Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Wil Wheton Thinks of Savage Worlds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLoremaster wrote:
And if you really want to understand why Wesley Crusher is so popular with gamers, just go watch a couple episodes of TableTop. You'll be glad that you did.

I have. The question stand.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kythkyn wrote:
TheLoremaster wrote:
And if you really want to understand why Wesley Crusher is so popular with gamers, just go watch a couple episodes of TableTop. You'll be glad that you did.

I have. The question stand.

Then the answer is simply. Wesley Crusher isn't revered by gamers; Wil Wheaton is.

Personally, I wonder why there is still anyone who applies their distaste for a character to the actor that portrayed him. That's like blaming a printer because you didn't like a book you read instead of the author. Confused

Wil is an actor, husband, father, geek, and gamer who when he was a kid got a dream job to be on the new Star Trek. Then he got burned for the way his character was written and further burned when Gene Wesley Roddenberry passed away and the folks that took over buried the character and the actor with him.

So he's a gamer like us who gets a job any geek would die for but gets the shaft for how one producer uses the character and the next drops it like a hot potato. Does he take his "Hollywood money" and channel deserved bitterness into drugs, car accidents, hookers, and alcohol abuse? Nope, he grows up, gets married, writes a book about his experiences, and continues to game and promote gaming in a positive way.

Now if anyone wants to ask why Wil Wheaton is revered by gamers, I'd have to ask... why shouldn't he be?

www.peginc.com
greyseerco
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for the complaint about the exploding dice, and I am sure it has been suggested somewhere else before (I am too lazy to search), but why not house-rule any roll of a 6+ as a 6 and as exploding. (A d4 will still explode on the 4).

So if I roll a d8 and get a 7, that's equal to a 6 and I get to re-roll and add. Then roll another 6, well that's a 6 (so my total is a 12) and I get to re-roll and add. Finally get a 4, add that to my 12 for a total of 16.

This way the bigger die-type increases the odds of exploding dice but limits the number on them.

Anyway, I am sure its been suggested before, but it might alleviate the complaint.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyseerco wrote:
So for the complaint about the exploding dice, and I am sure it has been suggested somewhere else before (I am too lazy to search), but why not house-rule any roll of a 6+ as a 6 and as exploding. (A d4 will still explode on the 4).

So if I roll a d8 and get a 7, that's equal to a 6 and I get to re-roll and add. Then roll another 6, well that's a 6 (so my total is a 12) and I get to re-roll and add. Finally get a 4, add that to my 12 for a total of 16.

This way the bigger die-type increases the odds of exploding dice but limits the number on them.

Anyway, I am sure its been suggested before, but it might alleviate the complaint.

Possibly, but it would kind of break the system as a whole to "fix" something that's basically perceptual.

www.peginc.com
JCDenton28
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is also really fun to watch as the bad-guy hacker, Chaos, in the tv show Leverage.

Also does a great job as Sheldon's nemesis on Big Bang Theory where he plays himself.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCDenton28 wrote:
He is also really fun to watch as the bad-guy hacker, Chaos, in the tv show Leverage.

Created by another gamer, player of Savage Worlds, and a really nice guy! Cool

www.peginc.com
JCDenton28
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a cool factoid.

The RPG vibe is strong in Leverage, and would be a really fun adventure setting. My wife and I love the show.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Personally, I wonder why there is still anyone who applies their distaste for a character to the actor that portrayed him.

It's pretty unfair, I agree, but it happens. Check out the "real life" section of Actor/Role Confusion for some amusing examples.
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasons I like Wil Wheaton

a) Big Bang Theory
b) Eureka
c) His "behind the scenes" blogs about working on Star Trek
d) The D&D4e podcasts featuring Penny Arcade
e) I've met him and he's a great guy.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the complaint about exploding dice, I didn't realize it was still such a big misconception. Clint explained it very well once, but my search-fu is failing.

As I recall, his point was that higher dice were still better because you were more likely to succeed with a raise and you were less likely to get a critical failure. And besides that the 2% or so difference was still less than the 8% bias your set of Chessex dice has.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
So he's a gamer like us who gets a job any geek would die for but gets the shaft for how one producer uses the character and the next drops it like a hot potato. Does he take his "Hollywood money" and channel deserved bitterness into drugs, car accidents, hookers, and alcohol abuse? Nope, he grows up, gets married, writes a book about his experiences, and continues to game and promote gaming in a positive way.

Now if anyone wants to ask why Wil Wheaton is revered by gamers, I'd have to ask... why shouldn't he be?

Certainly glad he didn't take the Different Strokes route. BTW what is the title of this book? I'm guessing it isn't I'm Not Wesley Crusher.
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Guild is where Wil Wheaton really, really shines. Cool

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Twitter. He's pretty funny on Twitter.

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
Timon
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:
And besides that the 2% or so difference was still less than the 8% bias your set of Chessex dice has.

Speak for yourself - pure Game Science sharp-edged precision over here. Cool
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timon wrote:
Thunderforge wrote:
And besides that the 2% or so difference was still less than the 8% bias your set of Chessex dice has.

Daaaaaaaamn...

Those are nifty. I want.

DrJones72
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a Geek by Wil Wheaton
scourger
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinzent wrote:
Reasons I like Wil Wheaton...d) The D&D4e podcasts featuring Penny Arcade...

Those are fun videos to watch. Almost made me want to play 4e, but definitely made me want to play something.
Hawker
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's great in 'The Guild', 'Big Bang Theory' and 'A Town Called Eureka' but he was a horrible pain in Star Trek!

Overall I think he's just one of us.
Pfr_Fate
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timon wrote:
Thunderforge wrote:

I think Wil Wheaton should play Lou Zocchi in the biopic "Edge of Probabilities".
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawker wrote:
I think he's great in 'The Guild', 'Big Bang Theory' and 'A Town Called Eureka' but he was a horrible pain in Star Trek!

Overall I think he's just one of us.

Wil wasn't a horrible pain in ST:TNG, Wesley Crusher was.

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: