Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Battletech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theorel
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to post as a lurker...
I'm hoping to run a Battletech game starting probably next school-year (when my little brother starts college).
Anyways, this thread inspired me to do so (I had otherwise decided to get beck into Battletech, which I played with my older brother back in the early 90s).

So, I'm planning on using these rules, at least as a basis, to run it. And always look forward to seeing the new developments. I don't have any real input at the moment, just wanted to offer encouragement, and let you know that you have at least one person looking to use the rules in the not-SO-distant future.
Centurion13
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested: the fan-made TRO: 3063 is done. As are the Record Sheets:3063 and sundry other goodies.

Cent13

Last edited by Centurion13 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Centurion13
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The address for download is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?rvjwz4nxzscacrk,2do30rpvgop1p0g,lgih87s3d5i25h3,4rd4slraun2male,mgvpefslpfzkc2e

Go get 'em and have fun. Let me know what you think.

Cent13
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion 13, welcome to the forums.

I'm blown away by the quality of that document, it easily looks as good as any TRO I've seen that's officially published. My only criticism, and it would apply to the officially published TRO's too, is that the critical locations for Jump jets, and sometimes heat sinks, aren't specified. I really like to use Solaris Skunk Works to build 'Mechs that are listed in the TRO's, but it's usually a guessing games as to which internal location the jump jets get placed in. That a minor quibble though and everyone who contributed to that document should be highly praised.

I'm not playing in that era yet in my campaign or my ongoing tournament, but I really look forward to using those 'Mechs when we get to 3063 in either. Wink
Centurion13
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronovan wrote:
My only criticism, and it would apply to the officially published TRO's too, is that the critical locations for Jump jets, and sometimes heat sinks, aren't specified.

Fair enough. That is why we worked so very, very hard on the accompanying Record Sheets:3063. All the locations are right on the appropriate sheet! Eric even specified which heat sinks were internal and which were external - specified total number of armor points and their percentage of total possible armor, as well as the type of armor.

I would like to see how these work out on the table, or wherever you find you can use them.

Cent13
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion13 wrote:
kronovan wrote:
My only criticism, and it would apply to the officially published TRO's too, is that the critical locations for Jump jets, and sometimes heat sinks, aren't specified.

Fair enough. That is why we worked so very, very hard on the accompanying Record Sheets:3063. All the locations are right on the appropriate sheet! Eric even specified which heat sinks were internal and which were external - specified total number of armor points and their percentage of total possible armor, as well as the type of armor.

I would like to see how these work out on the table, or wherever you find you can use them.

Cent13

Ah my bad, I didn't even download the Record sheets just the TRO doc. I can see where my complaint could be justified for officially published TRO as the record sheets cost extra, but hey Record Sheets:3063 are completely free so can't really justify myself there. Wink I'll download the record sheets too and check them out.

I went over the details of the Mercenary 'Mech's, and despite being relatively new to BattleTech I'm fairly certain those would work perfectly fine on a game table. I would kick ass in my tourny with the Nimravus NMR-V4, but that's more to do with us being date restricted to early 3049.
Centurion13
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RS:3063 should download pretty quickly - it is under 15mb. It's almost as big as the company's Phoenix Upgrade from 2007 in terms of page count. The record sheets themselves are the new style, not the old HMP (thought I have a soft spot in my heart for those).

We too have listed all the variants mentioned in the entries, even the ones mentioned in passing (although a few probably did not make it because they were themselves vaporware in-universe).

This RS file is about 2/3rds vehicles and 1/3 BattleMechs. I am kinda proud of it, and so is Bad Syntax (the guy who coded it). It took a LOT of work in a very short period of time (about three months).

You'll notice the disclaimer is different. So is the addition of a Fan-made Stamp. Moreover, each has a faction symbol for the original source as well as for factions that have access to the design in 3063.

We even listed the C-bill values and threw in the BattleForce statistics. As a bonus, at the end is a Master Unit List - just like the big boys use!

Pretty good for free. The only bug left in the RS is a simple one - I did not send the updated art for the Free Worlds League Bengal, so the RS has the old art instead of the new as seen in the TRO proper. Embarassed

Cent13
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered this Faction Assignment and Rarity Tables document the other day. In the words of the author it contains:
Quote:
  • random mech and vehicle assignment tables by faction for 3028, 3039, and 3050
  • a rarity guide
  • Quirks

It's 1 damn impressive document and very useful if you need to quickly roll up a lance for any of the Houses. This is the 8.2 release of it and so far it only covers up to the start of the Clan Wars, but the author hopes to extend it for release 9. Perfect for me because I set my campaign in the Succession Wars era - wish I had thise when I started writing my campaign.
peregry
Seasoned

Location: Manassas, VA, USA, North America, Terra, Inner Sphere, Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, we haven't forgotten this. Life has been crazy for me with lots of changes at work which have cut into my development time.

Anyway, preview of something new coming in the next release:

Savage BattleTech - Revision 12 wrote:

ORIGINS
Characters are created as per normal Savage Worlds with the addition of having the option of selecting an Origin for the character. Origins reflect the culture they are from. Mechanically, origins are the same as a Race as outlined in Savage Worlds, though may contain some further customization options.

Going into great detail concerning every faction and group within the BattleTech setting is well outside the scope of this document; however, the BattleTech Wiki provides an excellent overview. Fundamentally though, humanity can be divided into three main regions: the Inner Sphere, the Periphery and the Clans. Within the Inner Sphere, the cultures can vary wildly from Successor State to Successor State, but the quality of life is generally highest and human civilization the most settled. The Periphery is the frontier of human space, the settled states fewer and pirates roam the space ways raiding colonies with near impunity. Finally the Clans are an almost alien warrior culture founded by the long lost Star League Defense Force after they left the Inner Sphere at the beginning of the Succession Wars, and while very similar at first glance, posses many differences between each Clan.

All characters in Savage BattleTech are human; there are no aliens, only a massive diaspora of humanity. While some cultures seem completely alien to one another, at the end of the day, humans are humans. As such all characters gain a free Novice Edge of their choice, and then gain the additional effects of their origin.

INNER SPHERE
The cradle of human civilization, centered, literally, on our homeworld: Earth, the Inner Sphere is where the vast majority of humanity lives, divided into the five Great Houses, and a handful of smaller states, these Successor States vie to reestablish the Star League with their head as the new Star Lord.

Origins
Capellan Confederation
Citizens of the Capellan Confederation, a totalitarian state with the trappings of ancient Imperial China, are taught from birth to live their lives for the greater glory of the State and Chancellor. This leads to a fanatical devotion within the population, but a heavily oppressive society.

For the Greater Good: The Capellan obsession with family, the State and honorable living is driven into everyone from birth, giving most from the Confederation the hindrance Code of Honor and the Minor Hindrance of Vow: Serve the Chancellor.

Trapping of Ancient China: Modeled on Ancient China, the Confederation encourages the practice of Martial Arts for all people within its borders, granting them a d6 in Fighting and the Martial Artist edge.

Draconis Combine
Archenemies of the Federated Suns, proud samurai of the stars, the Draconis Combine is a heavily feudalistic society founded on the ideals of ancient feudal Japan. Ruled by the Coordinator, the Combine is one of the most powerful Successor States, and sees itself as the proper heir to the Star League.

The Code of Bushido: All members of the Draconis Combine are ruled by the complex honor code of ancient Japan, and so all members of the society are considered to have the hindrance Code of Honor. Further, this obsession with ancient Japanese traditions has lead to widespread practice of martial arts, granting a d6 in Fighting to individuals from the Combine.

Ancient Grudges: The long history of the Combine and obsession with complex honor has ignited more than one blood feud throughout its history. People from the Combine have the minor hindrance Vengeful, though the resolve to keep these grudges and see them through grants members of the Combine the Strong Willed edge.

Mercenary
Though the standing armies of the Great Houses are vast, they often need to supplement their forces with mercenary forces. Some of these mercenary companies have existed for generations and so have their own culture that reflects on generations of being soldiers for hire. There are three main types of Mercenary companies, each with their own way of doing things: Heroes for Hire who seek to right wrong, fight to the last and save the civilians regardless of cost, Soldiers of Fortune who are professional and proper in their contracts, and Ne’er-do-wells who might not be the best money can buy but get the job done, though you may not like how they do it. A character that uses the mercenary origin must choose to be a Hero for Hire, Soldier of Fortune or a Ne’er-do-well.

Action and Adventure: Mercenaries have frequently seen action all across the Inner Sphere and Periphery, and have seen more than most in their time. This has led Heroes for Hire to embrace fighting for the little guy by gaining the Heroic hindrance. Soldiers of Fortune, who know they are the best and were hired because they are the best, gain the Arrogant hindrance. While Ne’er-do-wells often go overboard and gain the Bloodthirsty hindrance. That said, all this action has made them alert for danger, they gain the Danger Sense edge and a d6 in Notice.

Held to a Gold Standard: Mercenaries are held to high standards within the Inner Sphere, and rated according to their actions and performance on contracts. Heroes for Hire embrace this, and gain the Code of Honor hindrance; Soldiers of Fortune generally fulfill the contract, but rarely go out of their way to do so and do so carefully and meticulously, and so gain Cautious and minor hindrance Greedy; however, Ne’er-do-wells only want the gold, gaining the major hindrance Greedy. However, mercenaries are some of the best warriors around, and can choose one skill from the following list to begin play with d6s in: Driving, Fighting, Gunnery, Mech Piloting, Piloting, or Shooting.

This are just a random sampling. We've worked out ones for every major faction in the Inner Sphere, as well as reworked the Clan "races" to fit within this new origin system. Periphery State origins are also being worked out.

The entire document's layout has also been reworked, putting things into an order closer to most gaming supplements. No promises as to when this will be finished though, between Sandy and work, things have been kinda chaotic in these parts.
peregry
Seasoned

Location: Manassas, VA, USA, North America, Terra, Inner Sphere, Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revision 12 is mostly complete. It is not as extensive as originally promised, but the things missed will come.

Expect it out by the end of the day or sometime early Saturday morning...
peregry
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while in forging, but complete enough for release.

Savage BattleTech - Revision 12

Revision 12 features the most significant layout overhaul since Revision 7, and features a complete internal overhaul to present ideas in a more usable and natural order. I would encourage everyone to sit down and read through the rules from page one, while not much has changed as far as Mech Scale goes, the Character section has been heavily overhauled.

Additionally, the Character Origins section is now live for Inner Sphere and Clan origins. Origins for Inner Sphere characters is completely optional, but it is encouraged that people take them, play test them and give feedback. For Clanners though, Origins are not optional (rebuild of Temple incoming ;p), and the Clan Origins have in fact changed. Periphery Origins are to be built and released in Revision 13.

No major changes to Edges, though the Clan Bloodname background Edge has been added.

A massive table expansion has been implemented, most BattleTech tables have been converted to SBT and provided in the document.

Rules for Protomechs have been implemented.

EW section has been completely overhauled using a completely original system.

More Special Equipment has been statted for use in SBT: Active Probes and Mech Stealth Equipment now have official stats.

Battle Armor has been broken out of the Armor section into its own in the equipment section.

Fallen by the wayside for this revision:
The Resource System has proven harder to hammer out than original anticipated, and implementation has been delayed to r13.

The Cybernetics conversion has been delayed until r13 for purposes of time.

Additional equipment conversation has also been delayed.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peregry, I don't know how I missed the release of this earlier this month, but I did. Embarassed

I did a quick read through and it looks excellent. I really like the Design notes and that the house and other factions emblems are now in it. Smile I'll read it through word -for- word this weekend and I'll try to playtest anything new with my group on Sunday.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up for anyone running a campaign with this converesion - or any BattleTech campaign for that matter. CGL has finally started the open beta for the long awaited Interstellar Ops. The 1st PDF for the beta deals with force composition/organization and can be downloaded here .
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, peregry... The TRUE test here...

How about a "Mission Generator"? Based on a deck of cards or dice rolls... either way.
peregry
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll... consider and look into it.

My group tends not to use randomly generated encounters like that, preferring a more crafted game, so we're honestly not all that familiar with them.

But... we'll see.
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe break it down based on the type of lance?

Assault - Recon

I could also see results where the players force is out number, out gunned, or both. War is never balanced by tonnage or points. They have to learn to run... er... I mean retreat in an orderly fashion.
peregry
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my opinion on that is that should be more up to the DM and the campaign they're trying to run than any random table. Wink That said, losses can be a good experience for the group, so long as they don't lose to much hardware (folks can become very attached to the Mechs... I know I hate the thought of losing one...)

Overwelming force should also depend on the campaign opponent. One of the great things about the Clans for a GM, for instance, is that they will only use as much force as they think they need to beat the party. Which means they scale the attacks to the level of the party because of their honor. This makes them an excellent RPG opponent because they would never simply hit with overwhelming force, which could end a game.

Brainstorming now... suite of card = type of lance/star/level 2 (Light/Medium/Heavy/Assault), while number equals quality of the troops and opponent. Might have to make separate charts for different eras. The Joker, if drawn, indicates draw twice more and the extra card drawn represents a third group involved. At least that's one possibility. It might be better to go more granular, with each card drawn being a single mech.

Like I said we'll poke at it and see what we come up with.
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think of it as totally random per say... I would be inclined to look at it as a guide.

For example - If your players are in a recon lance they would have garrison duties, regular patrols, long range patrols, etc...

An Assault Lance would have different missions.

But I could also see things happening, once in a while, where that Recon Lance might come across an incoming enemy Assault Lance.

Call it an "Idea Generator".
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to be aware of, is that there's a random scenario generator in the BattleTech Total Warfare book. It gives the guidelines for creating missions like Hide & Seek, Extractions, Breakthroughs, Chases, etc. Its true that its geared towards 'Mech scale, but I've found with a little imagination you can expand them to include adventuring on the Character scale.

If BattleTech is a new thing for you, as it was for me a year ago, I've created a random MapSheet generation table for GM's that don't have the out of print map sets. It replaces the random MapSheet tables in Total Warfare. However, it does require that you have the maps from the CBT Starter boxset and own all 3 of the new hexpacks. PM me if you're interested in it.
Theorel
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have rules for pilots taking damage in mech-scale? (for falling, head-hits, etc) Or are you using the Battletech rules for it (giving them 5 health and rolling consciousness as normal)? Or do pilots just not take damage?

I looked over the rules and couldn't find anything except the rules for if pilot would be killed make agility roll and place the character behind the mech, either "combat killed" or at 4 wounds.

Also, how are you handling power points for Electronic Warfare stuff? I see costs for the powers, but nowhere to determine how many power points a mech should have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: