Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird War Rome
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back, I ran a Weird Wars II / Weird Wars Rome crossover at my local game store (the Armadillo Game Shoppe in Oviedo, FL) due to some weird criteria dictated by the store owner. (It was a bit of an in-joke, I guess.) We basically had a showdown between a bunch of triremes and a U-Boat that had (presumably) traveled back into the past.

Triremes vs. U-Boat

Legionnaire Ambush

I was going to reveal a Twilight-Zone-ish twist at the end, but alas things ended up off to a slow start, and I had to cut it off for time. I'll have to try this again some other time. Anyway, for the naval angle, I used an Axis & Allies U-boat model, which turned out to be a whole lot smaller than I'd expected (I ordered it sight unseen); for the triremes, I ended up scratch-building some representations with Apoxie Sculpt (two-part epoxy putty), some toothpicks, and some paper, with paperclip sections for the oars. I've been told that "Conquest of Empire" (large board game) has a bunch of plastic triremes in it that could've made my job easier, but that would've been an expensive purchase JUST to get the triremes (and the rest of the minis wouldn't really be to scale).

For the land fight, I used a number of WWII German figures that I got in a grab bag deal ... so alas, I don't really know where they're from. For the Romans, I had a bunch of "bitz" of some Warlord and Wargame Factory plastic Roman Legion sets -- a bunch of bodies, shields, heads, and a few weapon arms, though I had to dig through the "bitz box" to get replacement arms for quite a few. Still, I got the impression from this that the Warlord plastics are pretty nice, and the Wargame Factory plastics are at least passable. The shield transfers worked out pretty nicely once I figured out how they worked.
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan, that's looks like a heckuva setup! Thanks for posting that and many thanks for listing the sources for your mini's.

Jordan Peacock wrote:
. I've been told that "Conquest of Empire" (large board game) has a bunch of plastic triremes in it that could've made my job easier, but that would've been an expensive purchase JUST to get the triremes (and the rest of the minis wouldn't really be to scale).

CotE is a decent source for mini's for a starter Roman army. IIRC the infantry and calvary figs are 20mm scale, but many GM's would probably want to paint them because the armies are repeated 6 times and each is in a different solid color - one of them purple. Surprised As well, although there are Triremes, they're in a much smaller scale than the infantry figs - I'd estimate something like 1:1000 with the infantry in 1:72. Unless you use them on a different scale than the soldier, they'd look very much out of place. Still, CotE is fairly inexpensive and a not too complex boardgame that can be a lot of fun if you have 4 or more players to get together to play it. So some gamers here might be able to scratch 2 itches with it. Wink
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean "Conquest of Empire" is expensive? I found it twice for $2 or $3. As it is from the same game series as Axis and Allies that is the scale of the infantry figures and the ships in the game
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
As it is from the same game series as Axis and Allies that is the scale of the infantry figures and the ships in the game

Are you sure about that VonDan? A&A infantry are 15mm (1/100) and the ships and subs are 1/1850. I could have sworn the infantry figs in my Conquest of the Empire game were the same size as the 20mm (1/72) scale of my Airfix and Caesar military miniatures, and that sub scale seems a bit small for the Triremes. I haven't had my CotE box out of storage for a while, so I certainly could be wrong about that. As well, the 2 games are from completely different publishers (A&A Hasbro, CotE Eagle Games), so I'm a bit surprised they're based on the same series - hadn't heard that before.
Anyway.... I can't say I payed as little as you did for it, but my set was at least less than $50. Wink
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally both games were put out by Milton Bradly as part of the five part, Master Series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamemaster_%28board_game_series%29

Hasbro bought out both MB and Avalon Hill and put out the new version of A&A under the Hasbro AVH sub brand, I did not know COTE was reissued and have not seen the new version. In the original games the men were about 1/72 scale, I'm at work with my games and i just looked and the WW2 are just under 1/72 scale, the Romans look just a hair taller than the ww2 infantry and that is exaggerated by the Romans spear height

If you found a cheap or incomplete version of each game there is every thing you need for this setting at about 1/72 scale for the men and a smaller scale for the Roman ships and German subs
scourger
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otherdoc wrote:
Hi! I just found this topic. I'm the guy that put together that home-brewed "Savage Rome" document for my home game (the one that's linked to earlier in the thread). I was very pleased to hear someone might have gotten some use out of it! I'd be curious to know if it ended up being helpful to your campaign at all? I've been working on expanding it into more of a full setting that would include multiple empires and would welcome any feedback you might have.

I used it for preparation, but my game was less fantasy and more weird for the players. They encountered some fantastic things, but they weren't playing anything supernatural.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the 2002 version of the Sid Meier's Civilization board game for $2, as it is also by Eagle Games i will ASSuME the men and ships are the same as in the Eagle Games reissue of Conquest of the Empire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: