Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[DLR] Fear levels and monsters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaspar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: [DLR] Fear levels and monsters Reply with quote

I you guys help on something Smile

I was looking through my Deadlands Reloaded book trying to find out whether you add both the penalty from the location (Fear level) and the monsters Fear to Guts roles?

If the posse encounter a Fear (-2) monster in a location with Fear level 3, is the modifier to the Guts role -5?

Thanks for the help
McCurmudgeon
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds about right assuming fear levels are treated the same as in deadlands classic
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: [DLR] Fear levels and monsters Reply with quote

Kaspar wrote:
If the posse encounter a Fear (-2) monster in a location with Fear level 3, is the modifier to the Guts role -5?

That's correct.

Keep in mind, though, that for d20 rolls on the Fear Effects Table, you add only the Monster's Fear penalty as a bonus, not the local Fear Level. (So, using your example, if the Guts roll is failed add +2 to the d20 roll.)

I did that wrong for a few years and caused a lot of heart attacks. Very Happy
SteelDraco
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, they also add their current Grit to that Guts check, so they'll always get at least a +1. It's usually not quite the same as the local fear level but it helps.
PlatinumWarlock
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, keep in mind that a player only needs a single success (not a raise or such) to stave off being Shaken.

Between that and the Grit modifier, the posse is usually only at a slight disadvantage when in really terrifying areas.

Even facing a really nasty creature (Fear -2) creature in an outright Deadland (-6), it's still entirely possible for a moderately experienced party to avoid being Shaken. True Grit and Agent/Texas Ranger help this, as does a solid Spirit die.
Kaspar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlatinumWarlock wrote:
Also, keep in mind that a player only needs a single success (not a raise or such) to stave off being Shaken.

Between that and the Grit modifier, the posse is usually only at a slight disadvantage when in really terrifying areas.

Even facing a really nasty creature (Fear -2) creature in an outright Deadland (-6), it's still entirely possible for a moderately experienced party to avoid being Shaken. True Grit and Agent/Texas Ranger help this, as does a solid Spirit die.

My party are all seasoned, one of them also being a Texas Ranger, giving them a Grit of +2 and +3. I plan to have them run into a creature with a -2 Fear modifier in a Fear level -3 location, and I think the -5 is a bit high, but if that is the rule I will follow it.
GranFalloon
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear checks are pretty rough, to be sure. They're also well worth spending bennies on, so as long as your group has a reasonable chance of making the roll, a single benny should do the trick for most of them.
PlatinumWarlock
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaspar wrote:

My party are all seasoned, one of them also being a Texas Ranger, giving them a Grit of +2 and +3. I plan to have them run into a creature with a -2 Fear modifier in a Fear level -3 location, and I think the -5 is a bit high, but if that is the rule I will follow it.

Well, lets do some math to put things in perspective.

Let's assume that your average posse member has a d6 Spririt (considered average in SW) and has a Grit modifier of +2. The Grit modifier negates the creature's fear rating, so we're left only with the -3 from the location.

Essentially, a PC in this position only has to roll a 6 in order to succeed on the fear check, even though they technically need to roll a 7. 7, in essence, becomes our target number, as 7-3=TN 4.

Because a 6 on the d6 will always explode, the 7 is gained automatically. The odds of rolling a 6 on a single d6 are just a hair under 17%, though we get to roll 2d6 independently, raising our odds to 1/3, without spending any Bennies.

Should we spend a white fate chip, our odds increase to 2/3, as we get a second set of independent 2d6. A red or blue chip, used to add a d6 value almost guarantees certainty, provided that snake-eyes isn't rolled (1/36 odds of that).

Mind you, this is all assuming an average PC in your game who hasn't buffed Spirit beyond the normal human average and has no Edges that contribute to avoiding fear or the like. Any shaman, blessed, or martial artist in your posse likely has a higher Spirit die, and Agents/Rangers get that flat +1 modifier to Grit.

I agree that the Fear effects can be brutal, but you're not really sticking it to the PCs by including the rules as written. If its something that's really worrisome, push them towards taking edges like True Grit or Élan (from SWD). Just remember, it is a horror game, after all. You're not doing it right if there's not a posse member with hot yellow fear running down their leg!
Kaspar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlatinumWarlock wrote:
Kaspar wrote:

Let's assume that your average posse member has a d6 Spririt (considered average in SW) and has a Grit modifier of +2. The Grit modifier negates the creature's fear rating, so we're left only with the -3 from the location.

Essentially, a PC in this position only has to roll a 6 in order to succeed on the fear check, even though they technically need to roll a 7. 7, in essence, becomes our target number, as 7-3=TN 4.

Because a 6 on the d6 will always explode, the 7 is gained automatically. The odds of rolling a 6 on a single d6 are just a hair under 17%, though we get to roll 2d6 independently, raising our odds to 1/3, without spending any Bennies.

Should we spend a white fate chip, our odds increase to 2/3, as we get a second set of independent 2d6. A red or blue chip, used to add a d6 value almost guarantees certainty, provided that snake-eyes isn't rolled (1/36 odds of that).

Mind you, this is all assuming an average PC in your game who hasn't buffed Spirit beyond the normal human average and has no Edges that contribute to avoiding fear or the like. Any shaman, blessed, or martial artist in your posse likely has a higher Spirit die, and Agents/Rangers get that flat +1 modifier to Grit.

I agree that the Fear effects can be brutal, but you're not really sticking it to the PCs by including the rules as written. If its something that's really worrisome, push them towards taking edges like True Grit or Élan (from SWD). Just remember, it is a horror game, after all. You're not doing it right if there's not a posse member with hot yellow fear running down their leg!

It sounds brutal, but I really want to incorporate the horror feeling more than I have done so far in our game.
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlatinumWarlock wrote:

<snip>

Not quite 1/3. The actual odds are 11/36 chance of success ~= 30.5% rather than 33%.

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaspar wrote:
It sounds brutal, but I really want to incorporate the horror feeling more than I have done so far in our game.

Well, the creature with the -2 modifier is really going to do that. That's really the key here, that -2 means the creature is really darn scary. In a world full of scary things.

Just remember...

It's a world of slaughter
A world of fears
It's got jackalopes
In a world of tears

There's so much that can scare,
That it's time we're aware
It's a Shane world after all!

There is a new moon
And I just saw Stone
And his smile means
We will soon be prone
Though we might try to hide
That dead dude doth abide
It's a Shane world after all

It's a Shane's pain world!

www.peginc.com
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I count that song as one of those scary things please?
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol i love it.
GeorgeTDS
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if my posse meets the same fear causing creatures in different scenes? Do they still have to make a fear roll every time the turn the corner, or should I assume that they more or less are acclimatized to the creature in question?

In my particular case, I am running the adventure "For Whom the Whistle Blows" and my posse is about to enter Pickman.
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As is pointed out below, look at Becoming Jaded in Savage Worlds for guidance.

Last edited by Cutter XXIII on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth re-reading the Core Rules Fear rules, especially the "Becoming Jaded" section. By those guidelines, you might require a Guts check for the first couple of monsters, but no more checks until something extra freaky happens.

Have fun!

Aside: Cutter's answer is very revealing about how he runs Deadlands, and why his play stories always seem to involve a large number of heart attacks and character deaths. Wink
GeorgeTDS
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on, thank-you guys. I am having a hard time deciding if I want to cackle with maniacal glee or feel sorry for my table when I feed them to their first real monsters!
GranFalloon
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
It's a world of slaughter
A world of fears
It's got jackalopes
In a world of tears

There's so much that can scare,
That it's time we're aware
It's a Shane world after all!

Just how long have you been waiting to bring that one out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: