Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there an oriental adventure setting for SW?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daftcody
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Is there an oriental adventure setting for SW? Reply with quote

I'm wanting to look into creating an Asian style setting for a game and want some reference material.
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends a lot on what you are wanting to get. Do you want to buy something? I would suggest Way of the Ronin for Iron Dynasty.

But if you want to mine other RPG sources for ideas, Sengoku for Fuzion has some good materials. I have thought about mining ideas from the Legend of the 5 Rings or whatever that is called. What little I have seen from it looks to be interesting.

To be evil is to live backwards
Jonah Hex
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second Iron Dynasty and L5R above.

For a more historical-ish campaign.

GURPS China
GURPS Japan

And for something really over the top:

Feng Shui
islan
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll -1 Iron Dynasty, it had great production values but the content really left me disappointed.
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

islan wrote:
I'll -1 Iron Dynasty, it had great production values but the content really left me disappointed.

I have never used the actual setting, but I do like the equipment and edges. Those can be used in other settings and are already statted for Savage Worlds.

To be evil is to live backwards
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

islan wrote:

What particular content are you referring to? If its historical background, adventures, plot point campaign I'd agree it's somewhat lacking, but everything else IMO is first rate. Plot point campaign is the biggest weakness, because all that's included are a number of bulletted outlines for such campaigns as opposed to complete, linked adventures. Aside from that though; the edges, hindrances, arcane backgrounds, corrupted NPC creator, beast generator and some of the specialized systems such as reputation and dueling are terrific. The martial arts and sword combat edges alone are IMO pretty much worth the price of the book. I've run a campaign in it for months and it certainly has captured the flavor of mythical fantasy set in Feudal Japan.
Jim
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronovan wrote:
islan wrote:

What particular content are you referring to? If its historical background, adventures, plot point campaign I'd agree it's somewhat lacking, but everything else IMO is first rate. Plot point campaign is the biggest weakness, because all that's included are a number of bulletted outlines for such campaigns as opposed to complete, linked adventures. Aside from that though; the edges, hindrances, arcane backgrounds, corrupted NPC creator, beast generator and some of the specialized systems such as reputation and dueling are terrific. The martial arts and sword combat edges alone are IMO pretty much worth the price of the book. I've run a campaign in it for months and it certainly has captured the flavor of mythical fantasy set in Feudal Japan.

I'll second this. The setting information was lacking but I used a lot of the Edges and other rules in my own oriental fantasy setting. Everything works very well and easily incorporates into Savage Worlds.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you want to know more about the Iron Dynasty setting then the Guidebooks and Kesshi Tales and other supplements are excellent sources of additional information.
islan
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeeleyOne wrote:

I have never used the actual setting, but I do like the equipment and edges. Those can be used in other settings and are already statted for Savage Worlds.

I personally found the Edges quite broken, specifically the Elemental ones that allowed casters to throw Fire Bolts for 3d6+1d4, or Earthen Smite a weapon for +4+1d4. This is something that came out from actual play rather than just reading.

kronovan wrote:

My biggest disappointment was the setting, as I found it quite a mess full of contradictions, such as character names changing. It also really underperformed with the promised mecha (kikai?).

I also found the dueling rules to not actually be rules about dueling at all, but rather poorly written social customs on when and how you can challenge or deny a duel. It was really quite complicated, and could have been presented better.

ValhallaGH wrote:

And if you want to know more about the Iron Dynasty setting then the Guidebooks and Kesshi Tales and other supplements are excellent sources of additional information.

I actually picked up one of the Guidebooks, hoping it would give me some more content to work the setting with. Even though it was only like two or three dollars, I was even disappointed with that as a third of the text seemed to just be copy-pasted from the core book, another third was rather pointless stats for deer and other animals (though I liked the idea of purple hippos), with only the remaining third being new and useful content*.

* - the term "third" is only being used as a rough measure taken from memory of what the page count seemed to be devoted to.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

islan wrote:
My biggest disappointment was the setting, as I found it quite a mess full of contradictions, such as character names changing. It also really underperformed with the promised mecha (kikai?).

No argument there, as I said above I think the historical background could have been better written and with what little there is on the Kikai, they could have been left out. I do think the background for the provinces was decent and done better than a number of the SW settings I own.

Quote:
I also found the dueling rules to not actually be rules about dueling at all, but rather poorly written social customs on when and how you can challenge or deny a duel. It was really quite complicated, and could have been presented better.

True, but the social customs aspect is what I like about it and I think it aligns the setting very nicely with the flavor of the classic Samurai movie. As well, that it links/influences reputation, which in turn effects social play mechanics means as a GM you can get a lot of mileage out of the those in terms of social role-playing. I agree it could have been better written (have the same criticism for Extended Trait Checks) but with a minor bit of tweaking it and reputation can really enhance a campaign.
islan
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronovan wrote:

No argument there, as I said above I think the historical background could have been better written and with what little there is on the Kikai, they could have been left out. I do think the background for the provinces was decent and done better than a number of the SW settings I own.

Well I don't mind it being un-historic, as it really is meant as a fantasy setting. And you are right, the product should be congratulated on covering all the provinces, though I kinda wish they gave some more details in a summation. If I recall correctly, I do not believe it is normally stated who runs a specific province, or what kind of rumors one can find in it. But it was a long time ago, so I may be remembering incorrectly.

Quote:

True, but the social customs aspect is what I like about it and I think it aligns the setting very nicely with the flavor of the classic Samurai movie. As well, that it links/influences reputation, which in turn effects social play mechanics means as a GM you can get a lot of mileage out of the those in terms of social role-playing. I agree it could have been better written (have the same criticism for Extended Trait Checks) but with a minor bit of tweaking it and reputation can really enhance a campaign.

Oh, I have no problem that the rules are limited to social customs, I just felt they could of been explained better, and it might have benefited with some tables. I also don't think the product should advertise "duel rules" as it is rather misleading, which led to my disappointment.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

islan wrote:
kronovan wrote:

Well I don't mind it being un-historic, as it really is meant as a fantasy setting.

I was referring to the intro history for the mythical setting of Konoya. I found it a bit too brief and somewhat disjointed, to the point where I had to read through it a few times. I think overall, the background intro could have been written better and should have been a bit longer.
islan
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronovan wrote:

I was referring to the intro history for the mythical setting of Konoya. I found it a bit too brief and somewhat disjointed, to the point where I had to read through it a few times. I think overall, the background intro could have been written better and should have been a bit longer.

Ah, I see. I personally thought it was long enough, but I agree that it felt disjointed.
Jim
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really too bad that the setting material for Iron Dynasty wasn't put together a little better. I thought the rules really managed to add a fantasy sengoku jidai feeling to SW. Maybe they did it on purpose to force everyone to buy their region guides.
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if your looking for story content you can salvage from other games but if its stats you want perhaps deadlands reloaded the flood? it expands on the chi mastery from the original reloaded players manual.
it won't work story wise because... well its sorta like being in china town of a setting that if you go to the more teched up places you can pretend your in world war 1 with Vietnam style helicopter battles thrown in for kicks and giggles (boy was that a fun if short part of our campaign.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: