Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Strike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vasquez21
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: First Strike Reply with quote

edit: I found that the skill name is First Strike

So thing is like this. I have a player who plays Dwarf, and he is using big two handed-weapon. Usually when he hit someone his opponent is down. And now with this advatage he can actualy kill anyone who try to attack him, and then again anyone who he can reach in his own activation.

I think that this skill is realy powerfull comparing to others, and in fantasy world (where most fights are in melee) even stronger. I am still thinking that I am missing something here.

So my question is didn't you find this skill to much powerful? I mean, I can understand that there have to be also some powerful skills... but for novice?
Am I missing something? Does this skill doesn't work on personality who just want to attack our character?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: First Strike Reply with quote

Vasquez21 wrote:
edit: I found that the skill name is First Strike

So thing is like this. I have a player who plays Dwarf, and he is using big two handed-weapon. Usually when he hit someone his opponent is down. And now with this advatage he can actualy kill anyone who try to attack him, and then again anyone who he can reach in his own activation.

I think that this skill is realy powerfull comparing to others, and in fantasy world (where most fights are in melee) even stronger. I am still thinking that I am missing something here.

So my question is didn't you find this skill to much powerful? I mean, I can understand that there have to be also some powerful skills... but for novice?
Am I missing something? Does this skill doesn't work on personality who just want to attack our character?

Well, to clarify in the English version, it's not a "skill" but an Edge. Also, I can't say with 100% certainty what your version says, but...

First Strike only affects 1 foe per round. If 2 or more enemies run up to him, he only gets to attack 1 before his next action.

It also only works when they move adjacent to him. If he moves adjacent, no attack. If they are already adjacent and just move around him, no attack.

Also, the Edge cannot be used if the character is Shaken.

If all these rules are being applied, then the Edge can only be as powerful as the GM allows.

Basically, the Edge should only likely grant him one additional attack per combat unless his foes are completely mindless. A group that moves in together (like a group of Extras) is at worst going to lose one member and then get their attacks on him. And once the Edge is used, then it's obvious he has it, so any foe with even animal-level Smarts won't move in unless he's not ready (i.e. Shaken). It doesn't even take ranged attacks to pull that off; Tests of Will (Taunt and Intimidation) or Tricks can do the same thing on a raise, and if resisting multiple attempts, one getting a raise is likely.

In short, the Edge is a one-trick pony while the NPCs have access to the same tactics as the players to trip that pony up. Wink

Hope that helps.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: