Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When Driving a Steam Wagon or Other Infernal Conveyance...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otherdoc
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: When Driving a Steam Wagon or Other Infernal Conveyance... Reply with quote

How often is it appropriate to ask for a Driving roll outside of combat?

I know you need to do it in combat, chases and the like but what about when you're just driving an infernal device from one place to another?

Do they still go Out of Control if they fail the roll (without rolling snake eyes)?

Using the Out of Control rules is appropriate for an intense round-by-round situation, but it strikes me that if you're just hurtling along from Salina to Abilene (as my posse did last night), it can just seem kind of annoying.

That said, I understand that infernal devices can be dangerously unstable and would still like to reflect that in their use. So, last night when the driver failed his roll, since it wasn't a tense situation instead of going to the OoC table I just said that they had trouble handling the steam wagon on the way over and it took them twice as long as it otherwise would have to make the trip.

Is that kind of thing appropriate or are there "casual driving for dangerous vehicles" rules tucked away somewhere that I haven't come across yet? What other ways might there be of handling this?
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officially: Nothing I'm aware of.

Personally: Once per day of travel, if we're talking about crossing terrain. If it's just city life, once per month that passes without having an adventure. Simple failure generates a level of vehicle fatigue (basically a Wound, but not critical hit), and a 1 on the Driving die causes a malfunction as normal.
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: When Driving a Steam Wagon or Other Infernal Conveyance. Reply with quote

otherdoc wrote:
How often is it appropriate to ask for a Driving roll outside of combat?

I know you need to do it in combat, chases and the like but what about when you're just driving an infernal device from one place to another?

Do they still go Out of Control if they fail the roll (without rolling snake eyes)?

Using the Out of Control rules is appropriate for an intense round-by-round situation, but it strikes me that if you're just hurtling along from Salina to Abilene (as my posse did last night), it can just seem kind of annoying.

That said, I understand that infernal devices can be dangerously unstable and would still like to reflect that in their use. So, last night when the driver failed his roll, since it wasn't a tense situation instead of going to the OoC table I just said that they had trouble handling the steam wagon on the way over and it took them twice as long as it otherwise would have to make the trip.

Is that kind of thing appropriate or are there "casual driving for dangerous vehicles" rules tucked away somewhere that I haven't come across yet? What other ways might there be of handling this?

As often as you want, depending on the trip length.

As for consequences of a mishap. I would go with the ever present "Plot Hook" problem. Twisted Evil

When a player rolls a 1 on a driving roll, the steam car breaks down, This always seems to be annoyingly convenient for the group to have to get more water from a stream guarded by prarie ticks, a town that needs help, or near a ghost town where you need to get somethng from that black smith's shop... Obviously nothing can go wrong there, can it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: