Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the settings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Con Suite
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DevM
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: What are the settings? Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
I noticed that while things like Rippers gets listed as a setting in the Explorer Credits. Darwin's world and Olympian Breed (Both licensed settings) are getting listed as Homebrew. Then all my Triple Ace games (Daring tales of the Space lanes and Daring Tales of Adventure) are all getting lumped as one setting.
I don't have any problem with any of this. I was just wondering if there was an 'Official' list of settings so that I can branch out and make Legendary someday (2 yrs. Tops).

Thanks
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might fit better under Hey Pinnacle!

It sounds like the main distinctions are a) being a PEG setting or a licensee (Rippers is PEG, Olympian Breed is licensee) and b) general confusion (TAG's Daring Tales lines are excellent, and often lumped together, despite their many differences). I doubt that Necropolis: 2250 is being lumped in with them. Wink
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it was explained to me, Daring Tales are just a series of adventures, and not really a setting unto themselves. Thus, they are homebrew. Same goes for the PEG companion books ... they are not settings.

I was allowed to use Thrilling Tales as a one of my settings, and that one as I understand it, was on the borderline of being a treated as a Companion.

I would have expected, however, that Darwin's World and Olympian Breed would be treated as specific settings for Explorer Credits. It's possible that the person entering the event (assuming it was not you) entered them as homebrew. I did that once for something that really should have been listed as Slipstream.

For more info, you can contact Steve or Mike directly through the Explorer's Society website ... or look for their posts here.
DevM
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: That's why I asked Reply with quote

Hey Mike,
Thanks for the input. Actually, you are right, I did list Olympian breed as Homebrew. Although the setting was created by Palewolf Publishing I wrote the Modules myself. So, I figured they were homebrew. But, I did list the Darwin's world stuff under it's setting name and that ended up in hombrew as well.
They listed Triple Ace games as a setting. I don't have a problem with that. Triple Ace's Daring tales lines do have a lot in common.
This is why I asked the question. I think there should be a little guidance as to what is and is not a 'setting'.
As for contacting the guys directly. I might try that. But, I was directed to this forum from the Explorer's Society website. So, I thought I would just ask the question globally. I'll contact Steve and Evil Mike later if I have to. Hopefully they'll see this and post and Official list for people to look up in the future.

Thanks,
Paul
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writing the adventure yourself does not make it home-brew, so long as it's placed in a PEG or Licensed setting. All the adventures I have run at Con's for Space 1889: Red Sands of Mars were mine, or major modifications of Space 1889 adventures from the old Challenge magazine.

So I'm not sure why Darwin's World was listed as home-brew. Though, note that home-brew itself counts as a setting. Guess where I have the most credits. Smile

Do contact Steve or Mike. They can explain it best if I'm wrong, and they are also the ones that can correct your credits if need be.
Evil Mike
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I just noticed this! The number of licensees keeps us on our toes, but essentially, a setting has a book with the rules for the setting and may or may not have adventures/plot points. Modules, one sheets, etc aren't typically settings. I'll have Steve look into this specific instance and let you know.

BTW, the fastest way to get these answers is to use the contact us link on the Explorers society. Smile
Chaos Steve
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DevM,

First off, what the Mike's have posted is right on.

You are right that Darwin's World is a setting. I'm thinking you are correct that Olympian Breed s/b a settings as well.

Just send a email using the 'Contact Us' link on the SWES front page. Be sure to tell me your explorer ID. I'm happy to change any of those Darwin's World or Olympian Breed games to their proper setting.

Thanks!

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother.
-- Albert Einstein
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are these just determined on the fly or do you actually have a list somewhere of what counts as what? I think that's what the original poster was asking for.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Chaos Steve
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is actually a list (below). If you have a favorite setting thatís not in the list, itís because we havenít had any SWES GMs run a game in that setting yet. When a GM decides to run a game in a setting not in the list, it gets added.

50 Fathoms
Agents of Oblivion
Dark City Games
Darwin's World
Day after RagnarŲk
Deadlands Reloaded
Dogs of Hades
Evernight
Freeport
Gaslight
Hell on Earth Reloaded
Hellfrost
Homebrew
Interface Zero
Iron Dynasty
Kerberus Club
Legacy of Mana
Low Life
Modern Ops
Necessary Evil
Necropolis
Pirates of the Spanish Main
Realms of Cthulhu
Red Rising
Rippers
Rippers: The Horror Wars
RunePunk
Savage Suzerain
Shaintar
Shanghai Vampocalypse
Sherwood
Slipstream
Solomon Kane
Space 1889
Sticks and Stones
Sundered Skies
Temporal Probability Agency
The Ravaged Earth Society
Thrilling Tales
Totems of the Dead
Tour of Darkness
Weird Wars II
Wonderland No More

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother.
-- Albert Einstein
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Con Suite All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: