Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Target Posse size?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahoapap
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Target Posse size? Reply with quote

I have 6 PCs starting out with the Coffin Rock adventure and then moving right into The Flood.

Is that too many? Will I have to adjust encounters for 6?

What is the target Posse size for a standard adventure?

Should I pick my least favorite friend and tell them to GTFO?
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most RPGs, I think Savage Worlds assumes a group of PCs from 3 to 6, although; if the GM can handle more than the game works fine. The game runs fine at the higher end of players due to the Fast part of Fast, Furious, Fun. Many of the Adventures setup the opposition not as 12 banditos, but rather 2 banditos per player making it easier to tailor battles to the number in the posse.

I can personally attest that if you as a GM can handle 6 PCs, then Deadlands Reloaded can also handle 6 PCs. Personally, 6 players is my limit as any more and I feel as if someone is going to be ignored.

As for Coffin Rock, I don't have so I don't know. The Flood will be fine with a posse of 6.
SteelDraco
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the mood youre going for, too. More players makes for a more lighthearted game, with less roleplaying by each PC. If you want an action-heavy game, six is just fine. If you're going for a horror tone it will be tough to maintain, in my experience.
archon1024
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree with the others that 6 should be fine. The FFF philosophy Savage Worlds makes even larger groups quite manageable at the table. Just a few weeks ago, I ran The Wild Hunt quickstart adventure with a group of 10 PCs. Table talk did get a bit out of control, and the encounters were definitely a bit easier (even scaled up) than with a smaller group... but we had a great time.

For me, 3 PCs is the absolute best party size. Everyone stays engaged and has a critical role to play in group dynamic. Things are also a bit more challenging since the group always has a weakness of some sort that they can't cover.
Nordicnomad
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Target Posse size? Reply with quote

ahoapap wrote:
I have 6 PCs starting out with the Coffin Rock adventure and then moving right into The Flood.

Is that too many? Will I have to adjust encounters for 6?

What is the target Posse size for a standard adventure?

Should I pick my least favorite friend and tell them to GTFO?

I'm playing in a group of 3 for a shadow run SW game and a group of 6 for a DLR game presently and both work fine.

Honestly though, the larger game is probably a better idea since we can still play even if a couple people are out of town or otherwise can't make it. The smaller group seems almost doomed to a TPK with the gritty setting if one person decides not to show up.

The jokes and distractions are a little out of control at times, but that seems to make it more enjoyable for everyone so the GM doesn't seem to mind too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: