Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Elder Scrolls: A Savage Worlds Conversion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that between this conversion and the walkthrough guides for the video games, one could literally run a game of the video games. I wonder how that would go.

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newForumNewName wrote:
I just realized that between this conversion and the walkthrough guides for the video games, one could literally run a game of the video games. I wonder how that would go.

Interesting enough, now that Bethesda offiicially announced the Elder Scrolls Online MMORPG yesterday, that topic has been getting some discussion on other forums. IMO for a tabletop, or party-based missions in a MMO, not that well; at least not unless there's some adjustment to make them more suited to a party. The missions in the game are really tailored to a single hero with very exceptional capabilities. If you contrast SW and Thunderforge's conversion to the videogame, a starting PC is quite a bit below a videogame PC in capabilities; both attribute and skillwise.

All of the specific locations, beasts and foes that populate them in the videogame quests would be fine. However, there'd need to be adjustments for numbers, loot and quest items - unless of course you're a nasty GM who's amused by his players fighting over that critical item. Smile As well you'd have to make adjustments for Fighter, Thieves and Mage guild quests. I've personally run guild quest adventures in DragonAGE and although challenging, they're doable.
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronovan wrote:
unless of course you're a nasty GM who's amused by his players fighting over that critical item. Smile

Who? Me?! Naaaaaaahhh Twisted Evil

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newForumNewName wrote:

Actually, I spent about half a page discussing that on page 36 and give some broad suggestions about how to run Arena and Daggerfall as campaigns. Because there were far fewer quests and, unlike the later games, the player was "some dude who happened to save the world" rather than "the chosen one," it's pretty easy to retell the story as something a whole party could do.

In fact, I've seriously considered running a Daggerfall campaign using nothing but the conversion and info about all the quests. In typical plot point style, I'd give them a map of the Illiac Bay region and let them decide how they want to deal with everything. Some of the missions would be modified so they wouldn't all end in killing someone (since tabletop rpgs allow for so many more interesting resolutions) and I'd have sessions of lots of role-playing with the nobility and dealing with the politics of the region.

Or if the group isn't as interested in politicking and would rather crawl through some dungeons, I figure I could make a pretty straightforward plot point with Arena's Main Quest. I'd let them go to any province in any order and fill in a whole bunch of stuff with all the lore that has developed since the first game. For instance, the Daedric princes weren't conceptualized until later games, but I'm sure some of them would be willing to help…or hinder…a party trying to reform the Staff of Chaos.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:
Actually, I spent about half a page discussing that on page 36 and give some broad suggestions about how to run Arena and Daggerfall as campaigns. Because there were far fewer quests and, unlike the later games, the player was "some dude who happened to save the world" rather than "the chosen one," it's pretty easy to retell the story as something a whole party could do.

It was the later games (Morrowind-Skyrim) that I was thinking of. The only early game I played was Daggerfall. I did make an attempt at the Redguard action videogame, but not being a true RPG it fizzled out for me. Confused I did enjoy Daggerfall and agree it would be much more condusive to party-based adventures. I can still see the campaings in the later 3 games working, but as I said above the adventures/missions would need a fair amount of modding.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 1.2 is now released! As usual, download it here. There are a lot of changes this time around and the document has grown to 74 pages!

New Features
  • Created the Savant Professional Edge, allowing well-educated characters to receive +2 to Common Knowledge rolls
  • Created the Moth Priest Professional Edge, allowing for a character to learn Elder Scrolls prophecy
  • New artifacts: Auriel’s Bow, Auriel’s Shield, Blade of Woe, Chrysamere, Daedric Crescent, Helm of Oreyn Bearclaw, Scourge, Spear of Bitter Mercy, and Warlock’s Ring. All of the “classic” artifacts from Arena and Daggerfall are now included as well as just about all of the ones appearing in two or more of the later games.
  • Added a Racial Edge for Imperials, Luck of the Emperor, which lets Imperials spend a benny to add +1d6 to their trait roll once per day
  • Dai-katanas, darts, and throwing stars have been added to the weapons section
  • Created a table with the prices for every spell in Savage Worlds Deluxe as a spell tome, potion/scroll, and enchantment (with the formulae in Appendix B).
  • Added gear listings for beverages, transportation, and moon sugar/skooma
  • Added Falmer, Dwarven Automata, Mazken, and Rats to the Bestiary
  • Added descriptions for Dragons, Ghosts, Goblins, Liches, Minotaurs, Skeletons, Trolls, Werewolves, Vampires, and Zombies with instructions to look at their stats in Savage Worlds Deluxe
  • Created Appendix A containing information for using the Fantasy Companion with The Elder Scrolls.

Gameplay Changes
  • Characters no longer receive any free powers, but start with 10 Magicka
  • The All Thumbs Hindrance is now forbidden
  • Khajiit now receive +2 to Streetwise checks to find moon sugar or skooma (this is being counted as a +0 racial ability because it has such as specific use)
  • The Breton “Excessive Eccentricity” has been changed. They now pick any two of several Minor Hindrances
  • Sinning Tables for Dibella, Kynareth, and Mara have been adjusted
  • The requirements for Wizard and Soul Drain were changed to remove references to the Spellcasting skill
  • Adept, Champion, and Holy Warrior now require the Mysticism skill instead of Restoration
  • The Arcane Resistance Edge can now be taken by characters
  • Potent Adrenaline Rush Edge had is rank requirement reduced to Seasoned (was Veteran)
  • Strong Dragonskin now only requires Vigor d6+ (was Vigor d8+) and provides only +1 Armor, but it can stack with other armor.
  • Way of the Voice now allows any power to be taken and the penalties for rolling a 1 are reduced.
  • The Serpent Birthsign is simplified to just require a Touch Attack
  • The Shadow Birthsign now just provides the invisibility power; no separate pool for its use.
  • The Lord Birthsign has been changed to allow those born under it to spend a Benny to automatically heal one wound
  • Enchanting is simpler: enchanted artifacts get a pool of Magicka equal to 5 times the amount needed to cast the spell.
  • Changed the range of Jump to Touch and reduced the Magicka required to 2
  • Divine Intervention is now its own power (was previously a modifier for Teleport)
  • Water Walking is now a function of Environmental Protection instead of Elemental Manipulation
  • All Vampires now gain a bite attack dealing Str+d4 damage
  • Sunlight is drastically more lethal to vampires, resulting in a Fatigue level every hour, minute, three rounds, and round of exposure for the first through fourth days respectively.
  • The positive benefits of Vampirism after the fourth day without feeding have been changed to gaining the Undead monstrous ability and temporarily gaining the invisibility power that only works at night.
  • Clanfear have Agility d8 (was d6)
  • Daedroth have Agility d6 and Smarts d4(A) (was Agility d8 and Smarts d8(A))
  • Dremora have Smarts d10 (was d8 )
  • Dremora Lords have Smarts d12 (was d10)
  • Dreugh have Intimidation d6 (was d4) and no longer have animal intelligence
  • Frost Atronachs have Strength d6 (was d4) and a Frostbolt ability to match the Flame Atronach’s Firebolt ability.
  • Golden Saints have Intimidate d6 (was untrained)
  • Hunger’s “Devour Metal” special ability now uses the Breaking Things rule in Savage Worlds Deluxe.
  • Scamps no longer have Shooting d4.
  • Slaughterfish are now a Swarm, rather than an individual creature
  • Spriggan now have Smarts d8 (was d10), Claws, and Fast Regeneration
  • Storm Atronachs now have Smarts d10 (was d8 ) and a Shockbolt ability to match the Flame Atronach’s Firebolt ability.
  • The Ebony Mail now only prevents three of the most common offensive powers from working, rather than all powers from the Destruction school.
  • Wabbajack transformations now only last for 1d6 hours instead of 1d6 days
  • The Elder Scrolls artifact has been modified due to the addition of the Moth Priest Edge.

Textual Changes
  • Went through every page with a red pen, making hundreds of text revisions and clarifications
  • Moved information about powers from the Fantasy Companion to the newly formed Appendix A

As always, feel free to share your feedback!

kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Thunderforge, it looks like a very significant update. My son just got 3 of his buddies together 2 weekends ago and they drew up some PC's. This is going to be the 1st setting he's GM'd. From the list you've given, it looks like they may need to revisit those characters.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really cool, kronovan! I think he could use this version just fine, as the bulk of the changes either added new player content or only affected the GM. Pretty much all of the changes to player content were in the favor of the player (e.g. the Strong Dragonskin Edge only requires Vigor d6+, rather than Vigor d8+), so if they already have that Edge, they're still fine.

The big difference I see is that his characters might be set up to start with two powers for free, but there's nothing stopping them from just playing by the version 1.1 rules for that if they want to.

Hope your son's game goes well! Please share how it goes with us!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: