Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old Pete???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richborges
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Old Pete??? Reply with quote

I was checking out Reaper Miniatures as I often do and came across this...

http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gallery/4/59032_p_1_mj.jpg[img]

Who is Old Pete and why haven't I heard of him? Is he in a recent book? I thought I was reasonably up to date...
Ray
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you've heard of him. You just don't know it.
RJack
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete = Peter = petros (Greek) = rock = take a guess

It's an etymological riddle.
Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go check out Deadlands Classic Devil's Tower #2 - Heart o' Darkness for info on Ol' Pete.
MagusRogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And its such a wonderful riddle too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BrotherFlounder
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, Old Pete is Doctor Doom? I never would have guessed. Mr. Green

But yes, you'll be quite interested when you find out his story.
otherdoc
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very pleased to see that this is one of the new lines of minis. It makes me look forward to what's coming next that much more. Twisted Evil
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that this is a very good sign that Old Pete will be appearing in the next Plot Point Campaign!

#gunbattle

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Gardensnake
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJack wrote:

I remember who Ole Pete is now. I'll say I'm a bit disappointed but not suprised. To me at least, that particular series of adventures and storyline was the point that Deadlands "jumped the shark". I've never liked characters to be that prominent in a setting. I know that many RPG's have prominent storylines and characters, I've just never cared for the idea. I like stories where the characters are only a bit more powerful than the average pc and don't really effect the world much. That way they can add flavor but not have it where the game setting is their world and the pc's are only there to play it it.

William
iskandar
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardensnake wrote:
RJack wrote:

I remember who Ole Pete is now. I'll say I'm a bit disappointed but not suprised. To me at least, that particular series of adventures and storyline was the point that Deadlands "jumped the shark". I've never liked characters to be that prominent in a setting. I know that many RPG's have prominent storylines and characters, I've just never cared for the idea. I like stories where the characters are only a bit more powerful than the average pc and don't really effect the world much. That way they can add flavor but not have it where the game setting is their world and the pc's are only there to play it it.

William

I dunno about "jumping the shark" per se, as Deadlands got a lot better at having the pc do the world changing events later on, like dead presidents and ghost busters. I think the core problem was that, since it segwayed into hell on earth, you needed a bit of a sense of being a tiny speck in the universe. Deadlands is not "lets hunt down the gods for fun" d and d. Its more of a call of cthulu continual struggle against superior evil. So, some of that had to be there. I do agree that it could have been written a bit better to at least allow the players a chance of messing with stone. Also, the annoying mary sue with the uber gun was a bit irritating. I introduced the hell on earth booklet and everything by having her run in and help the posse. However, the second all that information was digested, stone came back and shot her repeatedly, followed by dynamite and then some napalm to really make it clear that she was very, very, very, very dead and was never coming back in my campaign. Jo is a bit similar so to have her in my campaigns I always rewrote her to make her a bit more likeable and a bit less "I am so tough, I am so tough, t-u-ff I mean t-o-u-gh"
Erpegis
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iskandar wrote:

. Deadlands is not "lets hunt down the gods for fun" d and d. Its more of a call of cthulu continual struggle against superior evil.

I respectfully disagree. Deadlands is all about defeating the ancient evil gods. Sure, it takes 200 years, time travel, space travel, world shaking rituals, but in the end the Reckoners will be defeated (hopefully). The oly reason the Reckoners won on Weird West is because they cheated.

Quote:
I do agree that it could have been written a bit better to at least allow the players a chance of messing with stone. Also, the annoying mary sue with the uber gun was a bit irritating. I introduced the hell on earth booklet and everything by having her run in and help the posse. However, the second all that information was digested, stone came back and shot her repeatedly, followed by dynamite and then some napalm to really make it clear that she was very, very, very, very dead and was never coming back in my campaign. Jo is a bit similar so to have her in my campaigns I always rewrote her to make her a bit more likeable and a bit less "I am so tough, I am so tough, t-u-ff I mean t-o-u-gh"

Great use of Stone, btw!
iskandar
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erpegis wrote:

I respectfully disagree. Deadlands is all about defeating the ancient evil gods. Sure, it takes 200 years, time travel, space travel, world shaking rituals, but in the end the Reckoners will be defeated (hopefully). The oly reason the Reckoners won on Weird West is because they cheated.

Great use of Stone, btw!

On the first, they were defeated, but they were defeated by the actions of thousands of people working together, its like water wearing down a stone and the posse are little water particles. Stones are scary when you are a water molecule.

As for using stone, I tend to use him like that with posses who have already played a deadlands campaign or two. Its sort of a way of me saying "sorry you have had to deal with this before, here is some cathasis".
Ray
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my group face Stone once.

After doing a job for him. Surprised

The Syker With No Name (It was an HoE game) got Stone's respect for having the big brass ones to ask for an autograph. Laughing
iskandar
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
I had my group face Stone once.

After doing a job for him. Surprised

The Syker With No Name (It was an HoE game) got Stone's respect for having the big brass ones to ask for an autograph. Laughing

I once ran a joke campaign (yes, I did a humoristic deadlands campaign, mostly because it was my usual group and we had been playing for near a decade, the horror was gone) it mostly consisted of memes (the posse had to sing the "bed intruder" song to dispel the ritual that was causing a horde of zombies to climb into the windows of the house they were in) and I had old pete go senile. Hilarity ensued.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iskandar wrote:
Also, the annoying mary sue with the uber gun was a bit irritating. I introduced the hell on earth booklet and everything by having her run in and help the posse. However, the second all that information was digested, stone came back and shot her repeatedly, followed by dynamite and then some napalm to really make it clear that she was very, very, very, very dead and was never coming back in my campaign.

When I ran Fortress of Fear, the PCs got Jackie's journal by other means, then on their way from Lost Angels, found the following tombstone:

Here Lies
Jackie “Mary Sue” Wells

Jackie was a “plot device”
The GM killed her out of spite
The author never gave her stats
She didn’t even have a hat.

For what it's worth, I think Deadlands definitely got away from that sort of thing and later scenarios had the posse actually doing the real stuff, rather than watching powerful NPCs do it all.

I had a similar moment later on. When the posse made it to the portal in Devil's Tower, there were a bunch of wakiskas around. Stone showed up and, to demonstrate how deadly he was, fanned the hammer with one gun, then with the other, killing them all in a few seconds. That was how I responded to the author's description of their origin. Funny how one of the best scenarios, Heart of Darkness, was then immediately followed by one of the worst, Fortress of Fear.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
iskandar
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortress of Fear I think failed for two primary reasons: the first was that it was a vehicle for hell on earth, much like the unity. This meant that the focus was on introducing the posse to a whole new world, meaning that the posse are essentially along for the ride. This, however, is forgiveable, the unity adventure showed that you could have the posse be on the sidelines but still be entertaining, as long as you had good tension and story flow, meaning that the posse feel like they are really doing something and that something is at risk if they fail, even if it may be minor. What Fortress of Fear really frakked up, however, was on that, tension. Stone and ghost meant there was no reason for the posse to feel like anything was at stake. He just floats up to the portal room, magically insta kills a hero than floats up to the top with the gem and somehow the posse are supposed to stop A GODDAMN PLOT DEVICE! Even worse, this is set in an area that's a boring slog to get through. Diablo 3 can get away with it because combat is fast and furious, people don't play paper rpgs to wade through mooks. Not to mention, with the ghosting and everything, they just have to magically, poof, find a way to "stop" a god who is pretty much immune to everything. Heart of darkness was a great story because of tension, fortress of fright was like a bad move licensed game. I apologize if I'm ranting, but I think that pinnacle really had a chance to make an epic climax and really make people want to go to the wasted west with their final story in that epic storyline and they blew it big time.

Edit:
Okay so far this thread has mostly been the complain about fortress o fright thread, which I am probably sure pinnacle got sick of (at least in listserv) when it got released, so here is an example of how (at least this writer) did. Note, I was the writer for a campaign my friend was running, as I kinda sucked at gming and balancing stuff, but was a good writer, so my friend kinda acted as the computer and ai for the bad guys while I sorta was the narrator. I created it so that 1- Stone could barely use ghost and 2- it was a true race. The idea was that the posse had to blitz its way through to the portal while stone was hot on their heels. I also gave the posse chances to face stone. Basically, in an earlier adventure they had been visited by a manitou who had asked them to free him from his servitude to a horror who continually tortured it, in return, the manitou would, at a critical moment, weaken the harrowed's power. The posse also got jackies gun that could injure stone. I ran the combat in a fast way and also tried to emphasize how close by stone was, thus the posse left a lot of the critters alive and stone had to deal with them. I would use description of sound to show how close he was, the thud of his guns being a good backdrop to it all. I emphasized how desperate they were to get to the portal room and also, resident evil nemesis style, had stone up show up in combat once or twice, only to have him be swamped by the crossbreeds. This all lead up to the dramatic showdown in the portal chamber, which I had written to actually be a trap. The idea was that in the portal room they were going to actually hide the gem in an area of the hunting grounds controlled by the nature spirits, so they all ran into the hunting grounds, but the others had to halt there and turn, holding off stone while the last one desperately tried to reach the safe zone. That way there was desperation, tension and a sense that the posse really could influence what was going to happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: