Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So Your Players Like Fighting Horror, eh?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: So Your Players Like Fighting Horror, eh? Reply with quote

I was able to snag quite a lot of THESE. I got them because at the time I was running a Post Apocalyptic miniatures game and these were all part of a mutant horde to combat (200+ miniatures strong mutant horde).

Now that Savage Worlds has dragged me back into RPGing I plan on using them.

I like being able to put a miniature on the table and have the player NOT go, "Oh. Another zombie/vampire/werewolf/whatever." It adds a slight mystery and apprehension to the game. The great unknown.

They cost a lot less than metal minis (for the most part), but are a b!t#h to debase sometimes.
DHRDawg
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna try to pick some of those up they looks really cheap.
Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bear in mind that removing the bases from Dreamblade miniatures is a nightmare. The scale is all over the place too, but there's a lot of useful stuff in the line. Good link!
DHRDawg
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count Zero wrote:
Just bear in mind that removing the bases from Dreamblade miniatures is a nightmare. The scale is all over the place too, but there's a lot of useful stuff in the line. Good link!

I've only removed the bases from Heroclix and Horrorclix, what makes these so bad? Do they use a lot of glue or something?

I'm not too worried about scale because I would use some of these as ghosts or demons in a Ghostbusters game some of them look like they would be good for that, some just look really weird.
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the bases and figures are one part. They are not always a miniature glued on to a base. This is okay if the miniature is standing up right on two "feet", but if it's a broad-based bottom... you're going to have a hard time with it.

As far as the scale issue... I've always reasoned since they were mutants/monsters the were sometimes larger, or maybe even smaller, than their opponents. The only time I nit-pick about scale is when it's two creatures that are alike... i.e. two humans, two zombies, etc... but even then, not always an issue.

I have a miniature from that line, the Nevret Warmaster, that I painted up to look like Micheal Moorcock's Elric of Melniboné. Hes a little bit tall... looking to be about 7 foot tall next to a "normal" sized mini (and he has a pistol). But hey! He's Melnibonéan!

I do draw the line at unexplainable size differences. 15mm mini man next to a 25/28mm figure.

I'm sorry, Count Zero. Don't mean to sound like I'm busting your chops. That's NOT my intention. I guess what I'm trying to say is it's never been a biggie with me (sorry, pun...) if the miniature is of an odd/unusual creature... nightmarish and/or dinosaurs creatures, etc... is not quite to scale.

@ DHRDawg - I want to hear all about these Ghostbuster adventures!!! I've committed to running a 50F game. But I came super close to doing a Ghostbuster's game (with a touch of Hellboy and Cthulhu). Jordan made up a GREAT conversion there.

Last edited by warrenss2 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A razor saw might come in handy on these. I used my metal snips to cut most of the base away, then the saw to get it close, and finally a sanding block to get it ready for a new base. I've not done this with many of them, because of the time an effort.

Scale CAN indeed be an issue with some of these, but many are fine.
DHRDawg
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warrenss2 wrote:

@ DHRDawg - I want to hear all about these Ghostbuster adventures!!! I've committed to running a 50F game. But I came super close to doing a Ghostbuster's game (with a touch of Hellboy and Cthulhu). Jordan made up a GREAT conversion there.

I will post pictures when we start playing Ghostbusters, using Jordan's pdf's as rules of course. Some awesome stuff there! Just gotta finish up our Savage Star Wars game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: