Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting Characters at Seasoned+

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Starting Characters at Seasoned+ Reply with quote

Hello licensees... I have a question.

Why do so many settings start PCs at Seasoned Rank (or higher), or with several advances beyond Novice, please??

I don't have a problem with it, I'm just curious about the reasoning.

Thanks in advance...
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Characters at Seasoned+ Reply with quote

sablemage wrote:
Hello licensees... I have a question.

Why do so many settings start PCs at Seasoned Rank (or higher), or with several advances beyond Novice, please??

So many? I can only think of a handful that go up to Seasoned much less any starting past Seasoned/several advances beyond Novice (since there are only a few advances within Novice, "several" would seem to indicate well past Seasoned too).

Have I missed something in a bunch of recent settings?

www.peginc.com
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own 10 Savage Worlds settings and only 3 of those -Beasts & Barbarians, Legends of Steel, Thrilling Tales- propose starting PC's at Seasoned rank. Tour of Darkness and Weird Wars II have provisions for it, but in both of those it's a 20 experience point debt that has to be payed back.

I think the answer to why some have PC's starting out at seasoned rank, might be addressed in the types of settings given above. Both Beasts and Barbarians and Legends of Steel are Sword & Sorcery settings - a Fantasy genre without any player races and their unique racial abilites to differentiate PC's. That means that the differentiation has to be achieved through character quirks (hindrances) and truly exceptional abilities (skills and edges), which is easier to do if PC's have an additional 4 advances worth of points to spend from the start. That said I ran campaigns for both of those settings with PC's starting at Novice rank, which was very challenging, but also very satisfying for the players.

Thrilling Tales is quite true to 30's pulp without any arcane backgrounds, relatively low-tech and an environment in which extra foes (mooks) are really supposed to fall like flies when confronted by the stellar abilities of PC's. Its much easier to achieve that when you start your PC's as Seasoned. In fact that setting has a team-play option in which 1 PC starts at Heroic or even Legendary rank. Surprised The more capable PC's work because traditional pulp is an action-heavy genre where your PC's are always going to have waves of mooks coming at them as well as some truly formidable masterminds and king pins. Wink
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of adventures-only settings (i.e. no setting book), DTA, DTSL, and I think DTSP start at Seasoned. All for the reasons Kronovan gives for Thrilling Tales -- we wanted to throw mooks around from the start.
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insights, guys - perhaps my sample is biased, 3 of the 8 settings I have start PCs off above Novice. Smile
NOESKANE
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiyas!

I'm almost 100% certain that Totems of the Dead by Gun Metal Games makes sure all PCs start at Seasoned Rank.

HtH
NEK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: