Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using d14s Instead of d12+1, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Using d14s Instead of d12+1, etc. Reply with quote

I recently ran into a Kickstarter for d14s and d18s, the two dice that aren't commonly available. It made me wonder, could you run Savage Worlds where instead of capping out at a d12 and just adding a static modifier when you go over you instead continued to increase with these polyhedral dice. For instance, perhaps your Necessary Evil brick doesn't have Strength d12+3, but instead has a d18 in Strength.

Anybody ever try this?

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Haroth
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that increasing the die type would ruin the real benefit of 1d12+1, which is consistency. A d14 would have the same average as a d12+1, but with a chance for a 1 and 14 in the mix. Personally, I would take a d12+1 over a d14 any day of the week. It's more beneficial to only miss on a 1 or 2 than it is to ace on a 14 instead of a 12.
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and don't forget that if the d12+1 is accompanied by a wild die, then the wild die gets the +1 as well!
Best Internet page ever
Mylon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do prefer the idea of d14 over d12+1. While d12+1 offers more consistency, it really just feels like a kludge to deal with the limited offerings of dice. That is, there are other means of obtaining flat bonuses like Trademark weapon or professional edges.

My ideal (computer) RPG system would be to have a target number based on the difficulty and a composite skill based on a number of factors, including linked attribute, primary skill and synergy skills. Then the computer rolls 1d(difficulty rating) versus 1d(composite skill). Making the difficulty rating variable provides the same effect of exploding dice without the quirkiness of d6s being better at rolling 8s than d8s.

Savage Worlds is a nice compromise that's actually manageable in tabletop. Though if d14s-d18s were common, I think the game could do with a small bump to target numbers. Maybe making 5 for a success and 10 for a raise the status quo. d12 represents 2 raises on 12 currently. d20 would represent 4 raises on a 20!
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Gamescience or Koplow already make such dice.
There's even d3's, d5's, & d7's.

SteveN
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I just became a backer for the project. I am thinking that changing the success to 5 and raises on 5's is a good idea. I like multiples of 5 better than I like 4's anyway.

To be evil is to live backwards
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has actually come up a few times before... Wink
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Cutter said.
I remember finding these before and thinking the same thing, then promptly dropped the idea as being too much work for practically no gain. The game works fine as it is.

SteveN
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last bit of grist for the mill.

As the die type increases, the character statistically becomes less special when compared to an extra as the effect of the Wild Die becomes diluted. Having d12+1 also add +1 to the Wild Die mitigates that effect a bit.
Best Internet page ever
Mylon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Inar wrote:
One last bit of grist for the mill.

As the die type increases, the character statistically becomes less special when compared to an extra as the effect of the Wild Die becomes diluted. Having d12+1 also add +1 to the Wild Die mitigates that effect a bit.

If d8 is average, then the wild die becomes d8 as well.
amerigoV
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Inar wrote:
...and don't forget that if the d12+1 is accompanied by a wild die, then the wild die gets the +1 as well!

Hmm, that is a new one to me. We just had characters that hit Legendary in a campaign for the first time so it has not come up much (other than an occasional Boost Trait).

I do not have SWD handy - is that explicitly written or is that an interpretation?

(I know if you have a bonus to a roll from circumstance that you add to both dice, but I did not know if you have a raw score of d12+n that the +n goes to the wild die as well. I was mentally treating it is "d14" and "d18" - ie, an inherent part of the Trait die).
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amerigoV wrote:
(I know if you have a bonus to a roll from circumstance that you add to both dice, but I did not know if you have a raw score of d12+n that the +n goes to the wild die as well. I was mentally treating it is "d14" and "d18" - ie, an inherent part of the Trait die).

See here:

Clint wrote:
All modifiers apply to the higher die result whether it is the Trait die or the Wild Die, without exception.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Past a certain point, I prefer the +1 over a wider-ranging die. There's a certain point where having a ridiculously high trait should mean certain minimum expectations of performance. If you're up past d12, I think a flat bonus is perfectly fine; that trait is supposed to be remarkable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: