Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rail gun? Holy crap, why wouldn't you want a rail gun?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ShogaHin
Novice


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Rail gun? Holy crap, why wouldn't you want a rail gun? Reply with quote

I was playing around building guns of different types and I noticed the rail gun entry under Gunsmith. Holy crap... these are sweet. Marshalls, don't look... Smile

I worked through the process and came up with this. Please send your input.


Rail Gun (0.50 Pistol)

Size 3
Structural 7
Slots 31
Durability 6/2
Load 2

Damage 5D10
Ammo size AP5(0.4x5)/50%=1.0
Shots 6
Armor Piercing 1-5 (+10+50% Structural)
RoF 1
Shots 6 x 1=6
Drain 1.0 * AP1-5 = 1.0-5.0 / shot
Increment 15
Slug Slots 6 x 1.0=6.0

ammo processor
slots =10 * 1.0 = 10
Drain = 1.0 * AP 1-5 per bullet

50 GR Powerpack
Slots 5
components: Structural 5
TN 7 (3+4)


TN: 5
Components:
Electronic: 10% = 3.1
Mechanical: 30% = 9.3
Structural: 35% = 10.85

Selector Switch
Slots 1
Components: Structural 1


Is my math correct? If so, isn't this awesome? Why wouldn't you want one of these. then add the scope like so,

TN: 5
Components:
Electronic: 20%
Mechanical: 10%
Drain: Special/Hour (1.5 GR/Hr Daytime, 2.5 GR/Hr Nighttime)

Sense: Passive ; basic sight
Slots: 1 * 0.75
Max Range 1000 yards
Drain: 1*0.5/Hr
Stability: 16 + 2/raise
Sense:Passive Low Light
Slots: 2* 0.75
Max Range 5 miles
Drain: 2* 0.75
Stability: 16 + 2/raise
Sense Passive x10 Magnification
Slots: 2* 0.75
Max Range: 5 miles
Drain: 2* 0.75
Stability: 16 + 2/raise

Passive sensors use –25% fewer slots and –50% less Drain

Miniaturize (x3)
TN: 11
Speed: Frame minutes
Duration: Permanent
Range: Touch

If this succeeds, the number of slots a power requires is reduced by 10% for each success and raise.

So, what do you all think?

Shoga
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Velox121
Novice


Joined: 29 Jan 2013
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's take a look at your railgun schematic here and see if it's up to code.

Following the gunsmith power step by step we get this:

Gunsmith: railgun
1. Select ammo [5d10, AP5. Size=(5*0.4)*0.5=1]
2. Select range increment - 15 [slots=6*(ammo size)=6*1=6]
-6 slots
3. Select ROF - 1 [slots=5*(ammo size)=5*1=5]
-5 slots
4. Select ammo capacity - 6 shot internal magazine [slots=(ammo size)*(number of rounds)=1*6=6]
-6 slots
5, Add optional selector switch [slots=1]
-1 slot
6. Add optional ammo processor [slots=10, each use drains 1GR and makes 1d6 rounds]
-10 slots
7. Add 50 GR powerpack [slots=(GR capacity)/10=50/10=5 slots, req. 5 struc. comp. and 5 oz. of ghost rock]
-5 slots
TOTAL SLOTS = 33 - Over capacity for a frame size 3 device
Drain/shot = (ammo size)*(AP value) = 1GR*(AP value)

A frame size three device (with a 31 slot capacity) is rifle sized. Pistols are frame size 1 and can only accommodate 7 slots of powers and accessories. Double check the frame size table.

You're only 2 slots over capacity. If you lower the size of the powerpack or swap the internal magazine for a detachable one you're good. It's up to your marshall if the ammo processor can feed bullets directly into a detachable magazine, although I don't see why not.

Hope this helps! Watch out for those gun spirits, omae.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VonDan
Legendary


Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 3850

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The working blue prints I have for a home built rail gun require a 24 inch barrel, Ammo is fed from a Paint gun hopper and a 50 pound rack of batteries worn on the back
_________________
http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h51/Vondan/
https://www.etsy.com/shop/VonDanLeatherworks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Velox121
Novice


Joined: 29 Jan 2013
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
The working blue prints I have for a home built rail gun require a 24 inch barrel, Ammo is fed from a Paint gun hopper and a 50 pound rack of batteries worn on the back

Free internet blueprints or it didn't happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Templar
Seasoned


Joined: 10 Mar 2010
Posts: 266

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To actually answer your quesiton, the big reason you might not want one is the risk of taint, since I assume we're talking classic. Junkers that make guns and ammo have to fear the taint each time they craft. Also, there are other issues too. Railguns need G-rays to work, so you have to either do spirit taps, power packs or batteries, and you have to keep making custom ammo. Now yeah, those things are great, and if you can keep the junker alive, the gun doesn't go insanely haywire, and you can keep the junker from going nuts and the batteries charged you're in good shape. The problem is that railguns make you dependent on the junker, so if they bite it...well that's it charlie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShogaHin
Novice


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Templar wrote:
To actually answer your quesiton, the big reason you might not want one is the risk of taint, since I assume we're talking classic. Junkers that make guns and ammo have to fear the taint each time they craft. Also, there are other issues too. Railguns need G-rays to work, so you have to either do spirit taps, power packs or batteries, and you have to keep making custom ammo. Now yeah, those things are great, and if you can keep the junker alive, the gun doesn't go insanely haywire, and you can keep the junker from going nuts and the batteries charged you're in good shape. The problem is that railguns make you dependent on the junker, so if they bite it...well that's it charlie.


The answer is just to make em for the entire party... and with certain browser spirits, and a very high spirit with chips to spend you can keep the taint away. yeah, I know you have to draw +2 cards when dealing with gun spirits so keeping the TN of items down is the way to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ValhallaGH
Legendary


Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 6202

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShogaHin wrote:
The answer is just to make em for the entire party... and with certain browser spirits, and a very high spirit with chips to spend you can keep the taint away. yeah, I know you have to draw +2 cards when dealing with gun spirits so keeping the TN of items down is the way to go.

That helps with the Taint.
It doesn't do a thing for the other issues mentioned (keeping batteries charged, staying supplied with ammo, what to do if the Junkers gets mangled or dead).
_________________
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShogaHin
Novice


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
ShogaHin wrote:
The answer is just to make em for the entire party... and with certain browser spirits, and a very high spirit with chips to spend you can keep the taint away. yeah, I know you have to draw +2 cards when dealing with gun spirits so keeping the TN of items down is the way to go.

That helps with the Taint.
It doesn't do a thing for the other issues mentioned (keeping batteries charged, staying supplied with ammo, what to do if the Junkers gets mangled or dead).


The main issue here is the downtime to make ammo for em. With the hopper you don't need to make ammo. It makes its own. You just have to supply the metal.

As for keeping them batteries charged, a size 2 reactor will do the trick nicely. Getting the irradiated ghost rock will be the trick.

and death? Well, not much to say there. If the junker dies, hope he becomes harrowed, otherwise, find another junker to join the party or have one on retainer.

Shoga
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jack_Spade
Novice


Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Posts: 57

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How expensive per shot is it to shoot this gun?

Also, how do you propose to recharge this gun after your battery is dead? I didn't see a powerjack anywhere there in the list of slots used.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShogaHin
Novice


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_Spade wrote:
How expensive per shot is it to shoot this gun?

Also, how do you propose to recharge this gun after your battery is dead? I didn't see a powerjack anywhere there in the list of slots used.


Depending on the AP you select it ranges from 1 GR - 5 GR per shot. But you have to select the AP when you make the ammo with the hopper. So, if you select AP 2 then you get 1D6 AP 2 shots at 2GR / shot.

Yes, I see.. it would need a powerjack for charging. I've also gotten other info on some changes that I would need to make as well. With the powerjack, total slots at present would be at 35 which is 4 over capacity.

I will have to sit down and rework my math and see what works best. If I increase the frame size to 4, that would get me plenty of extra space but I wanted it to be one-handed and I don't want to have to reduce the powerpacks size.

Shoga
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jack_Spade
Novice


Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Posts: 57

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShogaHin wrote:
Jack_Spade wrote:
How expensive per shot is it to shoot this gun?

Also, how do you propose to recharge this gun after your battery is dead? I didn't see a powerjack anywhere there in the list of slots used.


Depending on the AP you select it ranges from 1 GR - 5 GR per shot. But you have to select the AP when you make the ammo with the hopper. So, if you select AP 2 then you get 1D6 AP 2 shots at 2GR / shot.

Yes, I see.. it would need a powerjack for charging. I've also gotten other info on some changes that I would need to make as well. With the powerjack, total slots at present would be at 35 which is 4 over capacity.

I will have to sit down and rework my math and see what works best. If I increase the frame size to 4, that would get me plenty of extra space but I wanted it to be one-handed and I don't want to have to reduce the powerpacks size.

Shoga


It appears that the most viable option is to turn the powerpack into a battery pack; you could have three 8-point spirit battery spaces in the thing, which would solve your slot and power problem.
I know, you don't get the 50-point powerpack, but it does solve all the problems.

As for the expense; I meant pure cash. each single point of G-ray energy you get from ghost rock costs about $1.25 (assuming a viable market you can buy from).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShogaHin
Novice


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jack_Spade"]
ShogaHin wrote:
Jack_Spade wrote:
How expensive per shot is it to shoot this gun?

Also, how do you propose to recharge this gun after your battery is dead? I didn't see a powerjack anywhere there in the list of slots used.


It appears that the most viable option is to turn the powerpack into a battery pack; you could have three 8-point spirit battery spaces in the thing, which would solve your slot and power problem.
I know, you don't get the 50-point powerpack, but it does solve all the problems.

As for the expense; I meant pure cash. each single point of G-ray energy you get from ghost rock costs about $1.25 (assuming a viable market you can buy from).


Well, to my mind the cost for shooting the railgun will be negligible considering taking out whatever your shooting with 1 or 2 shots. Then looting time. Otherwise, as a pc mission go to a GR reactor and get enough irradiated GR to make a small reactor.. Then charge those batteries and shoot to your hearts content.

And now for my rework.. I just lowered the damage to 4D10 instead of 5D10.

Associated Spirits: Gun
TN: 5
Components: Chemical: 10% Structural: 10%

0.50 ammo 4D10 damage

Gunsmith Power
Rail Gun (0.50 Heavy Pistol)

Size Structural Slots Durability Load
3 7 21/31 6/2 2
Damage Ammo size Shots Armor Piercing Magazine Slots 4D10 AP * (0.4x4)/50%=0.8 6 5 (+50% Structural) 6 x 0.8=4.8

Drain Increment Range Slug Slots
0.8 x AP* = 0.8-3.5 / shot 15 6 x 0.8=4.8

RoF Slots
1 5 x 0.8=3.5
ammo processor
slots =10 * 0.8 = 8 Drain = 1.0 * AP * per bullet

* Dependent on selector switch setting. 1-5

Selector Switch
Slots Components Max AP
1 Mechanical 1 5

Powerjack
Slots = 2

Powerpacks
Powerpacks are basically spirit batteries that are permanently built into the device. They are more space efficient than batteries because it’s not necessary to leave room for G-ray contacts and the battery’s bulky casing. These are built in the same way as spirit batteries. It’s not necessary to build a large powerpack in one piece. A device which needs a 100-GR powerpack may actually have ten 10- GR packs inside it. Divide the powerpack’s GR capacity by 10 to find how many slots it takes up in the device.

50 GR Powerpack
Slots used = 5

Shoga
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum