Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

setting rules for the incredible sky high campaign [SPC]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andthrax
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: setting rules for the incredible sky high campaign [SPC] Reply with quote

freshmen in high school
young hindrance
second stringers -40%
new power super parents
buy with 1/2(3) of starting power points gives one super parent may buy 2x this is for parents that will bail you out/save you not just be parents

may save power points to use when total is enough
may get power points as rewards (no xp?) until reaches the normal level 10 power points

background
how did you get your powers?
inherited
toxic goo
cosmic radiation
invented
mutation I dont like this one though

the world
are superheroes a liability? just go away
the superhero relocation act is being debated
supers are being supported by the act though
syndrome claimed to be a hero what impact does that have on the rest of the heroes
not decided is there a school for the heroes or are they integrated into a normal school

now are there any other changes or suggestions for this setting?
campaign/adventure ideas would be great because i have never run a game centered around a school or teenagers.
any other comments on how to make this work would be nice too.

this would be my first time using/running SW but i have been a gm in a campaign for a few years now
Pfr_Fate
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stick with the sky high setting only. it is more lighthearted than walking near the Incredibles superhero politics which could get dark into Marvels supers politics. no...supers in SH are liked. The only reason for Sky High is secret identities....which is odd because all the supers know each other... so i guess the only reason for secret IDs is so they can live normal lives the rest of the time .... kinda like celebrities seeking normalacy.

I guess the vital thing is are the players to be 'kids'? Then things outside the school are of little import (much like normal high school). If they are adults then they are teachers who are mainly concerned with Sky High or you should run Incredibles and ignore Sky High.
andthrax
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advise. I was probably trying to put to much into the setting to make a good story.
now i have to decide how i want to run it. like do i need to make anymore rule changes for the setting.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally you don't need to make many rules changes.

For Sky High, it's just a matter of setting the SPC power level options (Minor Leaguers, Second String, etc.), environment options (Street, Baseline, or Cosmic), and power acquisition (Standard Growth, Natural Growth, Full Power, etc.). Minor Leaguers, Baseline Environment, Inherent Power, Knockback, Recurring Roles, Unarmed Defenders, Super Karma, and probably Natural Growth are probably the relevant options - and they can upgrade the power level as the students get older (aiming for Standard or even Heavy Hitters by graduation).

Everything else you might need to change is a Trapping for the character's powers - but that's customized for each character, not worked out before the campaign begins.
TTM
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young is probably not an appropriate hinderance for highschoolers, unless they're 9 year old prodigies or something.
andthrax
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i was planning if the campaign lasted long enough to slowly raise to the level of at least normal by graduation. when i said rule changes i meant trappings of the setting.
after reading young again it does imply that they would be younger than high school age but i will at least let my players take it if they want to. it seems better for the super smarts types in this setting.

now the hardest part is deciding if they are in a school with only supers or are they in a normal school and have to maintain that they are normal while trying to protect the school. the first option is easier to make a more comical game. but that may be a question for the players and the type of game they want to play.

now at least i have some time before i start this game. first i have to find a good stopping place for my shadowrun and make sure my players would want to play this. to me this would be so much fun.

any idea on types of villains or situations good for a high school game?
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A useful resource is the Hero High book by Green Ronin. The stats are all for their Mutants & Masterminds (second edition) system, but the majority of the book is "high-school superheroes and how to get that feel in your RPG", and is very good.
andthrax
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
A useful resource is the Hero High book by Green Ronin. The stats are all for their Mutants & Masterminds (second edition) system, but the majority of the book is "high-school superheroes and how to get that feel in your RPG", and is very good.

with the hero high book i think i have everything that i need. it is a great resource. if i can get my game started i will let you all know
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few month or so ago I repented my evil ways and switched back into Savage Worlds after playing Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition for a while. It handles the super hero genre very well. Since I am liking Savage Worlds better now, I have been wondering how the two systems compare. I have been seriously considering to use my M&N stuf for Savage Worlds.

As a side note. the past several days I have been seriously itching to play Suzerain. I know that it makes a lot of use of Power Points. and the SPC spends those points in a similar fashiom to how Mutants and Masterminds. A lot of the things in Suzerain are geared towards spending the points and recharging your battery. Has anyone made versions of ths SPC powers and made those that are not already powers into powers like SW noemally uses?

To be evil is to live backwards
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My posts in this related thread are highly relevant: http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=365062&highlight=#365062
Especially that first one and this one: http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=365062&=#365137
me wrote:
The SPC has certain hard limits built into some of the powers (Attack, Ranged cannot do more than 5d6 damage; you can't get more than +6d6 damage from Attack, melee; Infect cannot have a bigger penalty than -2; et cetera) but everything stacks.
Want to build the glass cannon of doom? You can do it (d12+4 or more shooting for 5d6 damage and ROF 3), and you can do it under almost all of the campaign options. But those options adjust how expensive it is to maximize certain powers, so that death bolt might cost all of your available points or it might cost a fifth of them.
As I mentioned earlier, the nature of the Savage Worlds rules combined with the potency of the SPC equipment, mean that even un-powered Extras with good equipment and tactics can defeat any single SPC hero. Which is about the power level you get from most of Marvel Comics, and about what you get from half of DC comics.

I hope that helps! Smile

Aside: Suzerain uses Power Points for the usual powers and to fuel a handful of Heroic- (or higher) ranked edges. These uses are not compatible with the Super Powers Companion. The SPC is generally a lot more powerful than other savage settings - transferring things over in a balanced fashion is insanely difficult.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: