Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage World of Warcraft - The Draenei

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merlin273
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Savage World of Warcraft - The Draenei Reply with quote

I've been fascinated by WoW and thought the world of Azeroth would make a fantastic Savage setting. I read (downloaded & printed) the old "Savaged Warcraft" book by Mike McCall, but I thought to update it and give it more of an MMO feel. My first What do you think?

Draenei: The draenei are followers of the Naaru and worshipers of the Holy Light. They originally hail from the distant world of Argus, fleeing after Sargeras tried to corrupt them. They then settled on the Orcish homeworld of Draenor, where after a period of peace, they were brutally murdered during Guldan's corruption of the Orcs. Finally they settled in Azeroth, to seek aid in their battle against the Burning Legion. Draenei were introduced in the Burning Crusade expansion.
Erudite: Known for their intelligence, all Draenei start with a d6 in Smarts. Darkvision is black and white, but it is otherwise like normal sight.
Gemcutting: Because Draenei technology is crystalline-based, they begin with a d4 Craft (Jewelcrafting)
Gift of the Naaru: All draenei have the Healing Power and can use it with a successful Spirit roll.
Heroic Presence: Draenei start with the Inspire Courage Edge as they can draw upon the gifts of the Naaru to bolster their allies.
Low-Light Vision: Draenei can normally see two times farther than a human can in starlight, moonlight, torchlight and similar conditions of poor illumination. Draenei retain the ability to distinguish color under these conditions.
Shadow Resistance: The draenei's steadfast resilience against the Legion is the definition of perseverance granting them the Arcane Resistance Edge against Shadow Magic/Fel Magic.
The Faith of the Naaru: Draenei begin with a Spirit of d6 instead of d4, to reflect their connection to and faith in the Holy Light.
Zadmar
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's strong. I'd rate it as a 13 point race.

+2: Smarts d6
+2: Darkvision (B&W in dark, double distance in illumination)
+: Craft (Jewelcrafting) d4
+2: Innate Power (Healing)
+3: Heroic Presence (Inspire)
+2: Arcane Resistance
+2: Spirit d6

I wouldn't assign any value to Low-Light Vision, instead I'd make it a trapping of Darkvision - the Draenei have the advantage of being able to see twice as far in illumination, but the disadvantage of only being able to see in black and white without illumination. Neither has any direct modifier or impact on combat.
Wirelizard
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No racial Hinderances/Flaws at all to go along with that huge parcel of racial Edges?

I've never played WoW, but even something like "Enemies: All Orcs (Major)" would at least begin to counteract all those Edges and would fit with the bit of background you gave, as far as I can see.
peregry
Seasoned

Location: Manassas, VA, USA, North America, Terra, Inner Sphere, Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given they're a hooved race and can't be Rogues, you might also want to throw a penalty on Stealth as a negative too, something in the -2 to -4 range methinks.

Also, while its a bonus, they should probably get a +1 to Size, they are significantly bigger than many of the other races.
Maine
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it lightweight. Just because something is thematically applicable to a race doesn't mean all members should directly benefit or start with it. The same applies to higher starting stats - this should only be the case if the majority of that race is truly exceptional at that stat relative to the other average races (in this case, Human, Night Elf, Gnome, Dwarf, Orc, Tauren, Troll, Undead, Blood Elf, Goblin, and maybe Worgen, Pandaren, and Murloc).

Consider using Racial Edges for abilities that may be symbolic of a race but not necessarily present or well utilized by most members of that race.

My suggestions:

Drop the d6 Smarts of "Erudite". Draenei are not inherently more intelligent than the average race currently present on Azeroth.

Drop Gemcutting; this should be represented thematically, not an automatic bonus. Perhaps a more minor ability simply allows them to increase this skill as if it is always less than Smarts.

Gift of the Naaru - this feels like a suitable racial ability.

Heroic Presence - better as a Racial edge, and limit it to applying to other Draenei.

Shadow Resistance - the Draenei are a splinter faction of the Eredar, who were the first sentient race to join the Legion. This ability does not really make sense - their perseverance is ideological and religious, not an innate ability or resilience.

Faith of the Naaru - Perhaps a suitable ability, but again this seems simply a forced compliance to a vision; though their society as a whole is more enlightened, they do not inherently have a much higher level of wisdom or inner strength than the average race on Azeroth.
Merlin273
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I should keep it more 'core' abilities? I'm new to race creation for SW, and I was going by the game stats as reference. How about...

Racial Enemy (Orcs)
Spirit @ d6 (Free racial trait)
Gift of the Naaru (Unique Power)
Extra Step for Agility
Bonus to Craft (Gems)

I don't have the Fantasy Companion right this second, but I should be close to +0 balance.

I'm using this as a start to to the other races, so feedback is important to me. Does anyone else play the game and would like to expand their fondness for the world of Azeroth to a campaign world? RPing allows me to do things I can't do in game.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racial Enemy (-1)
Spirit d6 (+2)
Agility d6 (+2)
Gems (+0.5)
No PP Healing (+2 or +3)
Total = 5.5 or 6.5 race.
That's about triple the power of the other races (Core Rules races all work out to a +2).

Generally, you should convert flavor, not game mechanics. Example: Gift of the Naaru? A game mechanic to give them a useful racial power, just like all the other races have (even humans can automatically escape all entangling effects).

I'd focus on the magical affiliation (+5 PP for AB Magic or AB Miracles, whichever one the player chooses) and skip the rest of the minutia. This encourages them to play Mages, Priests, Shamans, and Paladins without requiring it.
The important thing is to be a 7' tall, blue, alien, tentacled, goat-person (hey, they look like goats to me; always have).

Best of luck!
Maine
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merlin273 wrote:
So I should keep it more 'core' abilities? I'm new to race creation for SW, and I was going by the game stats as reference. How about...

Specifically you should keep it as few as possible - 1 free thing (this replaces the bonus starting edge), and offset every additional item by a penalty:

Racial Enemy (Orcs)
Spirit @ d6 (Free racial trait)
Gift of the Naaru (Unique Power @ 5 PP)

Do not try to go game mechanic heavy - that is antithetical to Savage Worlds design and it interferes with play. You do not need to represent every feature or trait of the race with a rule or ability.

If you REALLY want to have more rules/abilities, don't make them part of the core race, instead create them as Racial Edges to 'unlock' those racial abilities at the player's discretion as they advance. This represents that not all of that race benefit or utilize that ability, only those who chose to do so.

E.g:

Racial Edge: Draenei Gemsmith [Draenei only, Craft (Jewelcrafting) d4] - +2 to Craft (Jewelcrafting) rolls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: