Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[hoe:r] martial arts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashenwolf
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: [hoe:r] martial arts Reply with quote

How does martial arts work in hoe:r. Does it function like in deadlands reloaded or like the savage worlds core.?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: [hoe:r] martial arts Reply with quote

ashenwolf wrote:
How does martial arts work in hoe:r. Does it function like in deadlands reloaded or like the savage worlds core.?

It uses the edges from the core rulebook and adds its own Edge of "Kung Fu" that can be taken up to 9 times for different martial art specialities.

www.peginc.com
MagusRogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that always confused me. What happened to celestial kung fu, anyway? The other power sources make sense with the changes, but the loss of Enlightened Martial arts i don't think was ever explained.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagusRogue wrote:
that always confused me. What happened to celestial kung fu, anyway? The other power sources make sense with the changes, but the loss of Enlightened Martial arts i don't think was ever explained.

It evolved into Sykers. Overview is in the Classic book Brainburners.

The basic techniques are still around, but it's not quite as magical. Hence the new (amazing) Kung Fu edge in HoE:R
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
MagusRogue wrote:

It evolved into Sykers. Overview is in the Classic book Brainburners.

Also given a mention in HOE Reloaded in the Syker history...

"The answer came in the form of Asian priests and martial artists. These individuals had managed to tap into the power of the Hunting Grounds directly, without dealing with manitous, nature spirits, or higher beings for their powers. Their power was channeled directly through their psyches and shaped by mental training."

Sykers are the evolution of the Enlightened.

www.peginc.com
MagusRogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh so when Hucksters lost their powers they began emulating martial artists? So are there no true Enlightened anymore?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagusRogue wrote:
Ahhh so when Hucksters lost their powers they began emulating martial artists? So are there no true Enlightened anymore?

Hucksterism and Mad Science were combined into proto-Junking, which evolved into the techno-shaman style of current Junking.

Shamanism was corrupted by contact with pollution spirits into the Toxic Shaman.
Blessed were juiced up with more overt and militant abilities into the Templars.

In Classic all of the old Weird West ABs could still be found, but they were rare and less powerful than the Wasted West contemporaries. In Reloaded, there may be a few of those old guys around but they are relics of a time long past (NPCs), and their time is over.
ashenwolf
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think it would hurt anything to use the other backgrounds in hoe.
Just have to be aware it's not necessarily the intent i.e. keep it rare.

Only real break is martial arts since there are a version of each in each setting. But even then chi mastery forward is its own deal so not really a problem.

Will there be a new version of chi mastery at some point?
I know the government developed psi from martial arts but I don't really see enlightened martial artists turning there back on tradition and so on.
And if they weren't all blown up their skills would be in high demand.

Didn't think blessed had anything to do with Templars , they get there power from a different place? Blessed just rare cause it's hard to have strong faith in something good will living in the apocalypse.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashenwolf wrote:
Don't think it would hurt anything to use the other backgrounds in hoe.

Depends upon how you use them and the campaign you're running. But I wouldn't make it a PC option without one hell of a good story.
ashenwolf wrote:
Will there be a new version of chi mastery at some point?

Highly unlikely. The new Kung Fu edge lets you replicate a lot of the chi mastery abilities while still having a different AB (like Syker). The potential combinations are a lot more powerful than the DL:R Enlightened martial artist, and about as expensive a character build.
ashenwolf wrote:
I know the government developed psi from martial arts but I don't really see enlightened martial artists turning there back on tradition and so on.
And if they weren't all blown up their skills would be in high demand.

Yeah, but I do see them getting old, dying, and having their schools destroyed by a combination of atrophy and government interference. Which means the only schools left were in rural China - not exactly a part of the Wasted West, and likely one of the main targets of the Reckoner's World Tour.

ashenwolf wrote:
Didn't think blessed had anything to do with Templars , they get there power from a different place?
Nope, same source: The Good Guys. Blessed are generally less powerful than Templars - more flexible but less actual power. Templars can kick but like Blessed only dream of, but the world is nasty enough that the forces of Good deemed that level of power to be necessary. One of the things I really respect Pinnacle for doing in the Deadlands line is only giving holy champions the bare minimum of power needed to save the world. That's how all the best stories have always done it.
Villain: "This pathetic rabble is the best the forces of Light can assemble? This is the best your god can do?"
Hero: "Nope. We're simply all that's necessary."
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they ever make martial artist a full on HOE faction you can give them a back story.

If the templars were founded by a museum security guard who took some swords and armor with him....

The way out Wuxa style martial art faction should be founded by a kid who was a Projectionist at an all night martial art movie house with a kung foo weapons stand. The Saint type spirits should appear like the master from the TV show Kung foo and the first three are Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Chung Li

Clint wrote:

It uses the edges from the core rulebook and adds its own Edge of "Kung Fu" that can be taken up to 9 times for different martial art specialities.

Before looking at a friend's Deadlands Reloaded, that was my idea for Wuxia martial Arts in the Jade Forest, almost like the super powers AB but each power is a martial arts maneuver with Shaw Brothers style trappings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: