Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medieval Town Buildings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Medieval Town Buildings Reply with quote

I'm looking to get some medieval buildings, and I've been checking out the ones at Armorcast. Do you have feedback on them or should I be looking elsewhere? These will be primarily used around the game table but I would be using them at Cons (well Con on the Cob).

Y
Ryche
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used any from Armorcast, but do like the fact the roof can be removed, so the interior can be used.

I have used a lot of Dave Grafam models. One of the bonuses is that they are paper and most have different layers so one building can be presented several different ways. Also, nice and light to move around and if someone crushes one, easy enough to make a replacement.[/url]
WildDude
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dave Graffam models are fantastic. They look amazing when built, are easy to make and are well designed. A lot of the models have multiple 'skins' which you can choose before you print to add details and / or modify the textures. They're also incredible value for money.
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My faves are by the Miniature Building Authority.

They're pre-painted and assembled, but looks like they're quite a bit more pricey than Armorcast.
Ryche
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildDude wrote:
The Dave Graffam models are fantastic. They look amazing when built, are easy to make and are well designed. A lot of the models have multiple 'skins' which you can choose before you print to add details and / or modify the textures. They're also incredible value for money.

I would second that. Granted they are paper models and take a little time constructing, but they hold up well. Also, nice and light. With our group is also no biggie if someone accidentally crushes/breaks one since you just reprint it.
Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graffam's stuff is the best for quality AND variety, hands down. In very short time you can build a vibrant city. I used to be a big Worldworks guy, but the return on your time investment is low and the whole thing ends up being very fiddly. Fat Dragon (www.fatdragongames.com) is also very good.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time the paper buildings from the old D&D battle systems (which I found complete and unused for $1.99) were available for free at the wizards of the coast web site
Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
At one time the paper buildings from the old D&D battle systems (which I found complete and unused for $1.99) were available for free at the wizards of the coast web site

These guys: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fpm/archive

They're not bad. I bought the original years ago and they were pretty great. Printing them out on lighter cardstock seems to make them a little more fiddly to put together. The Graffam models look a lot better.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count Zero wrote:
VonDan wrote:

They're not bad. I bought the original years ago and they were pretty great. Printing them out on lighter cardstock seems to make them a little more fiddly to put together. The Graffam models look a lot better.

I never had the time, space or reason to build a 3d setup but i did some test and printed them out on older Vanilla folders that were heavier than card stock. Depending on the feed track of your printer, you can run some thicker and weirder materials in the printer. If I were to build a set up I might print them out on card stock or old folders then cut off all the tabs and glue them to cereal and cracker boxes of the right or closest size then trime off any hanging edges and cover the corner in a thin angel of cardboard panted to match the corner molding of the building.

I used to carve accurate castle towers and gates from blue foam in 1/72 scale. You could also glue the printed out building to blocks of blue foam then finish off the edges and roofs as you would a full model building
Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the manilla folder thing when I first started doing paper models, but back then they were mostly black and white. Once color became the norm, manilla didn't quite do the job.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count Zero wrote:
VonDan wrote:

Thank you! I hadn't seen those before, and they'll add a lot to some of my games.
Sadric
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another very usefull free set for early medieval/Viking is
http://inkjetpaperscissors.blogspot.de/
Search for Laketown models.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nice thing about paper models is they can be rescaled on your printer to corespond to different sizes such as 15mm, true 25, and 32mm scales.

SteveN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: