Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weapon Enchantment: Never Miss
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpk666 wrote:
Your calculations seem to assume that Beta is just making a single normal attack each round. When I run the simulations for a variety of tactical choices, here is what I get:

2 fighters all traits d6, shortsword & +3 armor, Alpha has Never Miss Sword

He's also using d8 values instead of d6 which I think is more "accurate," especially since a +3 Armor on a d6 Strength character is highly unlikely
(not to mention having a Never Miss sword).

Also, are you still running your sims as a miss only counting as a normal hit with no Called Shot bonus?

If so, then tactically there's no real advantage to taking that penalty as there was before. In fact without that bonus, I think the preferable tactic would be to multi-action. A miss is still a hit, so the penalty to attack isn't as limiting as it is otherwise.

One option would be to Full Defense with a second weapon. Heck, the "second" weapon could be in the main hand while the Never Miss sword takes the -2 penalty for offhand (since it will hit barring a critical failure). Might not help often, but about every 1 in 4 or 5 actions Parry will be higher (about double that if used with Two-Fisted).

Another would be a Trick or Test of Will. The primary goal here is to go for the Shaken since even at half damage that might translate to a wound. And of course a normal success doesn't "cost" anything since it negates the multi-action penalty on the attack while a failure just makes half damage slightly more likely than full.

One thing I wouldn't do with the Never Miss weapon is Wild Attack. There's little reason to increase the chance to hit when a miss will hit anyway even if only for half damage, and when the cost of the -2 Parry is factored in, it's even less appealing.

Honestly, what a character with this weapon wants to do is decrease his chance to be hit as much as possible and let his "misses" eventually nickel and dime his opponent down.

Putting that all together, the character should likely use a shield for the bonus to Parry and then perhaps multi-action in a shield bash/Push (which likely wouldn't suffer offhand penalties anyway).

www.peginc.com
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To simulate Rapid Attack, set the number of attacks to 3, reduce the parry modifier by 2, and reduce the attack bonus by 4.
cpk666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let me try this again now that I understand the program a bit better.

2 fighters all traits d8, longsword, +3 armor & shield, Alpha has Never Miss Sword

Single Attack each
Alpha wins:58%

Alpha wild attacks
Alpha wins: 69%

Beta wild attack
Alpha wins: 38%

Both wild attack
Alpha wins: 51%

Alpha attacks for head, Beta wild attacks
Alpha wins: 28%

Alpha wild attacks for head, Beta wild attacks
Alpha wins: 36%

Alpha attacks for eyeslit, Beta wild attacks
Alpha wins: 55%

Alpha wild attacks for eyeslit, Beta wild attacks
Alpha wins: 53%

... I'll simulate the rapid attacks in a bit.

CK

"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass."--Cordelia Chase
cpk666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 fighters all traits d8, longsword, +3 armor & shield, Alpha has Never Miss Sword

Both rapid attack
Alpha wins:68%

Alpha wild rapid attacks, Beta rapid attacks
Alpha wins: 75%

Alpha rapid attacks, Beta wild rapid attacks
Alpha wins: 46%

Both wild rapid attack
Alpha wins: 55%

Alpha rapid attacks for head, Beta wild rapid attacks
Alpha wins: 48%

Alpha wild rapid attacks for head, Beta wild rapid attacks
Alpha wins: 46%

Alpha rapid attacks for eyeslit, Beta wild rapid attacks
Alpha wins: 80%

Alpha wild rapid attacks for eyeslit, Beta wild rapid attacks
Alpha wins: 74%

So does this make the Never Miss weapon too powerful? I'm no longer sure how to even answer that.

CK

cpk666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran some simulations using weapons of differing magical qualities:

The "never miss" longsword seems comparable to the +2/+2 or the +3 to hit longswords.

CK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: