Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Street Rat" Urban Professional/Background Edge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wirelizard
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: "Street Rat" Urban Professional/Background Edge Reply with quote

I'm slowly putting together a SW Fantasy campaign intended to be mainly urban-based, so I've been brainstorming setting ideas, doing up some sample characters, and generally trying to get comfortable with SW before trying to scare up enough players to make the campaign a reality.

While creating a ranger-style character last night, for practice and as a possible pregen, I started wondering about an urban counterpart to Woodsman, and what that might look like as an Edge.

Here's my draft thoughts on Street Rat. Notes and comments are in italics.

===
Street Rat
Professional or Background Edge (not sure which it should be)
Req: Novice, Spirit d6+, Streetwise d8+ (Smarts d6+ as well?)
When a character with this Edge is in an urban environment, they get +2 to Notice, +2 to Tracking, and +2 to one of (choose when you take this Edge) Stealth or Streetwise.

Use for characters with a street gang background, or police/City Watch backgrounds. This Edge represents being able to operate well in an urban environment, having contacts, knowing how to hide or blend in with the crowd, and similar.
===

I'm not quite sure about Tracking; that's more a holdover from Woodsman that something I'm convinced is a core part of the Edge and necessary in an urban environment. +2 to Notice, Stealth & Streetwise would work too.

Thoughts and feedback?

(Also my first post here, I've been lurking off and on for months now and finally had something I thought was worth sharing.)
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'd drop the Tracking bonus. You use Streetwise to 'track' people in an urban setting.

Maybe the selected bonus could be a choice between +2 to Stealth or +2 to Common Knowledge checks regarding the city of your upbringing?
Wirelizard
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SavageGamerGirl wrote:
Yeah I'd drop the Tracking bonus. You use Streetwise to 'track' people in an urban setting.

Pretty much what I was thinking and why I had doubts about Tracking.

Quote:

Maybe the selected bonus could be a choice between +2 to Stealth or +2 to Common Knowledge checks regarding the city of your upbringing?

I like that, I hadn't considered a Common Knowledge bonus. Making the break Common Knowledge or Stealth also gives two quite different versions of Street Rat, one with a sneak thief/"second story man" feel and the other with a fixer/cop who knows everyone feel.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd give the Common Knowledge bonus regarding your home city for free as part of the character background, I wouldn't require an Edge for it.

Not so sure about the +2 to Notice, though. I know it only applies in urban environments, but as the campaign is "intended to be mainly urban-based" then it's going to apply most of the time - and Notice is a very useful skill. My players often take Alertness, and that only gives a Notice bonus.

Wirelizard wrote:
Street Rat
Professional or Background Edge (not sure which it should be)

Professional, definitely. You don't want people stacking the bonuses with Thief or Investigator.

Although to be honest I'd probably just use Thief or Investigator, rather than creating a new Edge. If you want something more focused, you might find this thread of interest.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: "Street Rat" Urban Professional/Background Edg Reply with quote

Wirelizard wrote:
While creating a ranger-style character last night, for practice and as a possible pregen, I started wondering about an urban counterpart to Woodsman, and what that might look like as an Edge.

Investigator? +2 to Streetwise, Investigation, and Notice for finding clues.
If you want the sneaky aspects then Thief.

Your creation is novel, and with SavageGamerGirl's input has become pretty cool. It should be a Professional edge, though - so it won't stack with the other Professional edges.
I'd alter the requirements to Novice, Spirit d6+, Streetwise d8+, and Persuasion or Intimidation d8+. You've got contacts and the ability to get them to help you. Cool
Wirelizard
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: "Street Rat" Urban Professional/Background Edg Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:

Investigator? +2 to Streetwise, Investigation, and Notice for finding clues.

I was thinking of it as filling a bit of a "gap" (that may exist only in my own mind, granted...) between Investigator and Thief. I was thinking of "fixers" in cyberpunk backgrounds, and all the many, many characters in various sorts of fiction who know people and things somehow, and get things done on the street, possibly by skating on the razor edge between legality and not, but who aren't (or who don't think of themselves as) either investigators or thieves.

I really like making one of the prereqs "Persuasion or Intimidation d8+" - it amplifies what I said about SavageGamerGirl's contribution, that Street Rat could be found on either side of the legal/moral divide depending on how the character was conceived of.

So, Street Rat as revised with input from all you awesome people:
===
Street Rat
Professional Edge
Req: Novice, Spirit d6+, Streetwise d8+, one of Persuasion or Intimidation d8+
In an urban environment, Street Rat grants +2 Notice, +2 Streetwise and +2 to one of (choose when you take this edge) Stealth or Common Knowledge (your city)

Street Rat represents being able to operate well in an urban environment, having contacts and knowing how to use/exploit them, and knowing how to both blend in with the crowd and spot things that are out of place. Street Rat could come from either a street gang or City Watch/police background, or similar urban upbringing or profession.
===
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: "Street Rat" Urban Professional/Background Edg Reply with quote

Wirelizard wrote:
I was thinking of it as filling a bit of a "gap" (that may exist only in my own mind, granted...) between Investigator and Thief. I was thinking of "fixers" in cyberpunk backgrounds, and all the many, many characters in various sorts of fiction who know people and things somehow, and get things done on the street,

You mean characters with the Connections edge (see Social edges). They know people, know "things", and can take care of problems by means either legal or illegal (depending upon their connections and personal style).

Street Rat still has a place in that model. I would have it do the following.
"Your Charisma is always a bonus to Streetwise checks. You can use either Persuasion or Intimidation to get your Connections to assist you. You have a +2 bonus on rolls to avoid ambushes in your city (ask your GM)."
This makes it very easy for the character to both learn facts and reach his contacts, allows the use of Persuasion (affected by Charisma) or Intimidation (ignores Charisma) to call in favors, and gives a situational bonus to trait rolls due to a combination of reputation and experience in the city (nervous ambushers make mistakes that you can detect, and you've seen or planned a lot of ambushes in this terrain so know what to look out for).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: