Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ritual Magic rules for fantasy campaigns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyricPL
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Ritual Magic rules for fantasy campaigns Reply with quote

I'm mostly a lurker around here, so I hope I don't come off as a total tool here, but I wanted to share my house rules for rituals in my Savage Worlds Deluxe fantasy game, which I posted on my blog: http://ageofruins.wordpress.com/2012/10/04/ritual-magic-in-the-age-of-ruins/

Again, I hope I don't come off as too shameless, just thought some people might be interested in the ideas.
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ritual Magic rules for fantasy campaigns Reply with quote

CyricPL wrote:
I'm mostly a lurker around here, so I hope I don't come off as a total tool here, but I wanted to share my house rules for rituals in my Savage Worlds Deluxe fantasy game, which I posted on my blog: http://ageofruins.wordpress.com/2012/10/04/ritual-magic-in-the-age-of-ruins/

Again, I hope I don't come off as too shameless, just thought some people might be interested in the ideas.

Interesting take. I just use the Ritual rules in the Horror Companion minus the severe consequences for failure. The only consequences I consider are loss of time and resources and possibly more depending on circumstances (e.g., beat-the-clock scenarios, summoning an outsider, attempting to bind an outsider against its will).
Raise Calculator
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always on the look out for some good Savage Rituals. So, thanks for sharing. Very Happy
CyricPL
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I actually haven't picked up the Horror Companion yet, even though I've been meaning to. Especially in light of the "magic is dangerous" vibe I have in my campaign, I should really prioritize that.
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyricPL wrote:
Thanks guys! I actually haven't picked up the Horror Companion yet, even though I've been meaning to. Especially in light of the "magic is dangerous" vibe I have in my campaign, I should really prioritize that.
You should definitely pick it up. It has quite a few new powers that are perfect for evil characters in a fantasy setting. I use it as a Fantasy Companion II: Book of Not-So-Vile Darkness. ;P
Raise Calculator
Lord Karick
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I posted on the blog I really like the feel of this. Keep it coming. Absolutely no reason to think this is below par - be proud of it!

I would also recommend Misfit Studio's Powers Grimoire: Places of Power.
Dracones
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the rules are fantastic as are the example rituals. I think using dramatic tasks for the ritual casting was a great idea and I like how you've defined out the ritual themselves with backfire results.

Is learning a new ritual the same as taking a new power edge?
GlassJaw
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Beasts & Barbarians have rules for ritual magic? I imagine it must, since that's a huge part of the Conan mythos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: