Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

blackpodwer misfires and quality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheatiess
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: blackpodwer misfires and quality Reply with quote

firstly i will state that i play a warhammer like conversion where black powder weapon are meant to be over expensive, dangerous to use or both.

muskets in my setting do 2d10 ap 4 and pistols 2d8. bit higher
but with the slow reload and skill roll to load(in my setting)
ease that the gm can take away powder(rained 1/2 your powder is wrecked)
the noise and smoke created,
the need for its own skill to operate and repair to keep it working
let alone the chance for it to explode. the higher damge is very much offset

but i feel the gun should always have a change at misfire not only when overloaded and that the guns really should come in different quality levels for the payers

with a one on the shooting die being the go to for bystanders this makes exploding/overheating weapons a little hard to manage

thus i purpose reliability die for a quality level of the gun used

poor d4
common d6
good d8
best d10
master d12

lower method(maybe for a pirate game)

when a one is rolled for your shooting die roll your quality die
or if a crit fail is rolled go strait to misfire

1 misfire: roll on misfire table(fused ball, part burn, slow burn, explode)
2-4 bystander: hit other person if aplicable
5+ nothing?

gives chance of misfire with black powder skill of 6(not including crit fail)
poor 4.2%
common 2.7%
good 2.0%
best 1.6%
master 1.5%

higher method( more suited to warhammer or very early gunpowder)

when a one is rolled for your shooting die roll your quality die
or if a crit fail is rolled go strait to misfire

fail 1-3 misfire
pass 4+ bystander

gives chance of misfire with black powder(BP) skill of 6(not including crit fail)
poor 12.5%
common 8.3%
good 6.25%
best 5%
master 4.2%

may not handel bystand all that well but more interested in the guns exploding. in soloman kane they either wont explode or will do it one in 10 times. i need it as a deterant to use them but dont want it to be that high of an occurance and misfire results of slow burn are funny( gun goes off in d3 turns[dont show player])

guess i should write it out briefly
part burn: half the powder didnt ignite only do one die of damage (pistol dCool
slow burn: gun goes off in d3 turns[dont show player]
fused ball: ball melted in barrel must be repaired before next use
explode : roll the guns damge against the guns toughness ((rifle has tough 12 vs damage 2d10 ap4) any damage exedding the gun goes to the operator and gun is shrapnel

under the second rules a shooter with BP d10 and a good gun(dCool would have a misfire chance of 3.75 but could pick up a rusty gun off an enemy and have a 9.37 chance

over loading or blunder buss(which where less likly to explode in real life but more likly in most rpgs) could drop a dice type or put a penalty on the quality roll

before i get people saying that converting the numbers like this is not adressing the flavour of the setting stop and think.
it is a dice based game
it uses numbers
these numbers reflect what the game world says
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A suggestion to make things go faster, shamelessly inspired by the Smith & Robards 1880 catalog,:
Mishaps when the Shooting die is a 1; consult the Wild Die (or roll a d6 for Extras).
1 or less - Kaboom. Bad things, usually with much death involved.
2-3 - Backfire (shooter takes 2d6 damage, weapon is damaged and requires a Repair roll and 2d6 rounds to become usable again).
4+ - It works but things are out of alignment and all trait rolls to use the weapon are at -2 until it is Repaired (an action).

Weapon Quality is a modifier when determining Mishaps; Master is a +1, Best is +0, Good is -1, Common is -2, and Poor is -3.

Innocent Bystander rules are unaffected.

Similar results to your own system, but a lot faster to resolve (no extra tables to roll on or additional dice to roll).
Blackhawk
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
A suggestion to make things go faster, shamelessly inspired by the Smith & Robards 1880 catalog,:
Mishaps when the Shooting die is a 1; consult the Wild Die (or roll a d6 for Extras).
1 or less - Kaboom. Bad things, usually with much death involved.
2-3 - Backfire (shooter takes 2d6 damage, weapon is damaged and requires a Repair roll and 2d6 rounds to become usable again).
4+ - It works but things are out of alignment and all trait rolls to use the weapon are at -2 until it is Repaired (an action).

Weapon Quality is a modifier when determining Mishaps; Master is a +1, Best is +0, Good is -1, Common is -2, and Poor is -3.

Innocent Bystander rules are unaffected.

Similar results to your own system, but a lot faster to resolve (no extra tables to roll on or additional dice to roll).

I love this. I was just working on a setting with some basic black powder weapons myself, and was thinking about how to approach it.

I will likely do one thing different. I have a lot of real life experience with black powder weapons (I've built and/or used percussion, flintlocks, wheel locks, even matchlocks), and this system is a little too harsh. As it is, by the odds, an average shooter (d6 skill) will have the gun blow up and injure or kill him one in twelve shots. Nobody would use such a weapon. Instead:

1 or less - Explosion. The barrel explodes like a bomb. 3d6 damage in a small burst template. Weapon is destroyed.
2 - Backfire (shooter takes 2d6 damage, weapon is damaged and requires a Repair roll and 2d6 rounds to become usable again).
3 - Failed load. The gun must be manually unloaded and reloaded. This takes as long as two normal reloads for the weapon.
4-6+ - Flash in the Pan. The gun is working correctly, but the main powder charge failed to ignite. It can be fired again normally the next round.

This keeps the weapon unreliable - one in six shots is still going to fail, but the failures would be more in line with how things really go wrong with these weapons.

If you wanted to implement quality, just offer a bonus or penalty on the table (quality weapons get +1 on the misfire table, for instance.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: