Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick and dirty: Borderlands Style Setting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OSIAdept
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Quick and dirty: Borderlands Style Setting Reply with quote

Working on my Alpha Draconis setting which is essentially a space opera with cyberpunk and western elements (Borrowing elements from borderlands and mass effect here) i decided to lay down all the quick and dirty house rules i got for this setting

Premise
After years of space exploration humans have colonized several systems most notablly the Alpha Draconis a high-value mining system. it consists of a single star system with two planets (Tiamat (venus like planet with 9 moons) & Bahamut (jupiter size planet with 18 moons with 6 of them prime canidates for terraforming) with multiple moons. With the use of terra-forming technology we have colonized several moons orbiting Bahamut and are currently setting up mining ops on Tiamats moons.

Here are some of the "rules" i am using

Energy Shields (This is a pulpy style setting so energy shields work in the following) Shields provide "cover" for a 180 degree arc covering the front of the target. They work vs balistic & energy (explosive kinetic force bypasses the shields matrix) they come in 3 types
Lite: +2
Standard: +3
Hi-Impact: +4

Armor can be worn under neath the shield but the shield toughness is hit first.

If a target is hit for damage and the damage is equal to or over the shield modified toughness the shield goes down. takes 3 rounds to recharge

Weapons
Using a generic weapon system
there are 5 types of weapons
pistol, smg, shotgun, rifle, sniper, launchers
with 3 classes each
small, medium, large

Races:
Humans: In our travels we have not encountered intelligent races though we have found evidence that they existed several ruins exist on Tiamat's moons and there is abundant alien flora and fauna on bahamut's moons.
At character creation a player may opt to sacrifice their free edge for a bit of genetic engineering (you can either have one +2 ability or two +1 abilities)

Edges:
the only real change is that i have removed miracles and associated edges.

Psionics is available as is weird science but is called quantum holography and the gizmos are apps on a powerful wearable computer system.

I have yet to compile a full weapons & armor list nor have i developed the planets other then thier basic name and how many moons.

Let me know what you think

I will release a more solid look at this setting when i get the chance

My online art portfolio
http://paintedsamurai.deviantart.com/

Black Stag Publishing
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Stag-Publishing/223736847644167?sk=wall
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound like it would have this, but will there be a crazy random special weapon generator that simulates Borderlands? I would have fun just rolling on a bunch of tables to see what kind of weapon was created.
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might do shields a little differently. I would do shields using a die as a saving throw BEFORE damage is assigned, with no wild die. Each die would represent a level of shield strength. For example:

D4= weak sauce
D6= average
D8= good
D10= strong
D12= unyielding

I would not increase toughness at all, but allow armor and such to be worn with shields. Every success on a shield roll would soak a wound, and I would let shield rolls ace. HOWEVER, if you roll a 1 on a shield roll, your shield would fail, and you have to roll the identical die type to determine how many successes on a repair roll it would take to get it up and running again.

I use this for spacecraft too...
OSIAdept
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big fan of the free soak, though it would lend to high-adventure high-action feel for the setting.

My online art portfolio

Black Stag Publishing
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An option for the shield soaking would be to have them degrade. IF at least one wound gets past then the shield soak die is also reduced by one. So a d10 shield drops to d8. The easiest way to track this is to have a die sitting out for each shield so you can roll it. The reason for the free soak is that it is the purpose of a shield. Armor is for directly affecting toughness.

To be evil is to live backwards
wheatiess
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been thinking about this a bit over the last few days and have had a few key ideas

first i would like to say borderland has fifty levels and room to move with its numbers. savage worlds does not. very little of what i am saying may scale very well as it is more thoughts and making the system feel like borderlands then creating a balanced or even simple conversion

shields

it would change the feel of savage worlds a bit but it would feel more like borderlands if the shields acted like another set of wounds.

sheilds have characteristics
capacity > wounds and toughness, from 1 to 5 wounds and T of 4 to 12
regen rate > shield auto healing roll die size from 4 to 12
delay > if shield fully depleted, number of rounds till it starts regen

so you could have a capacity 3/6 regen 6/3 shield
so the shield has 3 wounds and toughness 6 and is damaged like any wildcard (ignoring shaken or all shield have the hardy trait)
while the shield is active and damaged it will roll its regen die of 6 each turn like natural healing with success and raises restoring wounds.
if a shield is completly depleted it will take 3 full rounds before it can roll its regen die

so a cap 5/10 reg 4/4 sheild would be hard to destroy but once it went down it would take ages to get back to full strength
or a cap 1/4 reg 12/1 shield would be like paper but come back on nearly all the time after one round

then you would have to options like
turtle: really strong but reduces character toughness
nova : lets out a burst in a X size template when depleted
spike: melee attackers take damage
healing: grants a dX healing ability each round
absorb: hits on shield add ammo to charater
and so on

shotguns
shot guns do x-X dY damage(in english please)
to reflect the multi shots of shotguns in borderlands have them do multipul shots with longer ranges reducing the number of shots
so a 3-5d10 shot gun at short range would have 5 shots each doing 1d10 damage while at medium it would have 4 and long only 3
so a player could decide between a 4-6d4shotty and a 1-3d10
the d4 is more likely to hit as it has more pellets and more likly to raise but d10 is a lot more damage

elements
no guns have ap just base damage. thus ap is special
fire for flesh : will set targets on fire so the burn each round
shock for shields: grants ap verse sheilds only
acid for armour: grants ap verse armour only
explosive for area/damage....? not to sure raises have area effect
slag for marking: tagets take +X damage from other sources after slagged

balancing all the weapons
pistols. ammo is cheap so they can do a little less damage
smgs. ammo price standard
riflles. ammo more expensive so can have a little more range
shotty. is it own style of weapon
sniper. low fire rates and capacity even more expensive ammo
luancher. it own style of weapon

weapon characteristics
damage: pretty easy 2d4 to 3d20+10(3d20+10 bit of a joke but,,,,)
acuracy: combination of range and attack bonus/penalty
fire rate: get rid of double dap and 3rb and have fire rate of 1 to 5 or more
reload speed: reload would be an action or full round or more for some
mag size: keep it simple 2,4,5,6,8,10,15,20,30,....,200

will look into classes and edges later getting tierd and starting to ramble
Blackhawk
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clash957 wrote:
It doesn't sound like it would have this, but will there be a crazy random special weapon generator that simulates Borderlands? I would have fun just rolling on a bunch of tables to see what kind of weapon was created.

Sure. Roll 1dGazillion and check table 3b.
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheatiess wrote:

shields

it would change the feel of savage worlds a bit but it would feel more like borderlands if the shields acted like another set of wounds.

sheilds have characteristics
capacity > wounds and toughness, from 1 to 5 wounds and T of 4 to 12
regen rate > shield auto healing roll die size from 4 to 12
delay > if shield fully depleted, number of rounds till it starts regen

so you could have a capacity 3/6 regen 6/3 shield
so the shield has 3 wounds and toughness 6 and is damaged like any wildcard (ignoring shaken or all shield have the hardy trait)
while the shield is active and damaged it will roll its regen die of 6 each turn like natural healing with success and raises restoring wounds.
if a shield is completly depleted it will take 3 full rounds before it can roll its regen die

so a cap 5/10 reg 4/4 sheild would be hard to destroy but once it went down it would take ages to get back to full strength
or a cap 1/4 reg 12/1 shield would be like paper but come back on nearly all the time after one round

then you would have to options like
turtle: really strong but reduces character toughness
nova : lets out a burst in a X size template when depleted
spike: melee attackers take damage
healing: grants a dX healing ability each round
absorb: hits on shield add ammo to charater
and so on

Yes, that does appear to replicate the Borderlands shields. It makes it somewhat more complicated, but a lot of enemies do not have shields. For Healing I would just give a flat regeneration as rolling a die each turn is tedious.

I do like how the shield has its own tougness. It was kind of odd when I was using the normal toughness. Granted, it wouks rather well that way, though as there was less to remember to track.

wheatiess
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you say a flat rate for healing(regen on shields) what do you mean
heals one wound per turn for normal
two for fast
every other turn for slow ...

this would reflect the chance of the dice but remove the randomness
the player would still have to track their shield points but may speed it up a little

and another point on sheilds
damage does not carry over to wounds
so if you did 50 damage to a weak shield it would be depleted but would do nothing to actual wounds

but hunter class would get bypass as an edge
on a raise damge straight to health
wheatiess
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classes

bezerker
gets tough and does high melee damage
so gets two fisted and ambidex and bezerk with added toughness

gunzerker
only class that can dual weild
so gets two fisted and ambidex and rock and roll with added toughness

hunter
release pet bird
auto hit attack with no line of sight needed

assasin
goes invisible and does more damge with a hologram
goes invisible and gets the drop on first attack

commando
drop turrets

siren phase lock
entangle power and enemies take more damge

siren phasewalk
invisible and blast wave on exit

all would have a simple cool down measured in turns
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I meant to have a defined rate instead of rolling. Sure, rolling is fun but rolling for everything under the sun is tedious and not fun. The shield has a given recharge rate. Having to roll at it silly. That same logic applies to rate of regeneration (in the case of a healing shield).

How I would do this is by the use of poker chips. My group uses the Savage Worlds token set from Lyco. I also have acquired other game pieces and poker chips. For shield rating (how many wounds it can take) I would give the player that many poker chips. They toss them into the pile as they are damaged, and they can get them back at the start of each turn as they are recharged. The oppiosite would be for Wound levels, tossing them back into the pile as they are healed at the start of the turn. For simple math I suggest one per turn at mininun (so you don't have to track every other turn). But if you like keeping track you can.

I would still have anything that got past the shield do damage. It is like trying to hold back a flood with an umbrella. Sure it does great against rain up to a certain point, but it has its limits. The umnbrella would not prevent the onslought even if it tried its best until destroyed. So if you take 50 damage and the shield takes away some of the wound points, great! Which leads me to the next part.

The problem with the shield having its own Toughness ratin is that it doesn't play nice with leftover damage. This is part of why in ny own shield rules I use the normnal tougness. It is kind of handwaved as a tougher guy gets more out of his shield. Perhaps it just absorbs so much of the force and his toughness and armor make up the difference. It seems kind of backwards but in play it actually has seemed to work for me.

How about you try out a few battles on your own with different ideas and see how ut actyally plays out. Savage Worlds is odd in that it plays differently than how it looks on paper.

OSIAdept
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great ideas on all of it.

The main reason i choose this particular shield system is i wanted to keep it fff. shields are either up or down. I also want to keep book keeping for me and the players to a minimum

For a more gritty version i might use my Electro-Kinetic Fortification rules i made for my system crash setting.

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35749&highlight=ekf

Also i am not going for a replica of borderlands, i am going for that high-octane space-punk western "feel/flavor".

So no classes or overly complicated mechanics

My online art portfolio

Black Stag Publishing
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way could work fine and be playable.

A lot of people claim that system doesn't matter. In many cases that is true to an extent, as in that theroetically any system could be fun. However in my experience it makes a world of difference in regards to genre and book-keeping. I have tons of dice and game pieces that I can use to simplify my book-keeping, so just because something works for my group doesn't mean that it will work for another.

For example, I can easily set aside dice to track the shield's Soak die and I have plenty of poker chips and whatnot to use for Power Points and shield points and bennies, and so on. I actually have a decent sized tackle box to hold most of my pieces for Savage Worlds (the poker chips are not in it, nor my mountain of dice).

OSIAdept
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree different styles of playing/running.

For me no minis our group tends to play it loose with ranges. I either state that the enemy is either in short, medium, or long ranges.

My online art portfolio

Black Stag Publishing
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same for ranges when we play...
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackhawk wrote:
]Sure. Roll 1dGazillion and check table 3b.

I found table 3b easy enough, but the d10x8643 right? Is that the big red die the size of a beach ball?

I was going to write out all the zeros, but it comes out to like 60 vertical screen of digits. If you want to see a gazillion written out, here: http://gregology.net/reference/gazillion/

OSIAdept, sorry for the interruption.
OSIAdept
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also going to use a simple ammo and weapon system based off borderlands concept

Ammo is universal among its particular weapon group.
Pistol
SMG
Shotgun
Rifle
Sniper
Launcher

So no need to figure out is this rifle ammo is going to fit my other riffle.

Balistic and energy Weapons will also be in categories of

light
medium
Hi-Power

My online art portfolio

Black Stag Publishing
drcheckmate
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread Necro!

I took the art out of my Borderlands 1 and 2 for Xbox cases and slid them in my Screen. Looks great. The point of that being, I've had "Savage Borderlands" on the brain, too.

What I want to do is run a more "inspired by" sort of game; this thread is great. I was thinking for most of my rules I would just mash up Triple Ace's Daring Tales of the Sprawl and Space Lanes. I want more cyberpunk and less energy shields.

But, if anyone has gone further with random weapon rules, or special features for weapons, or even a customization system similar to the one for the guns of Bioshock, I would love to see what you've got.

I think if I was going to do Borderlands Shields I would do ablative toughness, a recharge rate, and a delay. I don't know as I would want to include all the special features of shields in the games.

I'm tempted to ask about other Borderlands elements, but I don't want to thread jack the OP Embarassed
OSIAdept
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the ideas i was tweaking for random weapons was this.

there are 5 types with 3 subtypes lite, medium, hi-powered
pistols
smgs
shot guns
rifles
launchers

roll a d10 the increments are broken into the following
pistols 1-2
smgs 3-4
shotguns 5-6
rifles 7-8
launchers 9-10

then roll a d6 to figure out the subtype using the same method

Elemental damage was not a random element in my setting so i use it as an ammo upgrade that could be purchased

My online art portfolio

Black Stag Publishing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: