Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Edges for exploration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salcor
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Edges for exploration Reply with quote

I am working on a setting that focuses exploration and I think I need to create some edges that enhance this aspect of the game. But before I start working, I was wondering if anyone knows of some existing edges that focus on exploration?

Salcor
Lord Karick
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to look at Hellfrost, they might have something. I'd set up an exploration segment for our latest session, but the party avoided it. I'd been looking forward to running it. Basically, they're under time pressure (until the next full moon Cool), didn't know the way and were looking for a mountain with a distinctive shape. I was going to make it a Dramatic Task: Survival with 8 Successes needed, rolling 2x per day and including random encounters and food foraging rules. All set up nicely and they dodged it!
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Karick wrote:
You might want to look at Hellfrost, they might have something. I'd set up an exploration segment for our latest session, but the party avoided it. I'd been looking forward to running it. Basically, they're under time pressure (until the next full moon Cool), didn't know the way and were looking for a mountain with a distinctive shape. I was going to make it a Dramatic Task: Survival with 8 Successes needed, rolling 2x per day and including random encounters and food foraging rules. All set up nicely and they dodged it!

Ain't that always how it goes? My problem is I setup an epic bad guy and when I FINALLY get to it one player draws a Joker, and then plays the adventure card that let's him take any edge (the double damage on a joker naturally) and ends up rolling epic amounts of damage. :/
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a little vague. What sort of exploration are we talking about? Are we talking about the Days of Yore, something a bit more modern, or exploring other planets in the far future? As for existing Edges which could be useful, there's Alertness, Jack-of--All-Trades, Scavenger, and Woodsman. Depending on whether or not you allow Weird Edges, Beast Bond and Beast Master might also help.
Sadric
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is in some settings a edge that allows to bypass a encounter if the scout rolls notice-2 to get a warning about the encounter.

If you base the exploration on a hexmap it could be possible to made edges centered on hexploring. Half time to explore a hex fully, for example, or the possibility to guess the surrounding hexes features.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kinds of explorations? A naval explorer / Star Trek type exploration will be very different from slogging through South American jungles full of monsters, and that will be different from raiding temples like Indiana Jones or Lara Croft, which will be different from exploring the top of Mt. Everest or the north pole.

Generally, the mentioned edges (Alertness, jack-of-all-trades, Woodsman, Scavenger, and Beast Master) would be useful for most of those. If random encounters are a concern, something like the Scout edge from Deadlands: Reloaded would be most welcome.

Environment-specific professional edges could be useful (swimming-related edges if there is a lot of coastal and river exploration), as could endurance-focused professional edges (like the Ranger Tab edge from Tour of Darkness).
Travel and navigation edges may be appropriate. These would reduce travel times, reduce travel hazards, and reduce chances of getting lost. Generally only appropriate if crossing vast distances of unknown and largely uninteresting territory (like oceans).
Don't overlook the existing uses of the Survival skill. Knowing directions, locating sustenance, creating shelter, and increasing odds of survival in all environments.

Good luck!
salcor
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The setting is science fiction, initially exploring a new planet as well as alien ruins. Eventually it will lead to space exploration a la star trek.

Salcor
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

salcor wrote:
The setting is science fiction, initially exploring a new planet as well as alien ruins.

Woodsman, Thief, and Scout (see DL:R, though I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Hellfrost has a similar edge) will cover these pretty well. Exploration is mostly a matter of going places and seeing what's there; the trick is surviving the journey.
Scholar could also be excellent if the player has the correct knowledge skills. That's something you should focus on before the campaign starts.
salcor wrote:
Eventually it will lead to space exploration a la star trek.

This one will be fairly different - it's like being an explorer on the south Pacific. There are a lot of "empty spaces" where random hazards and other travelers can accost you, but the focus is on the exotic locations that the party comes across. Some of those locations are known and others are unknown, but all are filled with surprises.

Relevant settings to mine include 50 Fathoms, Space 1889, The Flood (DL:R), and some of the aspects of other settings (Hellfrost and Iron Dynasty both have large areas that used to be known but are now full of surprises).
Interestingly, these have only a handful of edges related to exploration, but have a lot of Setting Rules on the subject (random encounters, travel times, navigation hazards, weather, etc.).

Good luck!
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally the Travel rules in Savage Worlds Deluxe cover exploration pretty well (at least until you get to the destination) and there are not any Edges related to it at the moment.

Deadlands Reloaded has a modified system of traveling in which you find monsters on the way to your destination and the Scout Edge lets you bypass encounters along the way.

There's also the Artifact Hunter Edge in the Fantasy Companion which gives you better odds of finding special items in dungeon loot.

Aside from that, I'm not sure there is really much of a need for exploration. Sure, Kirk is an explorer, but if I were to make a character sheet for him, I'm not sure that I would need to give him any Edges for exploring.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
salcor
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the inputs I will have to look through all of the references. I guess I have to look at system rules too. With the system I intend to use some version of tech index to differentiate between different types of technology from the more advanced races.

Salcor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: