Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Classic] Alternate character creation rules?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinhorn Huckster
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: [Classic] Alternate character creation rules? Reply with quote

Hi there! It's me once again. Smile So, I was wondering if there were any alternate character creation rules that didn't involve luck of the draw? Preferably, one that was written by the original authors?
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I'm aware of.

What kind of rules are you looking for?
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do seem to recall someone came up with this table similar to the one for Shadowrun character creation where you select priorities to determine stuff like how much you can spend on skills and attributes. Don't know where it can be found though. Anyone?
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that comes to mind would require you move to DL:Reloaded and the Savage Worlds ruleset which doesn't rely on luck of the draw for chargen.
Waxahachie
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system for character creation in Classic does unfortunately lend itself towards the potential for a party of new characters to vary very widely in how powerful they are, which may make adventuring hard to balance. I've somewhat been able to get around it by using a simple trick I picked up from a friend.

The player makes one draw, and if unsatisfied with it, makes another. If neither draw is satisfactory, the player may have the option to take a third draw with one caveat: the third draw must be kept.

So far, it's worked out pretty well for me, though it is by no means fool proof. I'm sure if you were so inclined, you could put together a point buy system of some sort or figure out your own modifications.
Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some of the PbP games of DL:C I was in, the GM running things had a houserule that, if the player had a really crappy draw, a "Myrton the Sickly Accountant" type, he'd get a free redraw from the GM. By that matter, the GM had the right to make a player redraw if he "drew Clint", to keep players on a relatively even field.

I think there was some fan website that made a point-buy chargen system, but I can't seem to find it.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find one option. The array used for all of the character archetypes - it's the same array and could be used for all characters in the campaign.
2d12, 4d10, 2d10, 3d8, 1d8, 4d6, 3d6, 2d6, 2d6, 1d6. Not amazing, but not bad at all.
Tinhorn Huckster
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
I did find one option. The array used for all of the character archetypes - it's the same array and could be used for all characters in the campaign.
2d12, 4d10, 2d10, 3d8, 1d8, 4d6, 3d6, 2d6, 2d6, 1d6. Not amazing, but not bad at all.

Oh, good one! I'll see if my GM goes for it. Thanks a lot! Smile
reemull
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is Joe Wolf's method from the listserve many (many) moon ago.

http://www.gamerz.net/archives/deadlands@gamerz.net/200110/msg00163.html

Roy
Tinhorn Huckster
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reemull wrote:
There is Joe Wolf's method from the listserve many (many) moon ago.

Thanks! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: