Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Wil Wheton Thinks of Savage Worlds
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: What Wil Wheton Thinks of Savage Worlds Reply with quote

So I was browsing some blogs and low and behold, Wine and Savages writes in this blog post that he got Wil Wheton to sign his copy of Savage Worlds Deluxe. He also talked about what the man thought about Savage Worlds:
Wine and Savages wrote:
Wheaton took a few moments to talk to us about the system: he loves how a night with friends can go from “Have you ever heard of Savage Worlds” to fighting Nazi zombies in half an hour, mentioned how some of his game designer friends get irritated with the way your chances of Acing a roll go down as your attribute dice go up (but he doesn’t mind because it’s just so much fun when you get to roll the dice again), and mentioned really enjoying a setting that I utterly failed to recognize at the time but eight hours later realized was probably Agents of Oblivion (or maybe API). He laughed when I showed him the popular posts list on this blog (and at the name of the blog itself), and expressed his surprise that Texas made wine. It was cool.

So there we have it. This is what Wil Wheton thinks of Savage Worlds.

I'm kind of surprised he borught up that chances of acing going down as your dice increase (and the misconception that it leads to lower totals). Perhaps a Designer's Notes sidebar should be added addressing that in a future Savage Worlds release.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still yet to understand why Wesley Crusher is so revered by gamers.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a difference between the actor, and the character
Lysander
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wesley Crusher can die a horrible death in a supernova, and Wil Wheaton with be the 1st one to agree with you I'll bet...

Wil Wheaton is living the dream gamer life. Popular, gets to play all kinds of games, lives off royalty checks, meet like minded gamers on a semi consistent basis, guest stars on the occasional TV show... What's not to like!

Have never met, mosty likely won't, but would look forward to the opportunity presented itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSReSGe200A
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kythkyn wrote:

I have to admit that I do not understand it, either. My guess is that many gameers are fans of Star Trek. It looks like the blogger went to some sort of sci-fi convention. I do not follow any people, famous or not, so I do not undertstand it at all. People will tell me "so and so did this" or "so and so said that". I tend to shrug, even if I liked the actor in a given movie.

That aside, Thunderforge did bring up an interesting thought. The math of the dice. While it is less likely to roll an ace on a higher die, the higher die overall is more likely to give higher results more often. I would like to see a big chart with all of the math on it.

To be evil is to live backwards
Xavier Onassiss
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kythkyn wrote:

Wil Wheaton survived the "Wesley Crusher experience" and then did something nobody expected; he didn't disappear into former-child-star-oblivion, didn't let himself be defined forever by one really lousy role, didn't let comments like the above get him down.

And I submit to you, that's why he's awesome.
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kythkyn wrote:

Simply put: He is one of us.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! GOOBLE GABBLE GOOBLE GABLE ONE OF US! ONE OF US! Mr. Green
The Dead Ranger
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kythkyn wrote:

I was sort of the same way until I heard him speak at Gen Con. Weaton is a fantastic ambassador for gamers and gamer culture. Much of his writing and speaking is about the commonalities formed by gaming, how one can take a buch of disperate people from around the world who happen to be gamers, put them in a room and they can find common ground via their shared hobby.

Wil Weaton is NOT Wesley Crusher. He is a gamer, just like the rest of us, who happens to work in the entertainment industry.

"If everyone's having fun, then you're doing it right."
GruffaloCrumble
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xavier Onassiss wrote:
Kythkyn wrote:

Wil Wheaton survived the "Wesley Crusher experience" and then did something nobody expected; he didn't disappear into former-child-star-oblivion, didn't let himself be defined forever by one really lousy role, didn't let comments like the above get him down.

I suspect that you are actually Will Wheaton, incognito!
GlassJaw
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamers like any celebrity that bring mainstream attention to gaming - Wil Wheaton, Vin Diesel, the punter for the Vikings, etc. Can't really say I blame them/us.
TheLoremaster
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SavageGamerGirl wrote:
Kythkyn wrote:

Simply put: He is one of us.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! GOOBLE GABBLE GOOBLE GABLE ONE OF US! ONE OF US! Mr. Green

I want to "Like" this so hard ... Smile

And if you really want to understand why Wil Wheaton is so popular with gamers, just go watch a couple episodes of TableTop. You'll be glad that you did.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah all that but still in my Fan fiction universe Dr Crusher had a Daughter Leslie like was the plain until 2 weeks before ST TNG started filming and they changed the nerdy girl to a nerdy boy
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He used to write for Dungeon magazine. And he's done far more than just Wesley Crusher. I knew of him from Stand By Me before TNG and while Wesley was a bit of a nuisance, that was an issue of the character and not the actor.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000696/

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
Xavier Onassiss
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GruffaloCrumble wrote:
Xavier Onassiss wrote:
Kythkyn wrote:

I suspect that you are actually Will Wheaton, incognito!

Don't I wish! If being mistaken for Wil Wheaton is the coolest thing that happens to me this week, I'll take it.

Actually, I'm just another part-time RPG designer with delusions of adequacy.
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xavier Onassiss wrote:
Actually, I'm just another part-time RPG designer with delusions of adequacy.

Awesome! Me too!!!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
Ogma
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wil's a really nice guy who genuinely loves gaming (whether it be RPGs or boardgames). He's not a superstar and never will be, but he's definitely "one of us".
Jonah Hex
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeeleyOne wrote:
Kythkyn wrote:

I have to admit that I do not understand it, either. My guess is that many gameers are fans of Star Trek. It looks like the blogger went to some sort of sci-fi convention. I do not follow any people, famous or not, so I do not undertstand it at all. People will tell me "so and so did this" or "so and so said that". I tend to shrug, even if I liked the actor in a given movie.

That aside, Thunderforge did bring up an interesting thought. The math of the dice. While it is less likely to roll an ace on a higher die, the higher die overall is more likely to give higher results more often. I would like to see a big chart with all of the math on it.

Die 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
d4 100.00% 95.83% 83.33% 62.50% 50.00% 32.29% 27.08% 19.27% 16.67% 12.63% 8.51% 4.30% 4.30% 3.46% 2.62%
d6 100.00% 97.22% 88.89% 75.00% 55.56% 30.56% 30.56% 25.85% 20.99% 15.97% 10.80% 5.48% 5.48% 4.58% 3.67%
d8 100.00% 97.92% 91.67% 81.25% 66.67% 47.92% 37.50% 24.65% 22.22% 18.36% 14.41% 10.37% 8.85% 6.89% 4.92%
d10 100.00% 98.33% 93.33% 85.00% 73.33% 58.33% 50.00% 39.72% 28.89% 17.50% 15.00% 11.53% 10.56% 9.15% 7.74%
d12 100.00% 98.61% 94.44% 87.50% 77.78% 65.28% 58.33% 49.77% 40.74% 31.25% 21.30% 10.88% 10.88% 9.78% 8.67%

I apologize for the formatting but the gist of it is that if your target number is equal to the die type you are using, then you are marginally better off (2% at best) with one lower die type though you're still more likely to get a raise with your superior die. I've highlighted the percentages for
TN 6 and 8. This assumes a d6 wild die but the results are similar for extras.

I don't have the actual math anymore; you'll just have to take my word for it. Smile
Jonah Hex
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeeleyOne wrote:
Kythkyn wrote:

I have to admit that I do not understand it, either. My guess is that many gameers are fans of Star Trek.

I happen to be a fan of star trek, though not what would be considered obsessed, and of Wheaton, though I cannot stand Wesley. One big reason I'm a fan is that it took him about 30 less years than Shatner (who I am a big fan of NOW and THEN but not of the two decades in between) not to take himself so seriously as is evident by his Big Bang appearances.
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonah Hex wrote:

Die 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
d4 100.00% 95.83% 83.33% 62.50% 50.00% 32.29% 27.08% 19.27% 16.67% 12.63% 8.51% 4.30% 4.30% 3.46% 2.62%
d6 100.00% 97.22% 88.89% 75.00% 55.56% 30.56% 30.56% 25.85% 20.99% 15.97% 10.80% 5.48% 5.48% 4.58% 3.67%
d8 100.00% 97.92% 91.67% 81.25% 66.67% 47.92% 37.50% 24.65% 22.22% 18.36% 14.41% 10.37% 8.85% 6.89% 4.92%
d10 100.00% 98.33% 93.33% 85.00% 73.33% 58.33% 50.00% 39.72% 28.89% 17.50% 15.00% 11.53% 10.56% 9.15% 7.74%
d12 100.00% 98.61% 94.44% 87.50% 77.78% 65.28% 58.33% 49.77% 40.74% 31.25% 21.30% 10.88% 10.88% 9.78% 8.67%

I apologize for the formatting but the gist of it is that if your target number is equal to the die type you are using, then you are marginally better off (2% at best) with one lower die type though you're still more likely to get a raise with your superior die. I've highlighted the percentages for
TN 6 and 8. This assumes a d6 wild die but the results are similar for extras.

I don't have the actual math anymore; you'll just have to take my word for it. Smile

Here's a better table of the probabilities

http://www.daemonstorm.com/role-playing/savage-worlds/Savage-Worlds-Dice-Probabilities

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
Jux
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I hated Wesly Crusher, but Will Wheaton is cool. I like the "don't be a dick" rule and how chilled out, yet sharp he is. But SW or other games really don't need an acceptance from Wheaton to be cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: