Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most Stylish Kills from your deadlands experiences.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iskandar
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Most Stylish Kills from your deadlands experiences. Reply with quote

Because these kills involve monster weakness, posse types shoo. seriously, skedaddle. now. before we send "If ya smeeeell what Grimme is cooking" Christopher McGlothlin after ya (was a deadlands and huge wrestlin fan back in high school, so I got a huge kick out of all the pro wrestling references in the old texas rangers book).

Anyway, as we all know, the big bads of deadlands when they aint hiding behind two inches of solid plate sue have weaknesses. So, what's the most entertaining way you or your posse killed the big uns? Deadlands has been around since 1996, so if you have been playing regularly, you have probably killed some major characters more than once.

Stone- This was probably my favorite deadlands moment of all time. We were running the heart of darkness and me being the fate chip miser I was (not to mention having my character essentially be a copy of stone cold steve austin as a texas ranger definitely got me a ton of roleplaying chips) I had a ton of chips to blow, including two legends and I forget what else. Anyway, what ensued was something that should never have happened. I never trusted old pete and being the steve austin clone I was, I decided to check his chin, the stunner way. We had a house rule wherein the marshall had to play by some of the same rules as the player, with surprise and noticing stuff being some of the key ones, mostly to allow the players to be real sneaky like.

So, he decided to have old pete shake our hands after we decided to help him out. I ask for the marshall to make a surprise roll, which he somehow failed (with 10d12, that was a minor miracle) following house rules (something we had set up to allow sneak attacks) that meant no bonus for a fighting roll. (I had made a habit of stunning people up until then for no reason). So, fighting roll passed, time for an opposed strenght roll. Here is where the beauty of not having the the "no fate chips allowed in stone's presence" in classic came in. I put in almost every thing I had into that roll, mostly because I felt that pete was a bad guy and as princess bride has taught me, never trust a man in a mask. When I saw the dm roll 10d12, my suspicions were confirmed. Anyway, opposed strength roll time. I spent a blue chip and god knows how many whites and I won it with a raise. How the stunner basically works is it forces the target to make a vigor roll (tn 11) or be stunned and if you go bust you are either paralyzed, or if you are undead (lets say harrowed) your head comes off your body.

A long time ago I ran the numbers and going bust on a 10d12 roll (5 ones) has a probability of 4*10^-6. Aka, you have a 6 times better chance of getting a royal flush than you do that. Too bad "Ice Dagger" Steven James Williams never heard of no stinkin probability.

And that's how the earth was saved from the reckoners, not with a bang, but a stunner. Of course, ol pete was not really dead as his head was still intact if seperated from his body. That's why we had our mad scientist prepare a cage for his head so he could not eat any meat and regenerate. We then went on to fight evil across the weird west with the skull of old pete continually insulting us. Our marshall (who I occasionally talk to on facebook can still be reduced to shock by mentioning "10d12" and our posse gained a new motto: "Stat it or don't, we'll still kill it".

The other one was when a posse I was marshalling for managed to off mina devlin with a bomb made of dynamite and silver nails. They decided to distract her by flirting with her while a huckster used the shadow walking ability to drop off the bomb. What really took the cake on this one was the non chalant way my players responded to me (playing mina) after I failed a suprise roll. I asked "what are you doing?" And the harrowed posse member who was flirting with me responded "staring at your chest while waiting for the nail bomb to go off". Boom.

Those are just the two best ones, what about the devs? In your testing campaigns did you guys ever pull off a really entertaining kill on a big bad?
Tavis
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adios A-Mi-Go.

Player character old prospector. After 5 rounds of shuffling closer and closer to something he probably should have taken the hint about in the first round, me, the Marshall saying "You Explode".

SWD: 50 Fathoms (GM)
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Most Stylish Kills from your deadlands experiences. Reply with quote

iskandar wrote:
going bust on a 10d12 roll (5 ones)

6 ones, actually. You only go bust when more than half the dice are ones. 5 is only half of 10, so the character hadn't gone bust, yet; stupid white chips.
iskandar
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Stylish Kills from your deadlands experiences. Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
iskandar wrote:
going bust on a 10d12 roll (5 ones)

6 ones, actually. You only go bust when more than half the dice are ones. 5 is only half of 10, so the character hadn't gone bust, yet; stupid white chips.

oh crap, please don't tell my old marshall that. or old petes head. we'd hate to lose our favoritist travelling buddy ever!
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entry #1
From the Crucible Adventure in Smith & Robards we were fighting a swarm of devil bats over a bridge on a flat bed train car when my Mad Scientist suffered a catastrophic malfunction with his nearly full flamethrower. He was killed instantly, and most every one who survived the initial blast damage were thrown some 100 feet down into the canyon below. The worst thing was we had just about beaten the bats.

Entry #2
While fighting a 4000 year old nosferatu in his lair, one of the posse used his bow as an improvised club against the vampire's zombie grizzly bear doing more than enough damage to kill it is a single blow breaking the bow in the process and leaving the posse without an easy means to stake the nosferatu.

Entry #3
After the rest of the posse stepped sideways with the World of Darkness Garou, in part 1 of Under a Harrowed Moon, the huckster refused and found himself surrounded by dozens of men armed with Gatling weapons. He decided to set off the ghost rock bomb the posse just disarmed by shooting a Soul Blast where the detonator was. Unbeknownst to him that was the exact power I had the detonator infused with in a previous adventure. The bomb destroyed everything for miles and left the area as a huge Deadland. The Reckoners then had access to both the Deadlands and World of Darkness universes to spread fear increased their power twice as fast.
Jonah Hex
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clash957 wrote:
Entry #1
From the Crucible Adventure in Smith & Robards we were fighting a swarm of devil bats over a bridge on a flat bed train car when my Mad Scientist suffered a catastrophic malfunction with his nearly full flamethrower. He was killed instantly, and most every one who survived the initial blast damage were thrown some 100 feet down into the canyon below. The worst thing was we had just about beaten the bats.

Entry #2
While fighting a 4000 year old nosferatu in his lair, one of the posse used his bow as an improvised club against the vampire's zombie grizzly bear doing more than enough damage to kill it is a single blow breaking the bow in the process and leaving the posse without an easy means to stake the nosferatu.

Really? What about the broken pieces of bow with the nice jagged broken bits; or any of the "useless" arrows which were presumably made of wood, which should be nice and jagged once you break off the arrowhead?
PlatinumWarlock
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man...so many!

The most memorable for me, however, was when Thunderforge was running through a Reloaded version of the "Heart of Darkness" trilogy. I was running my fencer/huckster, while my wife ran a former trail guide with a cybernetic arm. We both had taken Veteran o' the Weird West, leaving me with one arm and her with....other issues, which I'll get to in a moment. However, Jules (my wife) always made a point to never eat meat and always did her best to ensure that everyone had enough trail rations...

After taking care of the Tremendae Gang in City o' Gloom, we were making our way towards Lost Angels when we began to the low rumble of a stampede: The Devil's Own Herd were upon us.

I'll spare you the details of the majority of the battle, but it was just as lethal as you might imagine. Our gunslinger/Agent and his Indian wife went down early on, as did the group's mad scientist. But when Jules' character was gored, that's when all hell broke loose.

You see, that group she was a trail guide for? Yeah, they were more like the Donner Party than any normal group. And lo, and behold, she rose up in the next round as a full-fledged wendigo, complete with a cybernetic buzz-saw arm!

Only two of the originals--my character and another huckster, whom I saved only by impaling my wife's character--managed to survive that session. It was every bit as bloody and messy as I'd hoped that campaign to be!
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonah Hex wrote:
Really? What about the broken pieces of bow with the nice jagged broken bits; or any of the "useless" arrows which were presumably made of wood, which should be nice and jagged once you break off the arrowhead?

Strangely, none of the posse wanted to get anywhere near Count Orlok to stake him. They ended up freeing their boss, a Blood Sorceress Vampire from the World of Darkness (you can guess which clan), who drained Nosferatu's power and hit the bloodsucker with acid gun filled with holy water to bring him down instead.
tense_n_nervous
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very new to this whole tabletop gaming thing, but our first session of The Flood (our third session ever) ended in abject tragedy.

My players were in the Good Intentions, Hellstromme's personal train, beset upon by Kang's maze rats. The first wave was dispatched with relative ease. Then, Wild Bill Hickock--included as an ally to help the PCs along the plot points and assist in battle--was flamed off the roof by an Iron Dragon gunner. The gunner then, in an extremely unlikely shot, flamed Father O'Bongrips (yeah) and our huckster through the slotted windows, incapacitating both. The venerable Father soon bled out.

The only PC left standing was John Wayne VII, Eskimo immigrant who don't speak too much english but can fight with the best of 'em. He was in the engine car with the still-burning body of a Chinese ogre. Six martial artists were on the roof, beginning to swarm the car. Already low on ammo, his revolver jammed. He was cornered in the engine room with no hope of survival--so he did what he had to do.

He took a bundle of dynamite from his bag, tossed it between the Ogre and the open ghost-rock steam engine, and slammed the emergency brake. The ogre slid into the dynamite and both were carried into the burning ghost rock, igniting the dynamite and spraying lethal ghost rock ash in all directions.

There were no survivors--other than Darius Hellstromme and presumably Wild Bill, who would within a few days time revive, follow the tracks to his allies... only to find a crater and twisted, blackened metal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: