving a land where humanoid-like beings, ahem, co-exist with dinosaur-like beings, a slew of wild animals, nasty insects, and dangerous plants is not easy; there are no roads and few serious, stable paths; and the races' physiology works against them when they leave their normal environments (just watch someone from a tropical environment in the middle of a snow storm or someone from a frigid area simply walking down the road on a 95 degree day with 30% humidity to get an idea of what we mean by that!)

*Other things that aren't typical in fantasy: The Kresh are genderless, the Korrin have very few inhibitions, the Gales are largely nomadic, the Gelid are largely driven by a desire to learn, and the non-playable Skin Eaters have to eat skin to survive.

We love questions! If you have any in particular that come to mind, we'd be happy to answer them!

Vickey
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No humans? I like it already. I will have to take a closer look. I know I like playing anthro animal characters.
vickeya
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodyax wrote:
No humans? I like it already. I will have to take a closer look. I know I like playing anthro animal characters.

Two, the Gales and the Gelid, are close enough to human for those who rather stick with something almost kindred, but for folks like you who like to try characters a little less familiar, there are the Kresh and the Korrin.

The Kresh are amphibious. You can think of them as frog-like, although they are not simply upright frogs. If you check out the trailer (the second video), you can easily tell which one is a Kresh.

The Korrin are the largest of the races, standing between 7-8' tall with a muscular build to match. These are the horned folks. They happen to have an affinity for cats with rare exception. They're pretty easy to spot in the video, too.

Hope to see you on the Kickstarter!

Vickey
Jux
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems interesting. Great art. Cool new races ... no fantasy cliches. Only thing that is cliche, is the apostrophes in everything "foreign". Why not call them lizardmen, cursed ones, horned, etc. Easy and understandable.
vickeya
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jux!

As far as the naming, we called them new things because they aren't any of the things you mentioned. Well, except for the Korrin; they are horned, but it never occurred to us to call them by a physical descriptor rather than a name of a people.

Ex. I'm an American who lives in New York. So while I've got a lot of physical characteristics, most folks would call me an American or, for those who accept a transplanted person to NY, a New Yorker.

Thanks for the feedback!

Vickey
vickeya
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Updates! Reply with quote

We've added some new reward levels, add-ons, and an at-a-glance reward image to make it easier to see what exactly you get with what tier. We've also got our stretch goal image ready, just in case we need it...and I hope we do! Smile

So you don't have to scroll back through everything, here's the link to the Tunse'al Kickstarter for Free RPG Day!

Have a great day!

Vickey
vickeya
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Previews & Updates Reply with quote

Hello Folks!

Wow! What a couple of weeks it's been.

I tried attaching a preview to our Tunse'al Kickstarter, but it won't accept PDF files. So, I made a video showing the sample in Savage Worlds format. It's set to another original track by Artem Bank exclusively for Tunse'al. I also attached a few pages as images, which means they aren't as clear as they are in the proper file type, but they're still good.

Meanwhile, I loaded a PDF to DriveThruRPG. I made it live to test how the process works and then *thought* I set it to not be live, figuring I'd release that when the Kickstarter is over for folks who miss it. Well, apparently that didn't work because it's out! The folks there approved it, then it got picked up by my editor-in-chief over at Savage Insider (man, he's quick!) and now we've had 50+ downloads of the free preview in about four hours! I wish I could tell all of them about the Kickstarter so early birds could catch the worm, so to speak, but that wouldn't go over well with the company, I'm sure!

We're 65% funded and itching to release more stretch goals. We've updated the site with a variety of information and images, as well as the first "gimme" stretch goal and hints about what lies behind the numbers in the stretch goal image.

Thanks for your support whether just reading these posts, passing the word, or even backing us.

Have a great day!

Vickey
vickeya
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: We Made It! Reply with quote

I'm happy to let folks following this thread know that we've made it! We still have until 11:59 p.m. Eastern on Sunday, November 25, to go, and we've gotten through our first three stretch goals, including one that we added in just for fun.

We're also hosting a Google+ Hangout for one more chat before it's all done. Check out the Hangout details for more information.

Have a great day!

Vickey Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: