Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A couple multiple action clarifications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shinryu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: A couple multiple action clarifications Reply with quote

Apologies if these have been asked before, but didn't find anything:

1) Does Two-Fisted explicitly only apply to two simultaneous attacks with both hands? That is to say, if I say shoot with my primary hand and pull a clip to reload with the other, would my attack be penalized since my multiple action is not an attack, or does the -2 penalty not apply to the attack; Would the multi-action penalty apply if I did something requiring a skill roll that was not an attack with the other hand (say, shooting with one hand, picking a lock with the other, to pick the first dumb example that popped into my head)? Additionally, I'd assume that a Full Defense roll wouldn't be covered by Two-Fisted as it's not actually an attack?

2) Kind of an edge case, but some two handed weapons may have multiple modes of attack (I'm thinking underbarrel launchers and shotguns in particular, or possibly a double-ended polearm). Would Two-Fisted negate the penalty to use the other weapon in the same round (so, shooting the rifle and firing the launcher/shotgun simultaneously)? I tend to think it would since one hand is firing each "weapon" in most setups like that, but was not sure there.

3) Is it permissible to mix attack types in a multiple action? e.g., if I'm using Frenzy or Rapid Attack, can I use my second or third attack to initiate a grapple (or, using that nifty Hi-yaa Edge, something like strike/throw/grapple in a Rapid Attack)? Or am I limited to just standard attacks? If the latter, could those all be grappling attempts? It would make sense if this were permissible, but since the grappling attempts/throws are opposed rolls I could see how that wouldn't necessarily work very well.

4) Rapid Attack can be combined with other actions that are not attacks, correct? It's not necessarily smart, but I could see situations where reloading, Tricking or Pushing someone and then Rapid Attacking might be a viable tactic in some cases.

Thanks for your help!
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: A couple multiple action clarifications Reply with quote

shinryu wrote:
1) Does Two-Fisted explicitly only apply to two simultaneous attacks with both hands? That is to say, if I say shoot with my primary hand and pull a clip to reload with the other, would my attack be penalized since my multiple action is not an attack, or does the -2 penalty not apply to the attack; Would the multi-action penalty apply if I did something requiring a skill roll that was not an attack with the other hand (say, shooting with one hand, picking a lock with the other, to pick the first dumb example that popped into my head)? Additionally, I'd assume that a Full Defense roll wouldn't be covered by Two-Fisted as it's not actually an attack?

Two-Fisted absolutely only applies "When attacking with a weapon in each hand."

That's one main difference between it and Ambidextrous (which removes the offhand penalty for any action).

Full Defense however is specifically a Fighting roll which is of course an attack roll, so Two-Fisted applies in that case.

shinryu wrote:
2) Kind of an edge case, but some two handed weapons may have multiple modes of attack (I'm thinking underbarrel launchers and shotguns in particular, or possibly a double-ended polearm). Would Two-Fisted negate the penalty to use the other weapon in the same round (so, shooting the rifle and firing the launcher/shotgun simultaneously)? I tend to think it would since one hand is firing each "weapon" in most setups like that, but was not sure there.

No such weapons in the core rules, so there's no "official" answer. Ultimately, such under-barrel weapons require both hands to fire as much as the attached rifle, so they exist primarily as an optional attack not an additional one.

shinryu wrote:
3) Is it permissible to mix attack types in a multiple action? e.g., if I'm using Frenzy or Rapid Attack, can I use my second or third attack to initiate a grapple (or, using that nifty Hi-yaa Edge, something like strike/throw/grapple in a Rapid Attack)? Or am I limited to just standard attacks? If the latter, could those all be grappling attempts? It would make sense if this were permissible, but since the grappling attempts/throws are opposed rolls I could see how that wouldn't necessarily work very well.

Grapple is a Fighting roll, so any maneuvers or Edges affecting that roll could theoretically be used for it, including Frenzy or Rapid Attack.

Whether a GM allows the attacks to be mixed is going to be up to them. If so, I'd suggest they require the specific die being used for the grapple attempt(s) be noted before the roll.

shinryu wrote:
4) Rapid Attack can be combined with other actions that are not attacks, correct? It's not necessarily smart, but I could see situations where reloading, Tricking or Pushing someone and then Rapid Attacking might be a viable tactic in some cases.

Rapid Attack only has the specific limitation that it can't be combined with any other option to attack multiple foes. It does of course have the basic one that characters are limited to two hands (generally), so other actions that might require using the same hands could be disallowed unless they specifically have an exception (like readying a weapon or reloading).

Other than that, it is possible to multi-action with Rapid Attack though, as noted, the wisdom of such an action is debatable. Wink

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: