Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I catch the train from tombstone to dead end?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenderstat
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Can I catch the train from tombstone to dead end? Reply with quote

and walk to lost angels. And live?

Posse is starting in New Orleans and is looking to get to their mining claim in Quarry Town. What do you guys think would be the best way to get there, would you even go by lost angels?
PlatinumWarlock
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're talking about walking through the hottest part of the Mojave, through the midst of Death Valley, and then into Lost Angels?

Yeah, no....they're dead. If the heat doesn't get them, the hunger will. Plus, that's rattler territory.

A slightly better route might be to take the Bayou Vermillion line to their Railhead, then skip up to LA. Much less walking in 120+ degree temperatures.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Can I catch the train from tombstone to dead end? Reply with quote

Fenderstat wrote:
and walk to lost angels. And live?

It's theoretically possible.
Much like swimming across the Atlantic Ocean.
It could happen but the endurance, or good fortune, it requires is beyond human. Mr. Green

Fenderstat wrote:
Posse is starting in New Orleans and is looking to get to their mining claim in Quarry Town. What do you guys think would be the best way to get there, would you even go by lost angels?

Take Bayou Vermillion to Tombstone, then ride the Ghost Trail to L.A. Then take a boat north to Quarry Town - probably "in trade" as trouble shooters (of a very literal kind). Boat rides in the Maze are very expensive. Sad
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1879, the Bayou Vermilion line goes to Railhead, almost all the way to L.A. But going through that area's sure to bring its own problems. Wink

If my character were making the trip, I'd take Black River RR to Denver, and transfer to the Denver-Pacific via City o' Gloom to Shan Fan.

It's a bit longer train ride, but the destination is much closer to Quarrytown.
operations
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume Dead End got it's name because the rail line got to the edge of rattler territory, and the workers can't really take the line any further safely.
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

operations wrote:
I assume Dead End got it's name because the rail line got to the edge of rattler territory, and the workers can't really take the line any further safely.

You'll see... in Stone and a Hard Place. Smile
operations
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stand alone adventure or next in the Servitor's line of campaign guides?

I am currently running my game there, and kind of just figured out the problems based on the location, Rattler's to the West, Walking Dead and Vermillion Rail Warriors to the South, and Apache to the North. East is the only 'safe' way to go, and that itself is also a very relative measurement.
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

operations wrote:
Stand alone adventure or next in the Servitor's line of campaign guides?

I am currently running my game there, and kind of just figured out the problems based on the location, Rattler's to the West, Walking Dead and Vermillion Rail Warriors to the South, and Apache to the North. East is the only 'safe' way to go, and that itself is also a very relative measurement.

Stone and a Hard Place is the next Plot Point book. Some minor spoilers ahead:

Quote:
Yep, those assumptions are pretty much dead-on. John Goff's Deluge talks briefly about how Dixie Rails was stalled near the Superstition Mountains east of Phoenix (in late 1879). That's why DR was fighting alongside Bayou Vermilion at the Battle of Lost Angels: they'd thrown their lot in with LaCroix because he was closer to the goal.

Since then, Dixie Rails continued on, slogging through Apache attacks and rattler encounters, through Despair and Phoenix and finally to Rails End. But when Dixie Rails collapsed after the Battle of Peacetown (1881, see The Last Sons) Lone Star bought up their rolling stock and changed the town's name to Dead End -- they had no intention of going any farther, not yet at least.

And to give a bit of a preview... officially, the biggest "attraction" in Dead End is the Southwestern Ghost Rock (SGR) dynamite factory, in a large, walled compound. Because the area used to be a vast inland sea millions of years ago, diatomaceous earth (used to stabilize TNT) is found here in great quantities.

"Dead End" also has another connotation: The factory workers are extremely poor, kept that way by the company, and have no hope of getting out or improving their station. In fact, due to the Reckoning's dark magic, everybody who shows up in Dead End is saddled with the Poverty Hindrance.
Twisted Evil

Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just occurred to me we never answered Fenderstat's original question. Smile

There's no direct rail line from Tombstone to Dead End, but one could take Bayou Vermilion almost the entire distance to Potential, Ariz., do a short hop by stagecoach, and then catch the Dixie Rails (Lone Star) train from Potential to Dead End.
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I find that the trip always goes the opposite direction for me.

My character finds himself in a dead end, followed quickly by being underneath a tombstone Very Happy
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about how it happened for my group. On the way to Dead End they narrowly avoided being eaten by a rattler. Smile

And on the way out, well, there's a whole Savage Tale about that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: