Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

polishing ROF in modern/sci-fi setting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheatiess
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: polishing ROF in modern/sci-fi setting Reply with quote

while rof has been tackled in many other posts i am trying to smooth out a system that will both simplify it for our group and allow higher rates of fire for a bigger varity

so

mode _________code___dice___attack/damage__bullets___ notes
single shot_____SS ____1____________________1
double tap_____DT_____1______+1 ___+1 _____2
3roundburst____TRB___1_______+2 ___+2 _____3
semi2?________S2____2_______-1 ____________5
full3__________F3____3_______-2 ____________10
full4__________F4____4_______-2 ____________15
rapid5________R5____5_______-3_____________20 supressing
rapid6________R6____6_______-3 ____________25 supressing

supressing: when supressing rolls of one or 2 will count as a hit

that way the codes can be listed for each gun we have and shots(just as a guide as the could still change fire rate fom round to round)

autopistol F3 clip 20 (2)
as it can only fire at F3 it only gets 2 shots before clip is empty

Stub auto SS,DT,S2 clip 10 (10/5/2)
10 shots at single 5 double taps or 2 at S2

assultcannon F4,R6 clip 225 (15/9)
15 at full 4 or 9 at rapid 6

lasgun SS,f3 clip 60 (60/6) multi setting at high power (30/3)
revolver SS.DT clip 6 (6/3)

my areas of concern are

the names for each mode(and hence the code)
semi 2/S2 is not right as some will be just a slow rate of fully auto but i dont want it called F2 as it corisponds to the modifier

the bullets used: i have left them as numbers that are easy to work with but sometimes fell that they may not be high enough. guns that can fire in R6 generally cant fire at much slower rates so you could consider the usage to be abstact.
just better than tracking 4 9 16 25 36 as the dont go into each other very well

and the -3 for rapid and -1 for S2
most rapid weapons will be vehical mounts or platform mounts requiring stabilisers so the-3 is really just for poeple that try to pick them up and use them standing
the -1 for S2 feels right to me for some reason but i think im stuck on a few weapons with a slower rate of fire that make me think this is the way to go for this setting(if you havent picked it up 40k)

any feedback on names, bullet usage, or non standard fire penalties would be welcome
Archmage
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
any feedback on names, bullet usage, or non standard fire penalties would be welcome

For the most part you can achieve what you want without "bending" the rules. The Autofire rules already allow for different rates of fire. Simply set the ROF between 2 and 6. Give the weapons with ROF 5-6 the snapfire penalty, in addition they are likely to be heavy enough to encumber your heroes and imply another -1 on there shooting (your suggested -3).
To adress different firing mode like your autocannon(F4/R6) it is already possible to fire less than your full ROF (mostly to save ammo). You can tie the snapfire penalty to the higher rate of fire : If the weapon is used with a ROF of 5 and above the weapon gets the snapfire penalty.

The reworked bulletusage is fine, it minimizes bookkeeping.
Regarding the better suppression of the weapons with high ROF give them a new capabilty.

Suprresive

Due to the high cyclic rate of fire of the weapon, if the opponents fail their spirit roll while resisting suppressive fire they are hit on a roll of 1 and 2 regardless of the wild die.

Hope that helps
wheatiess
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the high cyclic rate of fire of the weapon, if the opponents fail their spirit roll while resisting suppressive fire they are hit on a roll of 1 and 2 regardless of the wild die.

cheers for writing that out correctly i did put it in but so slap dash it didnt come out right

some weapons struggle to be selective with there fire rate and while they could be doing bursts over the 6 seconds of game time i was going more for 2 rates of fire then a range for the assult cannon so 4 or 6 not 4 to 6. the intention for this was to clarify the auto fire only for some weapons by having all their option as a code. but yes the code could be a range

i didnt mention snap fire be cuase it only applies to weapons with lots of recoil
there could be a smg that has F4 but no snap fire or a autocannon(not assultcannon) that has S2 but still has snap fire

but i did forget weight as a factor

side conversation
S2 bolter, stub auto, autocannon
F3 heavy bolter, las guns, auto gun,
F4 heavy stuber, shuriken weapons
R5 multi laser
R6 assult cannon

is their anything smallish that would match the fire rate of R5 R6
Archmage
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i didnt mention snap fire be cuase it only applies to weapons with lots of recoil
there could be a smg that has F4 but no snap fire or a autocannon(not assultcannon) that has S2 but still has snap fire

In my opinion snapfire too applies to unwieldly weapons so your example would be entirily correct.

Quote:
side conversation
S2 bolter, stub auto, autocannon
F3 heavy bolter, las guns, auto gun,
F4 heavy stuber, shuriken weapons
R5 multi laser
R6 assult cannon

is their anything smallish that would match the fire rate of R5 R6

If u wanna stick with the different modes S2/F3-4/R5-6 instead of a flat F2-6 (or Auto ROF 2-6) it sounds ok for me.

As for the smallish R5/6 I think of somethin orky #gunbattle
They are idiotic enough to try somthing like that.
Or some experimental shuriken weapons, the guys with the pointy ears are advanced enough to rip off someting like that.
No equivalent for the humans though...
wheatiess
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was thinking it but didnt write it snap fire goes with long barreld weapons that are ...hard to snap fire so yeah

snapfire too applies to unwieldly weapons

one of the books that starts with a big I(really disliked some of it rules)
lists shuriken weaps as faster than assult cannons...just. so they might get a R6 but i dont want people walking around with those for the sake of the group as a squad of 5 shooting 6 dies each would start to bog down.. maybe(torn btween deathwatch and heresy level)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: