Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Flood Plot Point 1 GM questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: The Flood Plot Point 1 GM questions Reply with quote

It looks like my posse is going to at least do a couple of adventures in The Flood plot point book. However, I have some questions about some potential rough spots in the first adventure: The Hellbore.

Rough Spot #1:
After the Apache fight, how to I make the idea of going into a cave in the middle of nowhere seem like a good idea to the posse. I know, sure not all the Apache were incapacitated in the fight, but whats to stop a character from saying, "the devil you know is better than the one you don't?" Except adventure for adventure sake, the Curious Hindrance, or playing along, I can see the players going, "Gee following mysterious train tracks in a tunnel far too big to be a mine doesn't seem like that sane of an idea." And I can't fault them on that. I'm just looking for ideas to get them to follow the railroad to the next part. Do you think maybe bits of Ghost Rock glittering in the lamp light making a trail to Hellstromme's camp will be enough?

Rough Spot #2:
The Denver-Pacific train and debris has pretty much blocked off the eastern passage of the tunnel. However, the Wasatch train blasts a path through later on. My question is how far do you recommend the Hellstromme's camp be from the opening made by the DP train? I figure is needs to be far enough that the Wasatch Train has time to blast a path through, but not so far that the posse decides to climb back out of the tunnel.

Ultimately, I think my players will play along and might not even see these things as an issue. But one of them is fairly wily about things like this, and I want to have a good answer at the ready just in case.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Flood Plot Point 1 GM questions Reply with quote

Clash957 wrote:
Rough Spot #1:
After the Apache fight, how to I make the idea of going into a cave in the middle of nowhere seem like a good idea to the posse.

Winter.
This is December in the Rocky Mountains. For those who don't know what that's like ... remember the first Lord of the Rings movie (The Fellowship of the Ring)? Remember the scene when they are all marching through the snow, life sucks, and the decide to go back and go through Moria? A Rocky Mountain winter can be a lot like that. The Donner Party lost it going through the Rockies.

Clash957 wrote:
Rough Spot #2:
My question is how far do you recommend the Hellstromme's camp be from the opening made by the DP train?

I made it be several miles (a couple hours of walking).
This didn't matter much, since my entire posse was Incapacitated during the battle (Reinforcements + Uh Oh! + Battlefield Promotion + Marshal has Buffalo Soldiers handy = Party Wipe, though they all survived without me having to fudge anything) - two of them were batted through the air into the hole and the last was found by Wasatch guards while the engineers repaired the tunnel. The whole bunch were carted to the camp for intelligence, humanitarian reasons, and possible execution.
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Flood Plot Point 1 GM questions Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
Clash957 wrote:
Rough Spot #1:
After the Apache fight, how to I make the idea of going into a cave in the middle of nowhere seem like a good idea to the posse.

Winter.
This is December in the Rocky Mountains.

Sierra Nevadas, actually. But the principle still stands.

Also, describe it as a strikingly odd subterranean tunnel with brand-new train tracks running through it, instead of just a hole in the ground. Which is to say, accentuate the mystery and the players will follow (especially the Curious ones).
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses,

I'll definitely play up the high altitude, cold, and rugged terrain. I'll also mention there isn't a settlement within a 100 miles even if the posse knew what direction to head. That compared to the relatively warm tunnel, with railroad tracks so fresh they must have been laid within the last week.

To help out the poor scrapper-mad scientist, I will place a couple dropped pieces of ghost rock (enough so he can operate his four steam powered legs at full power for a couple of days). The posse I have just ain't all that curious. Their biggest motivations are dinero and vengeance. It is the main reason their heading out to the Maze.
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasatch tracks are made of ghost steel... that could be another angle to draw in the mad scientist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: