Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gen Con 2012 Savage Saturday Night!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Con Suite
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil Mike
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Gen Con 2012 Savage Saturday Night! Reply with quote

Hi everybody! Steve and I are very thankful to all the GMs who ran games for Savage Saturday Night! What an experience this year was! We are still calculating the final totals, but once again, the Savages stepped up, ran a ton of games (almost double what was listed in the book) and we seated everyone who stood in line!

From the bottom of our hearts, we thank you all! We certainly count ourselves in fine company, knowing how many of you love Savage Worlds as much as we do.

We'll be sharing more info later (after everyone recuperates), so keep watching the Pinnacle page and/or this thread for more details.

Sincerely,
Evil Mike & Chaos Steve
vickeya
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

Thanks to you and the rest of the PEG team for putting together another SSN! Although my game had sold out early, only two of my eight players were ones who originally bought tickets to it. Thanks to the way SSN is organized, I still had a full table.

I'm thrilled to say that the four of the six fill-ins had not previously played Savage Worlds, and by the end of the game seemed to be fully appreciative of the system! One woman, Lisa, had only ever played an RPG once before. At first, she was quiet and hesitant. By Hour 3, her character was scouting ahead of the party and ignoring the advice of her more experienced friend's character to make her own decisions and forge on.

The end of the game (Usiku River in the as yet systemless Tunse'al setting) saw a tie for who the table thought were the most in character (two obviously well-versed role-players) and Lisa being part of the group who was interested in a coupon for the Studio 2/Pinnacle booth for the last day. She won! The two who were most in-character are getting setting guides when they're released.

All-in-all, it was a complete blast. At one point, I told the table I'd love to play games with them on a regular basis. They were helpful to each other as players and really played out the Edges and Hindrances from one end to the other.

Highlights: the mixed-tribe group scaring the daylights out of a youth who'd never seen the peoples from beyond The Wetlands; the quick-tempered Gale finding a special mushroom for the hedonistic Korrin; the Korrin eating the mushroom for stress relief after the Kresh with the snake phobia and the "violence only as a last resort" Gelid worked with the rest of the group to save themselves from a serpentine family; the group one-by-one deciding to throw caution to the wind and slide down a slippery decline in an underground tunnel into the total darkness, resulting in several Agility rolls; getting creative with the last encounter (I love it when they split the party!); and finding out the reason for all of the mess they risked their lives for and contemplating the merits of corporeal punishment. In between, there were some stellar rolls on all kinds of actions both in and out of combat.

While I had fun the whole con, again, SSN was the highlight of Gen Con for me.

--Vickey Very Happy
Evil Mike
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickeya wrote:
Hi there!

Thanks to you and the rest of the PEG team for putting together another SSN! Although my game had sold out early, only two of my eight players were ones who originally bought tickets to it. Thanks to the way SSN is organized, I still had a full table.

I'm thrilled to say that the four of the six fill-ins had not previously played Savage Worlds, and by the end of the game seemed to be fully appreciative of the system! One woman, Lisa, had only ever played an RPG once before. At first, she was quiet and hesitant. By Hour 3, her character was scouting ahead of the party and ignoring the advice of her more experienced friend's character to make her own decisions and forge on.

The end of the game (Usiku River in the as yet systemless Tunse'al setting) saw a tie for who the table thought were the most in character (two obviously well-versed role-players) and Lisa being part of the group who was interested in a coupon for the Studio 2/Pinnacle booth for the last day. She won! The two who were most in-character are getting setting guides when they're released.

All-in-all, it was a complete blast. At one point, I told the table I'd love to play games with them on a regular basis. They were helpful to each other as players and really played out the Edges and Hindrances from one end to the other.

Highlights: the mixed-tribe group scaring the daylights out of a youth who'd never seen the peoples from beyond The Wetlands; the quick-tempered Gale finding a special mushroom for the hedonistic Korrin; the Korrin eating the mushroom for stress relief after the Kresh with the snake phobia and the "violence only as a last resort" Gelid worked with the rest of the group to save themselves from a serpentine family; the group one-by-one deciding to throw caution to the wind and slide down a slippery decline in an underground tunnel into the total darkness, resulting in several Agility rolls; getting creative with the last encounter (I love it when they split the party!); and finding out the reason for all of the mess they risked their lives for and contemplating the merits of corporeal punishment. In between, there were some stellar rolls on all kinds of actions both in and out of combat.

While I had fun the whole con, again, SSN was the highlight of Gen Con for me.

--Vickey Very Happy

That game sounds great! Thanks for running!
zamboni
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an awesome time running Savage Star Wars and want to thank all of the guys that sat at my table. It was just an absolute blast GMing at SSN. Definitely want to make that a tradition!
DHRDawg
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year was my first year to run a SSN game and it was a BLAST! My players were great! I ran The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The 2000's, everyone was cool and seemed like they had as much fun as I did. The premise of my game was The League vs Zombies. Bill (from Kill Bill) was back from the dead. He got a hold of the Necronomicon and was set to raise an undead army of his own. The League had to stop him!

The characters were Cherry Darling (Planet Terror), The Bride (Kill Bill), Lara Croft, Sebastian Haff aka Elvis Presley (Bubba-Hotep), Tallahassee and Columbus (Zombieland), Shaun Riley (Shaun of the Dead) and Machete Cortez (Machete).

Some highlights...
The Bride reversing her 5 Point Exploding Heart Technique on the fallen Machete (Incapacitated) and kickstarting his heart to bring him to 2 wounds and back into the fight!

Ripping the back door of the bus off so Cherry Darling can just sit there and shoot hordes of zombies with her leg machine gun!

Cherry Darling being taken over by the power of the Necronomicon and was turned into a Deadite temporarily and her shooting Tallahassee with a grenade (launched from her leg!) and him SOAKING it...but the bus he was in didn't!

After the destruction of the bus, Lara Croft found an El Camino for the group to ride toward the final scene and of course someone (forget who) painted a number "3" on the side for Tallahassee. (Zombieland reference)

The Bride and Elle Driver (yes, she was back with Bill...had cybernetic eyes now!) sword fighting on top of the temple at the end scene with The Bride scoring outrageous damage of Elle (something in the 30's or 40's!!! with a sword) and killing her!

The guy (forget his name...sorry!) playing Cherry Darling suggesting that one of the kidnapped kids was her child, which made killing Bill even more spectacular to his character!

Professor Sherman Klump (Nutty Professor) was the League director and he died in Act 1. Fortunately for him, he was juiced up with Dr. Herbert West's (The Reanimator) Reanimation formula and was able to talk and guide the hero's about to kill Billl...yet again, but he was only a head...his body was destroyed.

The various things they put Klump's head in...a fruit bowl, the front of Elvis' walker, the dashboard of the bus was hilarious!

Below are pictures of the same game but at an earlier time.

I'm definitely going to run a game next year for SSN, Thanks for everyone for setting this up and to my players I had (in all sessions of my game not just SSN!)

If you haven't run or played in a SSN I suggest you do. Savage Worlds attracts some really cool and creative people, you are almost guaranteed to have a great time!

You can see Klump's Head mini here!

[/u]
chitownroy
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawg your League game was fantastic even though I did not play it at SSN instead playing it during the day. I really think each Gencon you could pick a different era to call upon the members of the League and never use the same members twice.
DHRDawg
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chitownroy wrote:
Dawg your League game was fantastic even though I did not play it at SSN instead playing it during the day. I really think each Gencon you could pick a different era to call upon the members of the League and never use the same members twice.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was thinking too.
The game you and your buddies were in was great too. I like seeing how everyone has their own take on the same iconic characters. Everyone plays them differently, pretty cool to see.
MarshalEric
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHRDawg wrote:
The characters were Cherry Darling (Planet Terror), The Bride (Kill Bill), Lara Croft, Sebastian Haff aka Elvis Presley (Bubba-Hotep), Tallahassee and Columbus (Zombieland), Shaun Riley (Shaun of the Dead) and Machete Cortez (Machete).
[/u]

Where did you get those awesome minis?
DHRDawg
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarshalEric wrote:
DHRDawg wrote:
[/u]

Where did you get those awesome minis?

I started this thread about the minis...check it out!

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=364093#364093
Big Juju
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see spent brass on the table. How'd you work that in?
DHRDawg
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Juju wrote:
I see spent brass on the table. How'd you work that in?

I used those as Bennies. The 9mm were for the players and the bigger 308's I used as the GM Bennies. We used those in my home zombie game and they fit the setting perfectly and since this game had a lot of zombies I thought why not. Oh and I ran put of 9mm to give to players (had a lot of players and I should have brought more) so I started giving them the 308's.

I flew in from Florida to Indy and was nervous about putting them in my luggage. I know they are harmless and not live ammo but does TSA? So I tried to find a definative answer and really couldn't get any. I guess it was alright as I got them to Indy and back home without conflict. Now would I put them on my carry on luggage...no way.
Big Juju
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea - and it gives me an excuse to go to the range!
vickeya
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHRDawg wrote:

I flew in from Florida to Indy and was nervous about putting them in my luggage. I know they are harmless and not live ammo but does TSA? So I tried to find a definative answer and really couldn't get any. I guess it was alright as I got them to Indy and back home without conflict. Now would I put them on my carry on luggage...no way.

I've had the same issue with getting definitive answers on bringing stuff on planes. However, my potential contraband was nowhere near as interesting as yours! Fun bennies, by the way. #gunbattle

Vickey

(For curious folks, mine was just trying to figure out if I could bring maple syrup for gifts to England from NY in 2009 and recently if I could bring a home made sandwich for my trip back from last weekend's Dragon Con...neither got confiscated.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Con Suite All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: