Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trappings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Trappings Reply with quote

In Savage Worlds Deluxe pages 106 and 107 (I do not know the page reference for the Explorers) there are several types of trappings and suggested effects.

Does anyone have a list of trappings beyond that? It is fun to have trappings that can add a little more "oomph" and style to a given power.

To be evil is to live backwards
farik
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Trappings Reply with quote

SeeleyOne wrote:
In Savage Worlds Deluxe pages 106 and 107 (I do not know the page reference for the Explorers) there are several types of trappings and suggested effects.

Does anyone have a list of trappings beyond that? It is fun to have trappings that can add a little more "oomph" and style to a given power.

That's a pretty tall order since the whole point of trappings is that they literally multiply the power list. But I think the Arcane Background section of my Nightlife setting are a nice representation of how powers can be tweaked with trapping to get different effects.

Savage Nightlife

feel free to look it over for ideas.
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very cool link and gives me some ideas for one of my many projects, basically a SW variation on the World of Darkness mixed with the Dresden Files.

What I was wondering were ideas on cool little mods to an existing spell for a certain type of power. For example, the SWD has some little tricks that a character can add to a spell by having the Electricity trapping to several different types of spells (not just a lightning bolt).

I was thinking that by adding a spark of Life to a character's spells they could heal people a bit whilte casting a protection spell, remove fatigue while boosting Vigor, etc. You spend an additional power point (or take a skill penalty for No Power Points, which I have been leaning towards lately).

To be evil is to live backwards
farik
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeeleyOne wrote:
That is a very cool link and gives me some ideas for one of my many projects, basically a SW variation on the World of Darkness mixed with the Dresden Files.

What I was wondering were ideas on cool little mods to an existing spell for a certain type of power. For example, the SWD has some little tricks that a character can add to a spell by having the Electricity trapping to several different types of spells (not just a lightning bolt).

I was thinking that by adding a spark of Life to a character's spells they could heal people a bit whilte casting a protection spell, remove fatigue while boosting Vigor, etc. You spend an additional power point (or take a skill penalty for No Power Points, which I have been leaning towards lately).

A couple of guidelines I use when developing trappings are
*make sure you're not bundling too many effects together.
*make sure the effectiveness of the powers reflect the setting
*link trappings strongly to the Arcane Background that activates them.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeeleyOne wrote:

You might want to check out the "Power Trappings" section on page 14 on Savage Armoury:

"Weapon abilities may also be used to adjust the trappings of offensive powers such as Bolt, Burst or Blast, and at the GM's discretion some abilities may even be taken multiple times. The power has 0 points of weapon abilities, or 2 points if you increase the PP cost by +1.

For example a necromantic attack that shoots shards of bone at the enemy might have High Powered (+2) and Low Penetration twice (-2), while a beam of light might have Very High Penetration twice (+4) and Very Lower Powered (-4). An electrical or flaming attack that bypasses armour might simply take High Penetration (+2) and increase its PP cost by +1.
"

Those examples accurately reproduce four of the trappings listed in SWD: Necromantic "Shards", Light "Beam", Electricity "Armor Piercing" and Fire/Heat "Armor Piercing" respectively. But of course you could select other weapon abilities to design your own trappings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: