Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Strength and other attributes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utgardloki
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Super Strength and other attributes Reply with quote

One idea I was considering, was a setting where supers have super-attributes expressed as extra dice which are rolled and added to their attributes when making attribute checks.

For example, a "brick" might have 2d8 super strength, and roll 1d6 + 2d8 when making strength checks.

Arcane effects such as spells and wierd science could enhance or negate these super attributes, so a character who has her super strength negated would only get to roll her normal attribute until she could remove the negating effect.

An argument in favor of this approach is that it seems to match the literature, TV shows, and movies, where you are never really sure exactly whether the hero will be able to achieve some feat of ability. A character with 1d12+9 strength would reliably be able to wrestle dragons, and probably break just about any normal material. A character with 1d6+2d8 strength might be able to break those chains and then throw the dragon across the room, or she might not.

What do you think?
supercOntra
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Perhaps a continuing scale so after d12 you get d12+d4 then d12+d6 etc.
How this affects gameplay and balance needs to be tested.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utgardloki wrote:
For example, a "brick" might have 2d8 super strength, and roll 1d6 + 2d8 when making strength checks.

You mean you'd roll three dice (two Strength and one Wild Die) and take the two highest? Or would it be the highest of Strength and Wild Die, then add the Super Strength die to the final result?

The latter would be more confusing, but the former would significantly change the chance of a critical failure (depending on whether you need two 1s or three).

Utgardloki wrote:
An argument in favor of this approach is that it seems to match the literature, TV shows, and movies, where you are never really sure exactly whether the hero will be able to achieve some feat of ability.

Their ability is usually fairly consistent though, typically more than in most roleplaying games (something which was amusingly covered in The Gamers, starting at 00:35 in the video).

Personally I actually prefer a fixed bonus and/or modifications to the Wild Die (such as the suggestion I made in the Superstrong supernaturals thread, and the Preternatural Strength edge in Supernaturalis). This doesn't remove the uncertainty from challenging situations, it just means the character is far less likely to fail at easy tasks.

A character with Strength d12+9 can lift 200,000 pounds, that's 1667 times as much as a character with Strength d6; he can pick up a VW Golf with the same ease as an average guy can pick up an iPad. I wouldn't make him roll Strength to punch through a brick wall, just as I wouldn't make a normal guy roll Strength to break a window.
Utgardloki
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the easiest way to handle the wild die would be to let it replace one of the strength dice. My idea is that the superstrength dice would be added to the normal strength die.

I don't have a campaign for this yet, though, but I'll keep it in my mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: