Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Necessary Evil Protean Stats [**Spoilers**]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaMoose
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Necessary Evil Protean Stats [**Spoilers**] Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
I'm starting up a Necessary Evil game at my school and I've had a few twists.
The major one being that for the first semester I have the time being in the year 2000, just prior to the V'sori attack. My players expressed wanting to try being a plain villain before being villains attempting to be heroic and organized. So I have a pre-story arc of Villains v. Heroes.

One of my players was interested in being some Alien Race, and she has chameleon as her primary power, which led me to thinking of making her a protean.

So my question being, does anyone have any stats for Proteans as a player character?

Thanks!

Also, If anyone is wondering I have played Necessary Evil, though not in the traditional manner. I played 'Kyle' aka 'the Coyote' in the same game as Gospog
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Necessary Evil Protean Stats Reply with quote

JaMoose wrote:
So my question being, does anyone have any stats for Proteans as a player character?

Well, there's one in the book... <spoilers, highlight to read>

Quote:
Willy the Fish, who has Ageless, Altered Form, Animal Control (Shapechanger), Chameleon (Inanimate Object, Voice), Copycat, and Regeneration (Fast Regeneration).

A starting character would have to drop and/or reduce some of those powers, but it might be possible to play a "young" Protean who hasn't yet learned to use their full abilities.

www.peginc.com
JaMoose
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What racial benefits would I take into consideration for a Protean?

I looked over Willy the Fish, but couldn't determine if he would have received a bonus edge like a human or something like telepathy that atlanteans receive.

I'd like to keep the players advancing opportunities as balanced as possible, though I do realize a protean that receives a decent amount of experience may definitely tilt the scales in terms of power.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reread how Necessary Evil and the Super Powers Companion handle non-human races. Some of their super powers are "racial traits" and the rest of their powers are whatever else they can do. But they have the exact same game mechanics as the human heroes. Very Happy
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said. Most alien "races" are just built using human as the template and Powers and Hindrances to define the race.

Also, NPCs aren't built like players, so don't expect an NPC to provide that kind of basis for such builds. He can give an idea what they would have, but that's about it. Proteans simply aren't designed to be a playable race. It'll take a bit of work, sacrifice, and tweaking to make that feasible. Plus, of course working with the player.

If everyone's amenable, I'd suggest something like...

Your character is unique, one of the few true Proteans born on Earth. You were raised as a human, never really knowing you were different until your 16th birthday when an "aunt" came to visit. She explained that the Proteans had been living on this planet since they crashlanded almost a hundred years ago fleeing from an ancient foe. Most avoided each other and hid among the populace to reduce the chance of their foe discovering them, but your parents were an exception at least for a bit.

To protect you, they put you up for adoption, using the Protean innate defense mechanism to mimic the primary lifeform around them so you "became human." Unfortunately, that instinctive defense mechanism is hard to break, so it will take time and practice to gain use of your alien abilities, and some of the more advanced abilities may take centuries to access.

Mechanics:
Ageless - 1 point (Proteans simply don't age after reaching maturity).
Altered Form (Physical) - 3 points (squeezing and stretching the human form is an easily learned ability and the resistance to physical harm, +4 Armor, is innate)
Chameleon (Voice) - 5 points (mimicking other human forms is also one of the simplest abilities)
Regeneration (Fast) - 10 points (Proteans innately heal faster)

That's 19 points out of the 20 the character will start with. It's not actually listed as a "power" for Willy, but I might suggest putting the last point in Super Attribute (Vigor) as I see Proteans as being pretty healthy.

Then with time (taking the Power Points Edge), the character could pick up...

The ability to mimic powers (Copycat at 2/level)
The ability to mimic animals or roughly the same size (Animal Control-Shapechange at a base of 8 pts, which will take saving up points to get).
The ability to look like inanimate objects (add Inanimate Object to Chameleon for 3 pts.)

It's one way to do it at least.

Optionally, maybe the character isn't a full Protean, but unlike most is a direct half-Protean. So some basic shapechanging powers, but can tweak the specific powers or even have different ones due to the effects of the human DNA.

Be kind of intriguing if Willy the Fish is literally her father. Twisted Evil

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: