Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comparison of the various virtual tabletops?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirkerry
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Comparison of the various virtual tabletops? Reply with quote

Anyone know of a good comparison of all of various virtual tabletops out there that can be used to play Savage Worlds with?
Prepping: several different scenarios
Playing: New Year's War Playtest
booga
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take a lok here: http://rpgvirtualtabletop.wikidot.com/vt-comparison-chart

In my experience teh two best ones to play SW with are Fantasy Ground II and Maptool. Maptool is free but has a higher learning curve, and FGII is prettier but is not free (every player has to pay for a license, or the GM has to shell for an ultimate license and all his players then play for tree). A SW ruleset exists for each VTT (same thing, FGII's not free), and they both work great in my experience.[/url]
semifamous
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of Tabletop Forge, the G+ Hangout plugin/extension.
booga
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience wasn't great with Forge, but that was a few months ago and I'm sure they kept improving it.

Another good one I forgot to mention was roll20. It's still fairly new, but is very very promising (very stable in my experience, and it's got card decks). For Forge and Roll20 are system-agnostic, so there won't be a SW ruleset to automate things like in FGII or Maptool, but they are valid options nevertheless.
dstuffle
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantasy Grounds 2 has great support for Savage Worlds and their settings.

Downside is the start up cost is significant. You ether need an Ultimate License (for the GM, players can then play with the trial version) or the GM needs a Full License and all the players need a Lite License to play.

The upside is that it doesn't take you months of XML coding to enter the Savage world's core information / setting info (for the ones availible) yourself.
GamerDude
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

booga wrote:
You can take a lok here: http://rpgvirtualtabletop.wikidot.com/vt-comparison-chart
If I may comment, this table listed as a "Work In Progress" but for as long as it has been "in progress" is woefully incomplete. In particular Fantasy Grounds, iTabletop, and MapTool (I own them all) have many of their features missing screen shots.

jcayer
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot is based on what you want. I use Maptools, but strictly for maps. A lot of the time, we don't even use the grid. Just a basic map to give everyone a starting point. There is a SW framework for Maptools that will handle just about all the mechanics: http://rptroll.blogspot.be/p/savage-worlds-framework-for-maptool.html

I've tried TableTop Forge through Google hangouts, as that is how our remote guys connect, and found it lacking. That was a few months ago. It does have a lot of promise.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't ever used Fantasy Grounds, but from what I've been able to discern from the website there isn't a map editor/creation tools, which would be a killer for me. The cost would also be a deterrent for me as well, as I don't run games online nearly enough to justify spending $150 on any VTT and then extra $ for the specific SW setting templates.

I use MapTool and I'm quite happy with it. I'll echo that there's a learning curve to overcome with it and it has a few kludges/rough edges. Actually, I'm not so sure if it's the tool itself or the Savage Worlds framework that are are the source of those rough spots. All can be worked around with some perseverance, just expect to have an hour or 2 of frustration when you're new to it.

The best thing about MapTool is that it has some nice map creation tools and I've actually used its screenshot saving feature to make maps for printing and tabletop play. Unfortunately it only outputs in 72 dpi, but it works well enough for a quick map. There's also a heap of tiles, objects and textures available for it that you can find links to in the the rptools.net forums.
Bhoritz
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semifamous wrote:
I'm a big fan of Tabletop Forge, the G+ Hangout plugin/extension.

I think it has been abandoned and the developers have joined Roll20
Krimson
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more inclined to pay for Roll20 if they had a one time licence fee instead of yearly. Still, it is an excellent platform and not even bad for Play by Post if you're like me and work an irregular schedule which hinders regular games.

I do have a GM licence for d20Pro and the Lifetime Master of the Universe licence for iTabletop. Though I really need to learn to use them better. Apparently someone made a tool to integrate Google Maps into d20Pro so I need to check that out, and I'm not overly impressed with iTabletop at the moment, but invested in a recent Indigogo (where I got my licence for much less than the regular cost) and have hopes the platform will improve. In both cases, I would love to see Google+ Hangouts integration like Roll20 is using.
jcayer
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roll20 looks impressive. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm going to have to give it a serious look as a replacement for our Google Hangouts solution.

I haven't delved in yet, but it looks like it combines a slightly simplified maptools with video chat.
Krimson
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcayer wrote:
Roll20 looks impressive. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm going to have to give it a serious look as a replacement for our Google Hangouts solution.

I haven't delved in yet, but it looks like it combines a slightly simplified maptools with video chat.

It integrates right into Google Hangouts. You can either launch your campaign from the site or in a Hangout so you're not replacing anything, you're just adding tools.
dstuffle
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GamerDude wrote:
booga wrote:
If I may comment, this table listed as a "Work In Progress" but for as long as it has been "in progress" is woefully incomplete. In particular Fantasy Grounds, iTabletop, and MapTool (I own them all) have many of their features missing screen shots.

I noticed that the chart doesn't point out that FG2 has a combat turn tracking system. If you buy the Savage Worlds ruleset, it even uses playing cards, incorporates Level headed & improved level headed.

The SW ruleset for FG2 also provides in game documentation for all the skills (one click rolling for skill checks), edges and hindrances (can be dragged and dropped on you character sheet). Alot of SW settings have the documents availble for perchase.

Bennies (and fate chips for Deadlands setting) are supported in game. There's a chase window to help with chases.

You don't appreciate shareable in game documentation that you can buy, until you try to enter a whole RPG book's worth of text into a VT software. And drag and drop addition to character sheets saves hours of typing.
GhengisRexx
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: +1 for Roll 20 Reply with quote

I just ran my first game with Roll20 and it worked very well. The system is easy to pick up, and pretty intuitive. (I have played around with map tools in the past, but never run a game using it.)

My group had one session to create characters, and just push tokens around a tavern map to learn the ins and outs of Roll20, and by the end everyone seemed to get it. Before we played, I put wild die macros on the toolbar, and most of e players put important character attributes and skills in a journal entry, (and some put roll macros there as well.) I also esed token tool for some of my monsters and npcs.

Overall the adventure went very smoothly, and the vtt never really seemed to intrude on the game experience. For o zero cost, no learning curve option, Roll20 hit our sweet spot.
The Angle
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone yet built a VT that's optimized for iOS or Android tablets? Seems like such a natural ... . Anything that runs in-browser should work, but that's not always the case, especially if Flash is involved.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: