Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Storyweaver] High-Space BETA - Character Analects
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do the High-Space CHARACTER rules feel like a natural extension on Savage Worlds?
Yeah!!
81%
 81%  [ 13 ]
No way!
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

Story Weaver
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: [Storyweaver] High-Space BETA - Character Analects Reply with quote

Hi all,

and thanks to those who have already been spreading the good word : )

Storyweaver is pleased to let you all know about the Beta release of High-Space, our savage new-space-opera rules and setting.

We are kicking off High-Space with the Character Analects and the Fleet Manual, for final-tuning before we release the setting book The Lantern.

Anyone who buys the Beta will get a /big/ discount of the final complete bundle - that works out as two rule books plus one setting book for a total of $10!! We really want to get you on board...

In the words of Fatboy Slim, check it out now: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/104765/High-Space-Core-Rules-Beta?manufacturers_id=2933

If you have bought the Beta, and have comments and suggestions for the CHARACTER ANALECTS we would love to hear them on this forum...
jscifert
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Errata and Clean Up questions Reply with quote

Hello! I have not seen an errata/clean up thread yet, so thought I would post here! Liking the rules so far!

So far, I have found the following errata/errors and things needing fixing in the Character Analects book Smile

1. Inconsistent capitalization of the words Edge(s) and Hindrance(s) - they should always be capitalized when referring to the SW mechanics. Even the back cover needs checking.

2. Under the Water Alien type on page 13, the Racial Edge should be listed as Aquatic, not Water Breather.

3. Under the Beyonder Cultural Edge on page 15, the Survival skill is misspelled as "Survivial".

4. Under the Qualified Background Edge on page 20, it should read "Knowledge (specify)" for consistency with the other similar references

5. On page 12, column 2, sentence 1, it says that "All the Edges in the Savage Worlds Core rules are available in High-Space . . .". However, on page 28 , column 2, sentence 1 contradicts this statement and lists several Edges in the core rules that are not available in High-Space. Clarity is needed.

6. The word"Requirement" is inconsistently bolded in all of the Edges sections throughout and is alternately listed as "Requirement" and "Requirements". Needs t be standardized as the plural and bolded throughout.

7. Under the Well-Balanced Edge on page 29, the Requirements should read "Requirements: Seasoned"; remove the words "or above".

8. Under the Synthetic Hindrances section on page 32, under the Heavy (Minor) Hindrance header, the Requirements and Cost headers should have a space between them for consistency.

9. Under the Synthetic Edges section on page 33, under the Painless Edge header, the Requirements and Cost headers should have a space between them for consistency.

10. There is an extra space between all Glanding & Computer Edges and the "Requirements" line. Eliminate the extra carriage return space for consistency with the earlier Edge listings in the document.

That is what I have found to date! Hope this helps and will do the same for the Fleet manual when I get a chance to review.
Story Weaver
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks jscifert! Do you charge by the hour for proof-reading, or are you just a nice person : )

Aside from making High-Space a better product, this will also help us achieve compatibility with the Wild Card Creator (WCC) that has just kickstarted.

We have been talking with Will Herrmann, the originator of the WCC, to make sure that both High-Space an HAEL can be imported into his program. Looking good so far...
jscifert
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story Weaver wrote:
Wow! Thanks jscifert! Do you charge by the hour for proof-reading, or are you just a nice person : )

Actually, I am one of the editors at Reality Blurs, responsible for the Fantasy Craft line as well as many of the Savage Worlds products as well. So I actually do indeed do this as a side job with such a terrific company because I love gaming and Savage Worlds Smile

Just glad to help you put out a higher quality product because that helps all of the Savage Community!
mac40k
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jscifert wrote:
Story Weaver wrote:

Actually, I am one of the editors at Reality Blurs, responsible for the Fantasy Craft line as well as many of the Savage Worlds products as well. So I actually do indeed do this as a side job with such a terrific company because I love gaming and Savage Worlds Smile

Just glad to help you put out a higher quality product because that helps all of the Savage Community!

And this is one of the reasons that I dearly love the Savage Worlds community.
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought the set and they feel quite great Smile There's a few comments/questions I have:

There's background edges giving +2 fighting or +2 shooting. This is something that was warned when designing own edges in the core book, and they are definitely much more powerful than standard edges. Is there some reason for this powerful combat features? In addition, in comparison there's a background edge giving +2 charisma, something you can obtain by several other edges, and feels a way inferior choice.

The whole concept of background edges this way (when there's also Savage World's own background edges available which can still be bought separately) can be confusing. Btw, is it so that both aliens and humans get cultural and background edges, and humans don't get their bonus edge (understandable as there's already a free background edge)?

Shaper & Maker - modelling, gaming & a lot of other stuff
Story Weaver
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean,

that's the second comment about the power of the +2 bonus, so I will give it a serious rethink. It probably reflects the house-rules I have gamed with before... but we don't play combat heavy at home so I may have missed the significance of this...

Your comment on Background Edges reflects similar comments I got when HAEL came out... one or two negative, but no positives... I am still in two minds about this - for one thing I think it adds 'flavour' to a character and is (like Hindrances) another quick way to add depth and character. The other point is that it is a distinguishing feature of the games I write. Will have to think more about whether I keep going with this strategy...
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story Weaver wrote:

Your comment on Background Edges reflects similar comments I got when HAEL came out... one or two negative, but no positives... I am still in two minds about this - for one thing I think it adds 'flavour' to a character and is (like Hindrances) another quick way to add depth and character. The other point is that it is a distinguishing feature of the games I write. Will have to think more about whether I keep going with this strategy...

How about just using term "Background", not "Background edge"? As a concept I like this feature. Alternatively, "Career edge" could fit.

steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the aliens get a cultural edge too?

There doesn't seem to be anything to say they don't but it does leave aliens with an advantage over humans. If the alien racial packages were adjusted to have a net value of 0 this would adress this issue.

Then give all characters a cultural package (I think using package rather than edge would help reduce confusion).

Are the new Background edges available after play starts? I agre with a previous poster who said they were more like Professional edges. (And can you stack Explorer +2 Piloting with Ace +2 Piloting?)

Perhaps you could follow on from your cultural packages with career packages of a few skills and an edge. For explorer maybe Piloting, Astro-navigation, Survival d6, Ace edge.

Then the player chooses the last few skills and customises the character with hindrances and edges.

I could see this being a pretty FFF way to generate a character.
Rophan
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had complained about some character generation issues for HAEL (although I love the setting!) but I really like the idea of the Cultural Edges and what you call Background Edges, however I do think the term "Background Edge" is potentially confusing. If the name of the category were changed I would have no complaints here.

One other thing I'm not sure if I understand properly or not, is that for the alien races in character generation you say that players need to buy their racial hindrances and edges. Does this mean that they have to use their starting character points to purchase these (thus affecting their starting limit of Hindrances, Edges and skill points) or that they simply must accept them to play that race? This was also an issue I had with HAEL, but perhaps it was just a misunderstanding on my part.

Bruce

“Fantasy remains a human right: we make in our measure and in our derivative mode, because we are made: and not only made, but made in the image and likeness of a Maker."
— J.R.R. Tolkien (On Fairy-Stories)
Hellfire6A
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a start...it remains to be seen if it is a good start or not. I have been wanting a hardish scifi setting for awhile. This could fit the bill...with work.

First you need to define these rules as post-scarcity economics. Otherwise, there is a major disconnect with the tech and economic factors. If you do that you will need to spend a few lines explaining how this setting is post-scarcity. Or you could go the Traveller route and start defining Tech Levels and scaling between tech levels.

As to the rules and changes that I see on first read.

Examples!!!! SWD uses Buck Savage and Virginia Dare. I would follow that example if possible. Especially when using rules different from the standard. XS+ combat, acquisition of goods etc.

What is the mechanism for acquisition of gear? Are there wealth/rank rolls? Is there a limit of gear a PC can have?

Equilibrium feels like an addition just for the sake of addition especially when it is tied to arbitrary dice at rank levels. A person's capacity to handle shocks and keep fighting is the Spirit trait. If you want to have an Equilibrium trait base it on Spirit. Make it like parry or toughness. Half Spirit +2. If you want ranks/experience to make a difference add +1 to the Equilibrium at each rank similar to Deadlands Reloaded. That way edges from SWD (like Brave) translate readily.

XS+ combat...wow, what a great idea. Now bring it to completion. More vehicles. Give us a generic way to build vehicles similar to the SciFi toolkit (for standardization to prevent power gaming and to help the GM make his own). We also need an example with picture if possible. This is a very different system than any in SW so make it clear and pictures are worth a thousand words! How do XS+ vehicles mesh with regular vehicle rules. When fighting at slower speeds what effects do their weapons have on other vehicles or characters?

Microvisor gives the benefit of negating 2 points of cover modifiers? Cover and concealment are different things. Cover is actual hard cover that protects against direct fire. Unless you are positing that the visor is a HUD that creates a weapon/user interface allowing for indirect fire with normal direct fire weapons this won't work. You might just list it as a targeting system with improved optics and computing power then just give it a generic +2 to hit. Or if it really does negate 2 points of cover modifier you might want to come up with some system that includes the armor value of the cover into the target's toughness.

Field-axe notes say +1 Parry -1...not really sure what that means.

Body Armor +1 to Strength, Agility and Vigor and related skills for each mark of armor. At MkIII that is pretty hefty! For encumbrance I'd recommend it giving a die type step for each level (+1 STR per mark). Do the Agility and Vigor increases also improve parry and toughness? Using standard SW rounding that means an increase of +1 parry and toughness for Mk II and Mk III suits? I'd recommend creating a suit builder like XS+ craft.

Under Glanding there is no technical description of the way the glands work. Based on the blurb, I'd assume that activating the glands are a free action? Duration of the hormone? One scene long? Or for a period of time similar to powers?

Under to weapon templates I have a few questions. Specifically under the SNRG weapons notes there is the letters HE (siz of some sort). Does that mean area of effect and the burst template size. In the write up I didn't see a reference to Soft Energy Weapons having an area effect. Do they deviate?

Are there grenades in the future? Grenade Launchers?

I get the feeling that the Character Analects are supposed to address a need for generic rules for SciFi in SW. If so there needs to be generic gear builders or a larger array of gear presented. Space is vast...your equipment list, less so.

I am really befuddled by the computer section. There is a marvelous description of how computers work in the future, but no real description of how they work in the game. Computers have edges for Expert systems, but how do they have skills to work the systems to start with? Is it assumed that a computer has skills at it's die type? There are some examples of how to take control of computers. But no example of what computers do in the game. Look at Interface Zero and Daring Tales of the Space Lanes for ideas (just make sure you get permission Razz).

Figure out what you want this book to do. I don't know what Lantern is going to be like obviously. But what we have so far is Character generation and Fleet stuff. Are you thinking a bunch of small books like Traveller? That means you have a lot more work to do. You are going to have to come up with planet/government generators. Tech levels and how they rub shoulders with each other. And a whole lot more.

Do you want to make GMs do all that work for themselves and limit High Space to The Lantern setting? If so you have a lot less work and I would recommend just combining everything into one book.

Slipstream leaves a lot of things vague, but it is clear about this from the outset. GMs are told they have to figure out a lot of stuff and are on their own. They are also given several really great generators as well to make their job easier.

Love the art. It is very evocative. I'd recommend some pics of the gear and of the XS+ vehicles. Emphasize the things that make these rules distinctive. Make sure to refer the readers back to SW when necessary. Don't reinvent the wheel.

It's a start.

PS not a big fan of cutting the skills to just 12 during character creation. Even with Background and Cultural edges. Players can write their own backgrounds etc. Do you want these edges to define the characters? You could just call them Background and Culture. Then give a generic bonus in situations that match their backgrounds and culture on common knowledge rolls for procedures and etiquette. That way you don't take away a player's ability to design his character, but you are giving them a distinctive yet reasonable edge in those situations.

And languages! Do players really have to burn 2 of their 12 skill points to be considered fluent in their own tongue? In a star spanning game the Universal Translating Babel fish is your friend! I'd recommend doing languages like Slipsteam.

None are free until all are free!
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire6A wrote:
PS not a big fan of cutting the skills to just 12 during character creation. Even with Background and Cultural edges. Players can write their own backgrounds etc. Do you want these edges to define the characters? You could just call them Background and Culture. Then give a generic bonus in situations that match their backgrounds and culture on common knowledge rolls for procedures and etiquette. That way you don't take away a player's ability to design his character, but you are giving them a distinctive yet reasonable edge in those situations.

And languages! Do players really have to burn 2 of their 12 skill points to be considered fluent in their own tongue? In a star spanning game the Universal Translating Babel fish is your friend! I'd recommend doing languages like Slipsteam.

This is something I don't agree with. I could even suggest transferring more skill points for the background... If a players wants his character to have specified kind of culture, he'll want those skills. A player doing a character quickly might forget some essential culture-related skill and this helps to shape the image of the culture in the player's mind.

Languages... while I think they have a place, they are often left on the background in the game. I think some settings use hobby skills, which clearly has it's use - languages (as well as local area knowledge, if not the campaign's main area) could be part of such secondary skill group.

Hellfire6A
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean-Khan wrote:
This is something I don't agree with. I could even suggest transferring more skill points for the background... If a players wants his character to have specified kind of culture, he'll want those skills. A player doing a character quickly might forget some essential culture-related skill and this helps to shape the image of the culture in the player's mind.

Languages... while I think they have a place, they are often left on the background in the game. I think some settings use hobby skills, which clearly has it's use - languages (as well as local area knowledge, if not the campaign's main area) could be part of such secondary skill group.

You just made my point. See your bolded statement above. Background and Culture expenditures should be choices made by the player. They should not be forced to spend those points. 15 skill points to start is such a small amount. Then cut that amount to force a player to buy skills he may not want seems arbitrary. I would be more worried about forgetting an important skill like Notice!

Languages are part of the scenery in this game. I go back to what I said earlier. Unless you are playing a diplomatic game it is unfair to levy a skill point tax on characters just so they can speak their own language. Maybe they aren't being charged a skill point to learn their own language if the language rules from SWD are being used but this is unclear. Besides I say again that should be a choice made by the players not an arbitrary decision by the setting designer. What if languages don't play a big part in the game? You have just forced a player to choose a skill they may never use!

None are free until all are free!
herrozerro
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under Synthetics on page 32. It says that artificial lifeforms must take the metal body hindrance. does it mean the unreal body hindrance?
Story Weaver
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey herozerro,

That section was calling out how 'metal-based lifeforms' are different to Synthetics (which mimic organic lifeforms).

What it should actually say is "Metal Body Hindrance".

In light of this confusion I've tagged it for clean-up for the final release. I also don't way to go too far away from the "Contruct" creature feature in the core rules...
herrozerro
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i mean, where is this hindrance? Im not finding it in SWD or Highspace.
Story Weaver
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Ah'... I mean 'bizarre'... it should be on page 35:

Metal body (Major)
herrozerro
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 35 appears to be glanding and drugs... A weird place to put it Razz
herrozerro
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any more news on this?
booga
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that High-Space 1.0 is available on DTRPG ! I also see that people that previously purchased the beta should get an email that will allow to upgrade to the 1.0 for 5$. Have you already sent this email (so far I have received none) ?

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/0/Name-Not-Found?products_id=109425&src=sub

I also see you you released a 30+ page intro adventure that's very nicely priced:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/109017/Blind-Threat?src=s_pi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: