Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gencon 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Con Suite
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chitownroy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which seminars Christina?
Boldfist
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been to GenCon in three years. I'm super excited to be going but I also remember how much stuff there is to do and how many people there are to wade through... It's easy to get lost in the shuffle and forget or not know about things that are happening.

Other than the Studio2 booth and SSN is there anywhere set aside for Savage Worlds gaming?
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning to run one or two "pick up games" of Shaintar while at the show. I am still finalizing plans on how to set up the "where and when," but hope to share that soon.

This is in addition to the Savage Saturday Night event.

Bad Dog. Good Games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Christina Stiles
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chitownroy wrote:
Which seminars Christina?

Here's my schedule:

Wednesday
15:30 Kobolds Meetup at the Hard Rock Cafe

Thursday
1100-1200 The Art of the Pitch (with James Ernest, Jess Hartley, etc)
1400-1800 Journeys into the West--Pathfinder game

Friday
0900-1000 RPG Freelancing 101 (with Ben McFarland)
1000-1100 Making your World (with Wolfgang Baur)
1200-1300 How to Get a Woman (To Play Your Game) (with Jess Hartley, Michelle Lyons-McFarland, Susan Morris, and more women of the industry)
1400-1500 Freelancing in the Game Industry (with Matt Forbeck, Steve Kenson, Ryan Macklin, and Gareth-Michael Skarka)

Saturday
0900-1000 Meet the Minions (with Ben McFarland and Wade Rockett)
1100-1200 Pink Dice And Pony Dungeons (with Stan! and Jess Hartley)
1300-1400 RPG / Fiction Crossovers (with James Wyatt, Michelle Lyons, and Jess Hartley)

Sunday
1000-1100 Myth, Folklore, And Religion As GM Tools (with James Wyatt and Steve Kenson)

Remember, this is the first time GenCon has had so many women guests of honor! Hope you will come out and meet some of us!
tylermo
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenCon is definitely out for me. I was going to be selling for a gaming company, so admission and food was covered, but the stars didn't align in the travel and accommodations department. Guess I'll have to miss all the fun and excitement for the 3rd year in a row. I think my friends from another game company may be stopping by my neck of the woods late Sunday, as they make their way back to Arkansas. Have fun at GenCon. I don't even want to think about how many Savage Worlds releases I'm behind on now.
vickeya
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnomestress wrote:
The SO & I are registered for RPG1234364 Savage Saturday Night: Caravan of Troubles for SSN. It's our first GenCon and our first SSN. I can't wait!

Gnomestress: I wrote Caravan of Troubles & my better half is running it. Looking forward to having you and your SO at one of our tables!

Vickey
PurdueBrad
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick summary of my Gen Con experience:

Arrived on Thursday and did some quick shopping as soon as we arrived. I picked up an Savage Deluxe Explorer-sized (congrats on the ENnie!!!), Deadlands: Hell on Earth (looks amazing), Agents of Oblivion (a truly unique and interesting setting), and the Pinnacle dice/dice bag (kind of wish the bag was more durable as some of the stitching is pulling but the dice are awesome!). In addition, I scored a half price megamat from Chessex that's a factory-second due to a mark on the hex side but we don't play hex. Finally, I picked up one of my Kickstarter copies of Mortiston, USA and it looks good too! Finally, chatted up the guys at TAG, ScryingEye, Clint with Pinnacle, and Eloy from Third Eye Games.

Game #1- Deadlands: The Maze
Chaos Steve ran a terrific two hour Deadlands game that was a ton of fun. My group included two friends and then a solid remainder. I played the reporter and loved the character. Unfortunately for the rest of us, my one buddy was a loot monkey and stole a bunch of money and our boat as the rest of us were locked in combat, abandoning us after the last battle!!! Great game, definitely recommend it. Chaos Steve and Evil Mike (mentioned later) do a great job of making the Deadlands experience unique with amazing bullet counters (wooden models that mirror the bullet slots of the guns they represent and empty shells for the actual ammo) and beautiful miniatures.

Game #2- Learn to Whack Mooks and Shed Disguises (Deadfellas card game)
I did the in-hall demo last year and it was hard to follow given the chaos. This year I signed up for the outside demo and lasted one game until I had to run back into the hall to buy it. The graphics are great and the concept is a ton of fun. We played a ton of Munchkin until a year ago due to some Munchkin-esque tension at the table, switched to Guillotine, but this may be my new favorite.

Game #3- Hellfrost- Suffer the Little Children
WOW, this was, hands down, the best table of players I've ever had at a Con game. My trio was there and another trio of friends were there and we had an absolute blast! I'm not big on playing a character with magic but in Hellfrost I always try to play a Frostborn to get a soft exposure to magic. I did so here and, as usual with Hellfrost, loved the experience. The role-playing and humor at the table can't be matched, probably, by any other game at the Con.

Friday
A quick turn around sleep-wise and an early start gaming-wise.

Game #4- League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (and women) 2000's
The GM put together a terrific cast of character for a game with a really fun concept. Going around the table, the characters that participated were Machete, Shaun (of Shaun of the Dead fame), "Elvis" from Bubba HoTep, Tallahasee and Columbus from Zombieland, Cherry Darling from Planet Terror, Nacho Libre, and Lara Croft (my character). Bride/Beatrix Kiddo from Kill Bill was available but unplayed which, given that Bill had risen from the dead for our story, was a tad bit unfortunate but it all worked out. The concept and pop culture references made this game awesome!

Game #5- Star Wars Saga Edition: The Xious Chronicles
I have a soft spot in my gaming heart for Star Wars and enjoy Saga Edition. This was my only non-Savage Worlds RPG on the schedule but it was still good! For the first time in my gaming career, I willingly and knowingly shot at another player character. Lets just say that he was giving in to the dark side (don't want to spoil any plot details) and I rolled a crit 20. The double damage roll (6d8 rather than 3d8) and the sneak attack bonus (additional 4d6 damage) lit him up for 45 HP damage. Unfortunately, the evil was flowing through him and...well, no spoilers here!

Game #6- Star Wars Savage- Escape from Byss
A great opportunity to compare a Savaged version of Star Wars to the Saga Edition. The GM did a great job of making a Star Wars setting that was not unwieldy, gave the Jedi's strength, but still maintained the value of the other characters. Zamboni from this forum ran the game and was terrific. My friend, who will now forever be known as "Loot Monkey" going back to the Deadlands game, somehow jacked an AT-ST during the game and managed to smuggle it off planet! In addition to being a strongly GMed game, Zamboni set it at a great time in the SW canon. It's basically the Dark Times between the third movie of the Travesty and the first movie of the real trilogy. Awesome time to set a game. By comparison to Saga, this played with that beautiful Savage Worlds ease, very enjoyable. Also, we got to play with 2 of the 3 guys that made up the great table from Hellfrost.

Saturday-
A little more sleep with a 10am start.

Game #7- Deadlands: Hell on Wheels
Despite my typical resistance to playing a character with magic abilities, I chose to play the Huckster. Evil Mike tried to live up to his name, actively rooting against my Deals with the Devil so that he could demonstrate backlash!!! Luckily, he never got his wish. Very cool character. The game was inspired by the TV show Hell on Wheels and worked really well. We did have the unique experience of having one of our characters, on two different occasions, shoot allies because of one of his hindrances. Both times he dealt massive damage! Evil Mike was also quite generous, giving out copies of the Deadlands comic from Comic-Con Baltimore, much appreciated.

Game #8- Savage Fringeworthy: Victoria-Victorian
I had a bit of trouble immersing myself in this game and I'm not quite sure why. The Fringeworthy setting seems very cool but I didn't think that this one-shot explored enough of the uniqueness of that setting. All of that said, I definitely would consider giving it another chance. One nice thing here was that I again got to play with that great trio from the Hellfrost game. They are great guys to play a game with.

Game #9- SAVAGE SATURDAY NIGHT!!!! Apocalypse Prevention Incorporated
This was the game I most looked forward to thanks to both the environment of Savage Saturday and the fact that I am enamored with the API setting. This game did not disappoint and may have been the highlight of my Con (although, as you can probably tell, there was a lot of competition from the other great games I played). Ron R. ran a fun, interesting, and unique event that was a great balance of investigation and combat. We were really forced to be creative to solve some problems. We were also lucky enough to have Chris from both the Rocky Mountain Savages and Smiling Jack's at our table and he is a terrific role-player. He was even nice enough to pass out d6's to us on behalf of the Rocky Mountain Savages...thanks guys! I had the interesting of experience of playing a character with a fake British accent as her quirk and it made it a fun night of play.

Sunday-
One last stop in the exhibition hall to put in my pre-order for Savage API and I was lucky enough to stumble across the Fantasy Flight Games beta edition of their upcoming Star Wars RPG Edge of the Galaxy!!!!

I enjoyed Gen Con last year but my games were only 50-50 enjoyable to average at best. This time I LOVED 8 out my 9 games and still saw a lot of potential in that 9'th game. For all of you that helped make this a great Con experience, thanks a ton, it was excellent!!! If you played at a table with me, I hope you enjoyed the experience just as much as I did.
Evil Mike
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurdueBrad wrote:
A quick summary of my Gen Con experience:
Game #7- Deadlands: Hell on Wheels
Despite my typical resistance to playing a character with magic abilities, I chose to play the Huckster. Evil Mike tried to live up to his name, actively rooting against my Deals with the Devil so that he could demonstrate backlash!!! Luckily, he never got his wish. Very cool character. The game was inspired by the TV show Hell on Wheels and worked really well. We did have the unique experience of having one of our characters, on two different occasions, shoot allies because of one of his hindrances. Both times he dealt massive damage! Evil Mike was also quite generous, giving out copies of the Deadlands comic from Comic-Con Baltimore, much appreciated.
I enjoyed Gen Con last year but my games were only 50-50 enjoyable to average at best. This time I LOVED 8 out my 9 games and still saw a lot of potential in that 9'th game. For all of you that helped make this a great Con experience, thanks a ton, it was excellent!!! If you played at a table with me, I hope you enjoyed the experience just as much as I did.

Great to see you again PurdueBrad! I was hoping to show off that backlash table, but you foiled me! Smile
chitownroy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's okay Mike after some prodding I was able properly display the awesomeness of the backlash table. I will write a more in depth Gencon report later this week but let me just say the cards hated me in every game. For the life of me I could not get a break for initiative or even do better than a pair of aces when dealing with the devil.
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would very much like to see what rules Zamboni used for Savage Star Wars...
gnomestress
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vickey, we loved the setting and the game was fantastic. Savage Saturday was great to participate in. I'll definitely be there next year!
vickeya
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnomestress wrote:
Vickey, we loved the setting and the game was fantastic. Savage Saturday was great to participate in. I'll definitely be there next year!

I'm so glad to hear that and Bob will be, too! The setting was his brainchild, and while it has morphed a lot, it still has the essence of where it began. Bob told me what a great table he had; you all made the night really fun for him. Smile We'd love to have you at our games again, but no matter whose game you play at next year's SSN, you're likely to have a great time.

If you want to get on the newsletter or forums, you can at our website (in my signature for Obatron Productions). We'll notify folks when we release the setting guide and adventures.

Have a terrific day!

Vickey
Haroth
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurdueBrad wrote:
Unfortunately for the rest of us, my one buddy was a loot monkey and stole a bunch of money and our boat as the rest of us were locked in combat, abandoning us after the last battle!!! Great game, definitely recommend it.

Santiago is no loot monkey. He is the greatest shot in all the west, an even more stupendous climber of rocks, and most importantly, $800 richer than everyone else in his party!

GenCon was a blast for me this year, and very savage to boot. In case it wasn't obvious, I was part of PurdueBrad and chitownroy's trio and all of our games were quite brilliant. It's insane some of the things you can pull off in a two to four hour one shot at a con when you consider how wild you're willing to be with a character that you'll never pick up again. The three of us pretty consistently exceeded our own expectations, and I think some of those of our GM and fellow players. It was overall a great experience.

I just want to thank all the GM's and players that put up with my antics while serving up a phenomenal experience all around -- especially Zamboni, who adapted to the ridiculousness of my Chandra-Fan with no shooting skill piloting an AT-ST with a little bit of luck and a ridiculous amount of bennies thrown into shooting rerolls. Great stuff.
zamboni
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Vinzent - I looked at two different versions of Savaged Star Wars, but in the end decided just to take the Core Deluxe rules and flavor them for Star Wars. To me it seemed easier than coming up with a new system for the force.

The jedi don't feel exactly like you want jedi too, but it is by far the simplest way to run it. The two Savaged Star Wars conversions our there are great, but just weren't right for what I was trying to do.

The table with PurdueBrad on Friday night was amazing and certainly the highlight of the con for me. But, truly all three games I ran went really well I thought.
The GIT!
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to take part in the Savage Terminator game at SSN and had a great time. The table had five people from my crowd from Canada (and jibbajibba from the UK) and two great guys from Michigan who we bumped into again in the exhibit hall on Sunday.

The game was a blast and some of the miniatures on display were awesome. The highlight for me was using an RPG on three scientists who had been collaborating with SkyNet Cool and watching jibbajibba's leadership slowly fail as our characters all started bickering Laughing

I didn't get to play any other Savage Worlds games at GenCon as I was busy trying out some other systems but it was great to be part of SSN again.

I'll probably be at Origins next year and will give some serious thought to running a game at the Origins SSN.

Great seeing chitownroy et al after SSN - sorry we didn't get any gaming in together this year Sad
chitownroy
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay here is my rundown of the Gencon 2012 experience.

Savage Deadlands: The Maze - This one was run by Chaos Steve and was a great way to start off Gencon. Great game with my son and PurdueBrad with a rather odd finish when my son who played Santiago ran off with the boat and all of the money. Damn Santiago. Great job Steve.

Savage: Suffer the Children (Hellfrost) - Another game with Brad and Codey along with three other players who were a lot of fun. The GM did a great job and the characters were really well made, well except for the Firemage that froze his butt off. Loved the heck out of my character who used blade dancer almost to his death.

Savage: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Got into this game with a generic and wound up playing Machete. This game featured the usual suspects (Codey and Brad) and the GM was a player from the Hellfrost game the night before. This setting was a fantastic idea and was well executed with some very cool characters.

Bulldogs: Getting There (FATE) - This one was a tough game because none of us understood the FATE system so it was more of a learning experience with some awkward moments. Not bad but just not as entertaining as the Savage Games.

Savage: Hell on Wheels - The game and Evil Mike were very good unfortunately my bad luck with the cards continued into this game. Considering I was playing a Huckster, bad cards were not a good thing. Throughout the whole Con and multiple Savage games I do not think I got higher than a King and all totaled I think I only had 4-5 face cards. Lots of fun and the first time I have ever played a Huckster. Thanks Evil Mike.

Savage: API - Fantastic SSN along with getting to game with Brad, Codey and, wait for it, Chris the Savage Mommy. I was a little hesitant on this game not knowing what API would add to Savage but I was definitely pleasantly surprised. There were some very cool new races in our group to include a demon and half Angel. Chris played his character Synth incredibly well and Ron ran a great game. Hats off to Pinnacle for a great SSN.

As for shopping I think the least amount of time in the exhibit hall ever at Gencon. I wound up picking up a couple copies of the Savage Deluxe Explorers Edition, Savage AFO, a whole lot of Gumshoe along with a couple other miscellaneous things. Overall I would rate this the best Gencon I have ever been to period. I regret not being able to game with The Git and Jibba Jabba but hopefully we can connect at Origins.

Next up is Who's Yer Con (March) which is in Indy and is free. Yes I said free. I would highly recommend this con for some great gaming. Hope to see some of you there.
Evil Mike
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chitownroy wrote:

Savage: Hell on Wheels - The game and Evil Mike were very good unfortunately my bad luck with the cards continued into this game. Considering I was playing a Huckster, bad cards were not a good thing. Throughout the whole Con and multiple Savage games I do not think I got higher than a King and all totaled I think I only had 4-5 face cards. Lots of fun and the first time I have ever played a Huckster. Thanks Evil Mike.

Next up is Who's Yer Con (March) which is in Indy and is free. Yes I said free. I would highly recommend this con for some great gaming. Hope to see some of you there.

Great having you in the game! Steve and I may be at Who's Yer Con, so look me up if you're there!
Savage Mommy
Savage Mommy!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. I had a great time in the Savage API game. All the players were great. Thanks to my fellow Rocky Mountain Savage, Ron R. for running a great game for us!

Smiling Jack's Bar and Grill
http://p5productions.com/sjbg/
DHRDawg
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurdueBrad wrote:

Game #3- Hellfrost- Suffer the Little Children
WOW, this was, hands down, the best table of players I've ever had at a Con game. My trio was there and another trio of friends were there and we had an absolute blast! I'm not big on playing a character with magic but in Hellfrost I always try to play a Frostborn to get a soft exposure to magic. I did so here and, as usual with Hellfrost, loved the experience. The role-playing and humor at the table can't be matched, probably, by any other game at the Con.

I played the Firemage that had a HUGE hinderance of cold blooded, in the Hellfrost setting, I'm surprised he lived. I too had a great time, great game and great players.

PurdueBrad wrote:

Game #4- League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (and women) 2000's
The GM put together a terrific cast of character for a game with a really fun concept. Going around the table, the characters that participated were Machete, Shaun (of Shaun of the Dead fame), "Elvis" from Bubba HoTep, Tallahasee and Columbus from Zombieland, Cherry Darling from Planet Terror, Nacho Libre, and Lara Croft (my character). Bride/Beatrix Kiddo from Kill Bill was available but unplayed which, given that Bill had risen from the dead for our story, was a tad bit unfortunate but it all worked out. The concept and pop culture references made this game awesome!

Thanks! I had a blast running this game you guys did a great job. I love how everyone embraced the concept and their characters, it made it really memorable.
DHRDawg
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chitownroy wrote:

Savage: Suffer the Children (Hellfrost) - Another game with Brad and Codey along with three other players who were a lot of fun. The GM did a great job and the characters were really well made, well except for the Firemage that froze his butt off. Loved the heck out of my character who used blade dancer almost to his death.

Yeah your Bladedancer was great, I loved that character. The game was great. As I said before the players did a really awesome job. Mark (the GM) did a great job also. We even did a Mass Battle at the end which was pretty cool.

chitownroy wrote:

Savage: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Got into this game with a generic and wound up playing Machete. This game featured the usual suspects (Codey and Brad) and the GM was a player from the Hellfrost game the night before. This setting was a fantastic idea and was well executed with some very cool characters.

Glad you liked it! I had a great time too. Funny, out of the 1 Playtest and the 3 games I ran of this game Machete seemed to almost always go last. I remember you getting some really bad cards. But Machete made up for it with that No Mercy Edge!

Already thinking about a League game for next year. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Con Suite All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: