Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magically Void

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Magically Void Reply with quote

Ok, board. I am working on a racial trait for a homebrewed setting [called Anno Arcani. More on that later]. Magic is relatively present in the setting, but some people and one entire race cannot access it. So the basic outline is:

Magically Void
This character cannot take any Arcane Background. In addition, if the character possesses a magical item, activation roles are made at a -2.

I am inclined to call this a major flaw. Thoughts?
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be inclined to call it a Major Hindrance. Wink

I'd also be inclined to give the character some "benefit" (kind of how in Deadlands, Grim Servant o' Death is a Major Hindrance but also grants +1 on all damage rolls).

I'd disallow magic item use too, but add that the character with this Hindrance has Arcane Resistance.

Can the character be affected by others' magic (healing, etc.)? Magically "void" makes it sound like the character doesn't exist as far as magic is concerned.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfrost has a Major Hindrance called Magic Forbiddance. It prevents you from using or benefiting from magic items at all, and also blocks you from taking Arcane Background (Magic).

I'd probably treat your Hindrance as a Minor version, as it's just -2 to activate (and many magic items don't even require a roll to activate).
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutter XXIII wrote:
I'd be inclined to call it a Major Hindrance. :wink:

Hindrance, flaw. Tomato /tə'medo/, tomato /tə'mɑdo/.

Quote:
I'd also be inclined to give the character some "benefit" (kind of how in Deadlands, Grim Servant o' Death is a Major Hindrance but also grants +1 on all damage rolls).

I'd disallow magic item use too, but add that the character with this Hindrance has Arcane Resistance.

Can the character be affected by others' magic (healing, etc.)? Magically "void" makes it sound like the character doesn't exist as far as magic is concerned.

Healing magic actually plays no role in the setting. There is no Miracles Arcane Background in the setting, and the idea of healing magic simply isn't there. Thankfully, the setting is equipped with all the marvels of modern medicine. The characters with said hindrance aren't unable to have spells cast on them, they just lack the ability to learn magic themselves and generally don't get along with magical items. But they are not intrinsically immune to magic.

The term "void" more means they lack the capacity to do it themselves. They have no connection to the Weave, or Manna or whatever a caster believes she is accessing when she casts.
cpk666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kythkyn wrote:
The term "void" more means they lack the capacity to do it themselves. They have no connection to the Weave, or Manna or whatever a caster believes she is accessing when she casts.

So they only penalties they receive from this Hindrance are:
1. Unable to take Arcane Background
2. -2 to activate magic items

I'd call that a minor Hindrance. The restriction of not getting an AB isn't really a restriction, since only characters who weren't going to take an AB would take this Hindrance.

CK

"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass."--Cordelia Chase
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wanted it to count as a Major Hindrance, but I honestly would rather not overcomplicate it. So it seems minor is the best way to go.
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the swift replies, guys. Now that that's out of the way, I have the race all nice and crafted!
cpk666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kythkyn wrote:
Thanks for the swift replies, guys. Now that that's out of the way, I have the race all nice and crafted!

You could always go -2 Minor / -4 Major.

CK

"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass."--Cordelia Chase
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpk666 wrote:
Kythkyn wrote:

You could always go -2 Minor / -4 Major.

CK

I actually mostly intended it as a racial trait, not actually a hindrance.
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kythkyn wrote:
I actually mostly intended it as a racial trait, not actually a hindrance.

That changes things in my mind I think. A race that can never take an AB is very different than any ol character taking such a disadvantage. I think I might consider it a -2 Racial hindrance since, depending on the prevalence of magic, it's kind of a big deal.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigerguy786 wrote:
That changes things in my mind I think. A race that can never take an AB is very different than any ol character taking such a disadvantage. I think I might consider it a -2 Racial hindrance since, depending on the prevalence of magic, it's kind of a big deal.

If you want an AB, you obviously won't pick that race, regardless of how the Hindrance is priced. If you don't want an AB, then it makes no difference to you whether you're allowed to take one or not, because you'll be investing your advances into other Edges anyway.

So really I'd tend to ignore that aspect of the Hindrance (for the purposes of pricing), and focus on the penalties.
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial thought was to make it a like Major for the same fact that it seems pretty important and like a very big deal, but in the end I do think that the actual crunch of the mechanic is really only worth -1 race creation point, as mechanically it pretty much is a minor hindrance. That and I already made the race, hehe.
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kythkyn wrote:
Cutter XXIII wrote:
I'd be inclined to call it a Major Hindrance. Wink

One is the system mechanic name, the other is not.

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryonic wrote:
Kythkyn wrote:
Cutter XXIII wrote:
I'd be inclined to call it a Major Hindrance. :wink:

One is the system mechanic name, the other is not.

It was also a joke. But thank you for chiming in on that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: