Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

large playing cards?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grendal1
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: large playing cards? Reply with quote

I really like the size of the Savage worlds playing cards but I would perfer to have a single "theme" to the cards...does anyone know if something like this exist? I have found "large playing cards" but none that have "themes".
Lord Karick
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do they have to be large? Bicycle have a lot of interesting decks, with a purely fantasy one in the works somewhere.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the players in my Deadlands campaign a while back gave me a set of cards from "Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Wild West."

I tried doing some Google searching, but I'm guessing this is out of print, sadly enough. The art is a bit iffy, with some face cards depicting what I guess are important NPCs in the setting, often with what looks like a Wild West character on one side, and then if you flip it around you get the "were" or "monster" form of that same character. The important thing for me, however, and what makes it one of my preferred decks is that it's extra-large, which improves visibility across the table.

These days, however, I've changed my method of using the Action Deck, so it's not so critically important that I can make out all the cards with my less-than-sharp eyesight.

When handling initiative, I just keep the deck on my side of the table, and deal out cards in a line in front of me, going from left to right based on where the players are seated, and then having one or more cards further to the right for any NPC groups. Any allied NPCs are typically "distributed" among the players, acting on their cards. I then go down the line from Joker, Ace, down to Deuces. When someone acts, I flip his card, and when someone goes on hold, I turn the card 90 degrees as a visual reminder. I call out the cards when I draw them, and make a special point of letting everyone know when a Joker has come up.

The method runs into snags when I've got antsy players who keep walking around the table and don't stick to a single seated position, but that usually only happens at conventions. I can get around it by having a "card lineup" sheet that I write down the character names on, and I just place each card under a name header on my guide sheet, so there's no question who gets what.

I've found that this method is quicker than for me to call out "Ace ... King ... Queen ... Jack..." etc., and expect players to report in, because all too often there'd be some player who wasn't quite playing attention and he'd claim, "You skipped me!" when we're down to, say, 6, and he was up at 10 and didn't bother saying anything.

Anyway, I've been looking for themed large playing cards, too, and haven't yet run across any beyond the Werewolf deck -- certainly not any still in print. I hope someone can fill me in on some alternatives.

I suppose there might be some use in making a custom themed deck as a pdf -- or perhaps labels to be put on a "jumbo" card deck. Since the action deck is for initiative purposes, not poker with high stakes, it's not as critical that everything be perfect and seamless.
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large decks are hard to shuffle, and I have big hands.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Karick wrote:
Why do they have to be large? Bicycle have a lot of interesting decks, with a purely fantasy one in the works somewhere.

Because Judge Harry on Night court made over sized cards cool again
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google in your friend.

Search for Large Print Playing Cards

Not sure where to get them "themed".
grendal1
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I have found "large playing cards" but none that have "themes"."

i used those exact search terms BEFORE posting this question...
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the cards were made from wyvern hide
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: