Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you guess, yes, another cyborg question (HoE classic)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amdramnar
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Can you guess, yes, another cyborg question (HoE classic) Reply with quote

Got a player creating a cyborg with an infiltration package. Took the Sampson system and Shield Arcane as the only extra stuff. This will give him enough drain to run Shield (Arcane) with 9 drain giving him AV3 for all damaging attacks AND 95% resistance against all non-damaging powers.

Along with the 4d12+4 STR from Sampson and Fightin' Axes 5 will be a tough little thing in melee.

The question/comment I have though is by taking Emancipated 4 he has no Rules of Engagement and thus for all practical purposes nothing the AI can do. So no AI to mess with him, no manitu to mess with him. This fits the rules but seems a bit against the spirit of the cyborg. Any thoughts.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you guess, yes, another cyborg question (HoE classic Reply with quote

Amdramnar wrote:
Got a player creating a cyborg with an infiltration package. Took the Sampson system and Shield Arcane as the only extra stuff. This will give him enough drain to run Shield (Arcane) with 9 drain giving him AV3 for all damaging attacks AND 95% resistance against all non-damaging powers.

Along with the 4d12+4 STR from Sampson and Fightin' Axes 5 will be a tough little thing in melee.

Except he can't hurt anything with his axe while his shield is active.

"This barrier stops attacks moving both in and out of the shield..."

Also, I believe the Drain costs are switched for Energy and Arcane. Arcane protects against physical, arcane, and energy, but costs 3 points per AV while the energy only one costs 4 points? I'm pretty sure that's reversed.

Plus, the basic Infiltrator package alone costs 4 drain plus the 2 for the Samson unit, where is he getting the 9 extra Drain? He might have it if he doesn't run all his Infiltrator stuff, but that would mean a manitou with a d12 Spirit.

If that's the case, then the character is in trouble when he takes a hit to the head and his fetter is damaged, cause he's already lost 4 die types to his Spirit from his equipment which gives a pretty good edge to the manitou.

Also, be sure he sets out where all his equipment is installed. He doesn't have enough spaces to install both his SRU and his Shield in his Torso, so one of them has to go in a limb or head (4 out of the 7 torso points are already taken up with the Infiltrator and Samson unit). I'm sure neither of those are things the character wants damaged, and not all body armor covers all locations.

Amdramnar wrote:
The question/comment I have though is by taking Emancipated 4 he has no Rules of Engagement and thus for all practical purposes nothing the AI can do. So no AI to mess with him, no manitu to mess with him. This fits the rules but seems a bit against the spirit of the cyborg. Any thoughts.

Again, as noted above, the manitou is still there, and if a head shot doesn't kill the borg, it's going to release his hitchhiker some. Also, the player took the weakest of three types of cyborgs available. He may look normal, but he's not, and settlements that don't like cyborgs are going to like even less the idea of an infiltrator that's been in their midst all along.

www.peginc.com
Amdramnar
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This barrier stops attacks moving both in and out of the shield..."
Wow nice to know.

Follow up questions, Targeting Computer has 1 drain. If they leave it turned off they can always turn it on as a free action since you can activate one system. If you want to activate more than one system at once it takes an action.

Easy enough. What if he wants to fire a cyborg weapon say a Lee-Enfield IW-100C Sunburst which has a drain of 2/shot. If he fires this the same round he turns on the Targeting Computer, does this count as more than one activation since they both have drain. I lean toward no, he can still activate the Targeting Computer as a free action, but figure I would throw the question out there.
Fists-of-Dorn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

If the cyborg's weapon has a weapon targeter (All cyborg weapons in the book come with one, others have to have one purchased and installed) attached then the shield will automatically flicker long enough for the attack to pass through.

As for the differences in drain cost for the shields, I've always wondered if the costs were flipped, but eventually settled on it being the way they wanted it because it was never mentioned in any of the errata.
Plus if his player is like me, he got himself a Greater Manitou and has sixteen drain to work with.

I believe the SRU and Shield must be mounted in the torso. If it comes down to it, swap out the torso for a cybernetic version, though that will cut into his remaining spirit and drain. -Also you might decide to mitigate much of the spirit loss for systems contained within replacement body parts; even some of the drain costs for things like specialty hands.
One tool to keep it from being active all the time, as it seems you may be a bit worried of such, is that the shield isn't supposed to be subtle when it is on. Since there aren't a lot of folks that trust cyborgs farther than they could throw him, he won't even have the opportunity to interact with a lot of people- which would be a shame in an rpg Razz

The targeting computer can be shut off when not used. I wouldn't considering firing a cyborg weapon to interfere with switching on the targeting computer as a simple/short- whichever the "free" one is, as I often forget.

You can always develop the AI, discuss with the player what the voice is like, the personality type of the AI, etc. Just because there are no RoE to enforce doesn't mean that the AI doesn't speak up from time to time; it's more fun that way.

Hope that helps out.

-Fists.
Amdramnar
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This barrier stops attacks moving both in and out of the shield...

Ok, I think I got a better idea on what my player is thinking. He understands the shield works in both directions but interprets this as if the shield gives him AV3, it effectively gives his opponents AV3. So it does not stop attacks in both directions but applies the Armor in both directions.

If a melee attack is made against a person with armor, as long as the damage of the weapon is not mitigated to 0, they get full strength added to the damage roll.

So with the shield at full power (AV3), using a Great Axe (STR + 2d10), drops the damage (2d10 -> 2d8 -> 2d6 -> 2d4) to STR + 2d4. Since he has the Sampson system, he would do 4d12 + 4 + 2d4. Even against someone with AV1 he would still do 4d12 + 4 + 1d4.

It looks like an affective Minion stopper. Going up against Lt. or Boss or Servitors he would have to turn off the shield and lose the AV3 but then doing full damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: