Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Necessary Evil: 1880 Edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Necessary Evil: 1880 Edition Reply with quote

So, my gaming group is coming up to a switch over point again, and I'm back in the GM's seat. I'd have liked to have run Rippers, but several of my group aren't keen on the horror genre, and have a penchant for super heros.

With that in mind, I thought I'd combine the two, and run the typical Necessary Evil plot point campaign, set to a backdrop of Victorian England.

The premise being that HG Wells was in fact, a super-powered prophet (yes I had to move War of the World's publication up a few years), and aliens really did invade the Earth. Of course, they focused on the strongest government of the era, and set themselves up in jolly old London Town.

Mostly the setting will remain the same, heros have existed for a while, lead by Captain Britania, and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Queen Victoria went missing in the raid, and the popular prime minster Disraeli has been replaced by Gladstone, patsy of the V'sori.

The special anti-super hero task force is heading up by Sherlock Holmes, pressured by threats against Watson, and with his drug habit held against him to keep him under control.

So, with all that in mind, what side-adventures would people recomend that I look into, to both highlight the world, and also keep in mind that this is a city under occupation?
sirdrasco
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Moriarty and his league of extraordinary villains.

Cultist raising old gods, the Horror companion.
"Blast I hate squid for dinner."
"But the cook has a new recipe.."
Utgardloki
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One published adventure that I have that I've long thought could be adapted to the Victorian era. It was published for the Iron Kingdoms setting using Third Edition Dungeons and Dragons, but I can see it converted to a Savage Worlds Victorian setting easily enough. If you have the book, some of the events could easily be moved to exotic locations in Africa and Central America.

The basic idea is a young girl developing supernatural power and seeking to possess an ancient artifact of great power. This could work well as what initially seems like just random strange occurances turn out to be something that could have an impact on the entire world.
Jux
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.getfrank.co.nz/uploads/lifestyle/fashion022210_-_Copy.jpg
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this idea I had in 1997

In my world setting the queen has had teams of secret agent chicks since the time William Of Stratford recruited Violet, Juliet, Ophelia and Lady Joan Falstaff to fight gal Fawkes and her plain to blow up parliament for executing her brother for trying to blow up parliament.

They always meet in a secret room under the black tower and in the 1800's a tunnel was made from tower hill under the river to southwark. (I have found out some one stole my idea for the tunnel and sent it back in time and made a real tunnel in the mid 1800's)

So in the late 1800's the team is

Another Lady Joan Falstaff; Near do well and con artist with her ear to the street
Allison Quartermain; Sharp Shooter and outdoor guide
Shecroft Holmes, Investigator with some contacts in the government
Sheba Kane; Occult hunter
Phyllis Fogg; Inventor (She created the steam powered exo frame for kids with polio that the military stole and made Steam Powered Iron Beef eaters)

Yes there are 4 Iron Beef eaters, Veteran sergeant missing two or more limbs encased in iron bodies with one Gatling fist and a giant punching first loyal to the Queen and would be very great full to Miss Fogg if they Knew

Oh and the Evil Professor Brutus and his shoe shine boy Benito in there hidden lair under the Roman Colosseum are kid napping the first daughters of the crown heads of Europe. They are being kept a live in giant bell jars in his secret lair

Last edited by VonDan on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 am; edited 3 times in total
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jux wrote:
http://www.getfrank.co.nz/uploads/lifestyle/fashion022210_-_Copy.jpg

I see your swim trunks and raise you this steam powered confabulation that should be in the chaise scene

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/FardierdeCugnot20050111.jpg/800px-FardierdeCugnot20050111.jpg
xiawarr
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always track down the Savage Worlds version of the Kerberos Club: superheroes in the Victorian Era. I believe you can find the PDF on both the Pinnacle Website and RPGNOW.com.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will they still be playing villians?

SteveN
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NM
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely still playing villains for this, much more enjoyable to have to fight down the might of the joint Empires (both Vsor'i and British)

Kerberos Club looks very interesting, though I shall see how the first few adventures go, as this group tends to be a bit flighty
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun! I once ran a one-shot convention scenario loosely inspired by the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen ... that is, just with the cool "Victorian characters as superheroes" factor, MINUS the "Mr. Hyde doing very nasty and most ungentlemanly things to the Invisible Man" factor. I called the scenario "HMS Thunder Child."

As I'm very miniatures-focused, I confess that the line-up was strongly influenced by what minis I had to hand. I made a paper model of a Martian tri-pod, based on a "classic" version of the design, and at the time I was on a "Pirates RPG" kick, so I used a later Pirates of the Spanish Main CCG steamboat design (one of those "pseudo-rare" mega-card models with the paddle-wheel design) to represent the HMS Thunder Child, a Pirates CCG Nautilus as (of course) the Nautilus, and some odd models for an airship and a few other things.

Pre-gen PCs included Adam (Frankenstein's Monster), Lota (a nearly-human Moreau hybrid -- admittedly inspired by "Island of Lost Souls" rather than any actual character from "The Island of Dr. Moreau"), Robur (inventor and pilot of an airship -- though not as grand as in Jules Vernes's "Robur the Conqueror"), Prince Dakkar (son of Captain Nemo of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "The Mysterious Island"), Dr. Jekyll (here a master chemist with a variety of useful concoctions), and a few others.

There wasn't much of a "plot" to the scenario at all -- just one large battle largely held at "naval" miniatures scale, with the occasional mini-map blow-out when the action took place atop a Martian tri-pod. It was basically a case of alien tripods entering a harbor, the heroes trying to cover the escape of some ships ferrying refugees, and all sorts of mayhem, a large part of it ending up in using poor Adam as a projectile to LAUNCH at one tripod or another to start tearing it apart with his super-strength, Dakkar tripping up tri-pods by attacking their legs from under water, Robur getting shot out of the sky pretty early on (and yet still managing to hitch a ride to cause further mayhem), and so on.

It was horribly balanced, and relied a great deal on GM hand-waving and spot-rulings, but still a bit of over-the-top crazy fun. Very Happy (Probably too over-the-top to go from there into a proper campaign, though.)
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i invented the concept of Victorian super hero team in 1997 other characters in the world are

Commander Nema, Captain Nemo's daughter and her rebuilt sub the Naughty Lass

Hydee, dr jekyll's daughter with one of the ladies in the brothel and raised by Mary Riley.

RevTurkey
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden Heroes (Games Workshop)

Queen Victoria & The Holy Grail (1985)

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: